Who Saw Richard Gere On Graham Norton's Show? Was He There Under Duress?....

13»

Comments

• Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Styker wrote: »
    If any actor has that attitude then I don't want my license payers money going towards having them on a show to promote their latest film then! They can't have it both ways and or all their own way!

I must say what terribly sad and selfish attitude you have.
    Probably pointless explaining why, I suspect it's beyond your understanding, it's all about you...
  • strictmachinestrictmachine Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I started cringing the moment he went into the audience and it didn't get any better for me throughout the show. He seemed a bit handsy with Saoirse Ronan and she didn't seem comfortable with it.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I started cringing the moment he went into the audience and it didn't get any better for me throughout the show. He seemed a bit handsy with Saoirse Ronan and she didn't seem comfortable with it.
    I thought he was a bit arsey and full of himself going into the audience.
    I guess it depends on your movie taste but to me and I expect others Malkovich is a better and just as famous actor. No airs and graces from him though. He was quite dignified sitting through it.
  • NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,128
    Forum Member
    dezire wrote: »
    The Meg Ryan interview you are referring to on Parky's show was spun to make her look awful. In fact if you watch it again on You Tube, Parkinson was the one at fault, he became rude and obnoxious when he realised she was an extremely bright and intelligent interviewee.
    Watch it again, I promise you that you will change your mind. I did.
    She was actually very intellectual in her response to his questions. The reason she didn't want to be there was because he was belittling everything she said.
    The program was spun by the media and that segment was highlighted to generate ratings.
    A real shame for the lady.

Poor Meg Ryan. I don't remember seeing the interview before, just watched it on Youtube. Parky seemed ready to pounce on anything she said from the off. When he asked about her saying 'acting was not in her nature' she just seemed as though it was something she'd said once but had forgotten about it but he almost accused her of lying. His technique was quite brusque and challenging I thought. I'm sure lots of actors love their 'job' but don't all feel completely at home being interviewed as 'themselves'. It doesn't mean they want to give up the job just to remain completely anonymous. He seemed to badger her imo. Maybe that's what interviewers do, once they sniff a bit of indecision or think they've found something contrary they dig at it like a dog with a bone! I don't think she was being difficult, she found him difficult!
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,542
    Forum Member
    Probably pointless explaining why, I suspect it's beyond your understanding, it's all about you...

:rolleyes:

Yeah, we should be happy with actors who just want to plug their latest film and not talk about anything else? Gere didn't even seem to be interested in talking about his latest film either and your calling me sad and selfish? :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    Poor Meg Ryan. I don't remember seeing the interview before, just watched it on Youtube. Parky seemed ready to pounce on anything she said from the off. When he asked about her saying 'acting was not in her nature' she just seemed as though it was something she'd said once but had forgotten about it but he almost accused her of lying. His technique was quite brusque and challenging I thought. I'm sure lots of actors love their 'job' but don't all feel completely at home being interviewed as 'themselves'. It doesn't mean they want to give up the job just to remain completely anonymous. He seemed to badger her imo. Maybe that's what interviewers do, once they sniff a bit of indecision or think they've found something contrary they dig at it like a dog with a bone! I don't think she was being difficult, she found him difficult!

I can't believe all this poor Meg Ryan stuff on this thread. Since that interview, what major films has she been in? I cannot recall any and if she hasn't been in major films since, surely that should tell you something about how that interview may have gone down in general?

I think she was being very defensive generally for some reason and I also think she hadn't been very popular since it came out that she and Russel Crowe had an affair while filming Proof Of Life and maybe that was one of the reasons why she was being so defensive in that interview? She might have been worried that Parky was going to ask her about it? I think it did Crow a lot of damage too as imo and from where i was standing, he seemed to lose a lot of his popularity that he had after making Gladiator when that story about them came out.
    Forum Member

I would have loved it if the BBC had cut him going to the audience right out! That would have played him at his own game if he was trying to waste time which imo it sounded like and looked like he was trying to do.
  • jendejende Posts: 21,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess being an actor it's in your contract to act and promote what you've acted in. They're doing a job and that is part of their job description. A bit like if someone starts a job and they are told what they are expected to do. So I guess if actors don't like the whole promoting what they do thing, then they shouldn't take the job. There's not many people who can say, I don't like that part of my job, so I will do it badly and get away with it!

Actors should do what they're paid to do and if they don't like the terms of their job description, then simply don't do it.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Without the fans seeing their movies, they wouldn't be casted much in the first place don't you think? Not that he has been casted much since the late 90's has he? The last film I remember he was in was Runaway Bride and I didn't bother watching that.

Also didn't you notice that the applause at the end for him wasn't that loud or big? Definetely not compared with other Hollywood stars that have been on that I saw like Denzil Washington who was very open and engaging.
    Yes but "Fans" decide to attach themselves to people of their own free will. They have no right to anything. An actor may just like acting and that is their job, not to please a bunch of people who have decided to follow the actor.

That is the usual "We have made you so we own you" nonsense that is Fanatical.

Many a great movie star with millions of fans have never or very rarely given interviews. Paul Newman hardly ever signed autographs. They owe no one anything!
    If any actor has that attitude then I don't want my license payers money going towards having them on a show to promote their latest film then! They can't have it both ways and or all their own way!
    :rolleyes:

Yeah, we should be happy with actors who just want to plug their latest film and not talk about anything else? Gere didn't even seem to be interested in talking about his latest film either and your calling me sad and selfish? :rolleyes:

Just to give the context to this side discussion, about this fan business and what fan's think they're owed.
    It wasn't specifically about Gere's appearance, I haven't seen it for one thing.

You can be as unhappy as you like, but the actor owes you or the fan absolutely nothing of their private life and thoughts.

As I said before you've paid for the product the film, that's all you 'own' that experience.
    It's hardly a secret that actors lie or embellish stories to make interesting/funny anecdotes for interviews.
    Micheal Gambon and being an ex-Ballet dancer comes to mind, he's told so many lies in interviews he's forgotten many of them and he isn't the only one.
    The round robin interview where the actor's in front of the movie poster, is apparently notorious for lies and tasks like inserting a set sentence/wild story into every interview.

Right, that's the end of that little tangent.
    Forum Member
    Just to give the context to this side discussion, about this fan business and what fan's think they're owed.
    It wasn't specifically about Gere's appearance, I haven't seen it for one thing.

You can be as unhappy as you like, but the actor owes you or the fan absolutely nothing of their private life and thoughts.

As I said before you've paid for the product the film, that's all you 'own' that experience.
    It's hardly a secret that actors lie or embellish stories to make interesting/funny anecdotes for interviews.
    Micheal Gambon and being an ex-Ballet dancer comes to mind, he's told so many lies in interviews he's forgotten many of them and he isn't the only one.
    The round robin interview where the actor's in front of the movie poster, is apparently notorious for lies and tasks like inserting a set sentence/wild story into every interview.

Right, that's the end of that little tangent.

I'm more interested in actors wider career, plenty of them do it on inside the actors studio too but I think that presenter doesn't ask the right questions but it proves they do talk in depth. If they are not prepared to do that on british shows, I don't want my license payers money going just for a quick plug of their latest film only. Too much of a waste in general imo.
  • pegasus2pegasus2 Posts: 5,293
    Forum Member
    As I understand it, chat show hosts are briefed beforehand on what to ask their guests either by the guest themselves or their PR. Norton wasn't just asking random questions, they were topics already agreed upon, so for Gere to say he couldn't remember certain things he was being asked about is odd to say the least. I agree with the person who has already said on here that Gere took a dislike to Norton.

As for the Ryan interview, well hallelujah, others have seen what I have seen.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    jende wrote: »
    I guess being an actor it's in your contract to act and promote what you've acted in. They're doing a job and that is part of their job description. A bit like if someone starts a job and they are told what they are expected to do. So I guess if actors don't like the whole promoting what they do thing, then they shouldn't take the job. There's not many people who can say, I don't like that part of my job, so I will do it badly and get away with it!

Actors should do what they're paid to do and if they don't like the terms of their job description, then simply don't do it.
    When Liam Neeson signed up for Taken he thought it was going to be straight to DVD. He thought "great, a few weeks in Paris and no promotion".
    He was a little miffed when it became a hit and he had to do the promo rounds :D
    Forum Member
    pegasus2 wrote: »
    As I understand it, chat show hosts are briefed beforehand on what to ask their guests either by the guest themselves or their PR. Norton wasn't just asking random questions, they were topics already agreed upon, so for Gere to say he couldn't remember certain things he was being asked about is odd to say the least. I agree with the person who has already said on here that Gere took a dislike to Norton.

As for the Ryan interview, well hallelujah, others have seen what I have seen.

RE BIB, that is how it should be done for sure imo, but the way Gere reacted happens quite a lot with Hollywood stars and its obvious that whatever is agreed is not getting to the actors themselves or not through enough beforehand. I wouldn't be surprised if their agents are doing the agreeing and then not informing the actors.