Hobbies for older people

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
Forum Member
Hiya

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for hobbies for my dad please. My mum was his life and since she passed away 2 years ago he's been lost. When the weather is fine he loves to go for walks, pick fruit etc but now the weather is all messed up he's stuck in the house with nothing to do and it's really getting him down.

He's in his 70's and waiting for an hearing aid and also for a minor op to help his sight but apart from that his health isn't too bad at all for his age.

He's isn't a big reader, he's only just picked up a book I got him for Christmas 2006! He likes wildlife and has a fair few DVDs on the subject and I keep him stocked up with film's & Cd's and I'm going to get him a jigsaw tomorrow but after that I'm stuck. I've thought about getting him to volunteer somewhere but that isn't my dad's thing and I love him to bit's but he's not the easiest person to get on with :o

If anyone has any ideas on what I can get him interested in I would be very grateful.

Many many thanks in advance
Lynda xxx

Comments

• maybemaybe Posts: 4,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A companion dog might be a good idea if he likes pets. Rescue centres often have mature dogs which used to belong to older people and are well trained and suitable. A dog would be useful if your dad has hearing problems, too.

What about a gadget like DS Lite? A lot of older people enjoy the puzzle games/brain training type stuff. I know it's not a hobby as such but it would pass the time while the weather's bad.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about talking books? It is possible to borrow CDs from my local library and my parents both enjoy listening on personal CD players. Has he got a computer? My Mum has recently got her first computer at 75 and she is loving it. I showed her how to get on to google and she is well away. I have even enrolled her for an evening class for beginners.
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 4,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hiya

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for hobbies for my dad please. My mum was his life and since she passed away 2 years ago he's been lost. When the weather is fine he loves to go for walks, pick fruit etc but now the weather is all messed up he's stuck in the house with nothing to do and it's really getting him down.

He's in his 70's and waiting for an hearing aid and also for a minor op to help his sight but apart from that his health isn't too bad at all for his age.

He's isn't a big reader, he's only just picked up a book I got him for Christmas 2006! He likes wildlife and has a fair few DVDs on the subject and I keep him stocked up with film's & Cd's and I'm going to get him a jigsaw tomorrow but after that I'm stuck. I've thought about getting him to volunteer somewhere but that isn't my dad's thing and I love him to bit's but he's not the easiest person to get on with :o

If anyone has any ideas on what I can get him interested in I would be very grateful.

Many many thanks in advance
    Lynda xxx

Has he got a dog? If not, and he likes animals - I'd really recommend getting him a quiet, older dog - perhaps a rescue greyhound or something similar. Greyhounds actually need very little exercise, and are very loving companions. It will encourage him to go out every day to take the dog out and about, and it's amazing how quickly he will get to talk to other dog owners, and it can be quite a social contact.

If a dog is not suitable for him, how about suggesting that he helps out at a nearby animal rescue centre. He might not see it so much as voluntary work as such.

Or - how about contacting your local Woodland Trust or RSPB and see if there is some kind of work he could do for them on a casual basis.
  • Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    Has he got a PC? If not it might be an idea to get him to purchase one and a broadband connection to go with it.

This will open a whole world of new things to do, trace family history, buy things online, even post on DS!

Getting my father a PC was always one of my intentions. However, sadly, his sight failed almost completely so it wasn't a viable option, in the end.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think could be good for him to get out of the house. There may be a suitable group meeting nearby. There is one advertised where I am for retired gents and they have guest speakers each week on diverse topics.
    Age concern may give you some tips.
    Computer courses are often run for older people, perhaps your local library would be a good source of information.
    Definitely some focus during the week, something to get up and go out for in the winter months could do him more good than stopping in .
    Perhaps a daycentre even??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If he's interested in wildlife then how about feeding and watching birds in the garden. Get a bird table and a couple of hanging feeders and you're away. It's really interesting to see all the different species you can attract. A few online bird food suppliers give away free binoculars with your first order.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeanie wrote: »
    Has he got a dog? If not, and he likes animals - I'd really recommend getting him a quiet, older dog - perhaps a rescue greyhound or something similar. Greyhounds actually need very little exercise, and are very loving companions. It will encourage him to go out every day to take the dog out and about, and it's amazing how quickly he will get to talk to other dog owners, and it can be quite a social contact.

If a dog is not suitable for him, how about suggesting that he helps out at a nearby animal rescue centre. He might not see it so much as voluntary work as such.

Or - how about contacting your local Woodland Trust or RSPB and see if there is some kind of work he could do for them on a casual basis.

I am an older Gentleman and we have a rescue Greyhound. He is inly 4 but will walk as far or as little as you want. Wonderful laid back companions for us older folk.

I can also vouch for RSPB cultivating interest in Birds,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    Thank you all so very much for your replies, they really are appreciated!

I thought he would have had a dog before now and I've mentioned one to him several times but he wont have one as he says he will feel tied to the house and dog :confused: The DS Lite is a good idea, I think I'll get him on my Playstation 1st though and see how he does with that, if he's OK it will be a DS for Fathers Day! :D

I've offered him me old PC and he just isn't interested :( Talking books could be good though once he gets his hearing aid! :)

Unfortunately we don't have an animal rescue center close by but I'm going to look in to the woodland trust / RSPB thing, thanks.

I'm going to contact Age Concern and the local library and see if we have any activities locally he would be interested in, thank you.

I got him bird feeders etc for Christmas but I suppose he will be needing some more now, garden center here I come!

I'd love him to get a dog, I think it would do him the world of good but he says no :( Rescue dogs are great, I hope you and yours are very happy on your walks together!

Sorry about your dads sight galaxy, I hope he's doing OK.

Again many thanks to you all for your time and replies, it really is appreciated
    Lynda xxx
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 393
    Forum Member
    Before getting very seriously ill, my father (then around 80s) was thinking of going back to what in the Uk is the Open University (in Italy it's called University of the Three Ages - kids, adults, mature adults), and do what he wanted to do originally: medicine. Obviously he didn't mean to become a doctor, but it was his original interest and wanted to take it back-
    How about some gym or swim? There are specific classes for mature adults with mild movements but it can also be nice to meet people and be out of home.
    Forum Member
    Sirio63 wrote: »
    Before getting very seriously ill, my father (then around 80s) was thinking of going back to what in the Uk is the Open University (in Italy it's called University of the Three Ages - kids, adults, mature adults), and do what he wanted to do originally: medicine. Obviously he didn't mean to become a doctor, but it was his original interest and wanted to take it back-
    How about some gym or swim? There are specific classes for mature adults with mild movements but it can also be nice to meet people and be out of home.

Thanks! I'll give the local pool a ring, it's been ages since he went swimming

Thank you x
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    I am older myself and sometimes have to get out of the house even when the weather is not too good. The bus pass and a bus ride gives me a real break and you get to know people pretty quickly. I try to use the bus out of peak periods so I am not a nuisance as we are not always welcome.
    Also he could think of taking up painting, pictures not the decorating bit, I have done this for years and it can be a lone interest at home or one can join an art club.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 379
    Forum Member
    maybe he could be a volunteer to walk other peoples dogs, who cant walk them, i know there is a charity near me that does that sort of thing
  • warmleatherettewarmleatherette Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fishing... old people love fishing.. I should know I see them all the time when I'm fishing.
  • ikkleosuikkleosu Posts: 11,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there a bowling club (crown green or carpet) or similar near by he could join? It's gentle exercise, and will give him a bunch of chums to chat to every week.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 418
    Forum Member
    Just want to say - even though I have nothing of value to add:

I think it is wonderful that you care so much about your Father.

And -

All the lovely lovely replies actually brought a lump to my throat.

(One thought though is that your Local Authority may know of a befriending scheme or similar; I am just about to apply for a job with the Methodist Housing Association - a scheme to help older people stay in their own homes. There is a website, try googling it....)

And I really hope he gets a greyhound - or dog even. He will be repaid a million times over.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to bombard you with ideas Lynda, as you may already have some ideas now. Just in case, our local college offers lots of creative courses for the maturer student. Things like beginners drawing or watercolour painting, glass painting, or pottery - the youngest on our course is 20 the oldest is 80. Never too late to learn something new. :) Good luck.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tinkersmum wrote: »
    Just want to say - even though I have nothing of value to add:

I think it is wonderful that you care so much about your Father.

And -

All the lovely lovely replies actually brought a lump to my throat.

(One thought though is that your Local Authority may know of a befriending scheme or similar; I am just about to apply for a job with the Methodist Housing Association - a scheme to help older people stay in their own homes. There is a website, try googling it....)

And I really hope he gets a greyhound - or dog even. He will be repaid a million times over.

I will second that. Greyhounds make the most wonderful companions for us older folk. We have owned them for 12 years.
    Forum Member
    Thanks once again for all you replies, your all stars!!!

Dad does like to travel around Aluk, he goes 'on the buses' a couple of times a week to towns maybe 15 or so miles away and will just come back with a loaf but he enjoys the ride out as you do, when the free country wide bus passes come in in the next few weeks who knows where it will take you both, maybe you will be travel buddies and not even know! Happy travels and you would never be a nuisance on my bus! :)

Fab idea Jova! There is a couple who live close by who he is friends with and they both work full time, he could walk their dog while they work, thanks!!! :D

He loves fishing warmleatherette but he found out yesterday that the friend who takes him about once a month (dad doesn't drive) can't go for the foreseeable as his wife is ill :(

There is a bowling club in our village ikkleosu, why didn't I think of that, thank you! :D

Thanks for the info LindyLupin. The things you mention are right up my street but unfortunately not my dads, when I have him sorted out I think I should try some of your suggestions though, thank you! :)

I mentioned the dog idea to him again at the weekend Vale07 and he says its not fair getting one at his age & it would tie him to the house, I've told him he can't think that way but he won't budge, I think its a great idea though thank you :)

Thank you tinkersmum, yes I love him to bits, as i still do my mum who I miss so very much, even though he drives me potty at times lol. I really am touched by everyone who took the time to read my post and reply, its lovely knowing people care about other people when all we seem to hear day in day out is how nasty the world can be. Thank you all so very much.

Good luck with the job tinkersmum! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! I'm on my way to google now! ;)

With love & thanks
    Lynda xxx