Downloadable Windows XP CD.

My 5 year old Dell laptop hard-drive has been suffering recently and looks like it could meet its final resting place soon. Before obtaining a replacement drive I need to create a recovery disk (which I should have done ages back) and therefore require a Windows XP install CD. Would anyone know if it is possible to download this from a safe source? Perhaps I should contact Dell for this – reckon it is something they should provide?

Thanks for any advice.

CB

Comments

• gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    Before your HDD finally drive check your PC software as there might be a programme on there that you use to create your own recovery DVD. Failing that the support section of the Dell web site might let order one from there.
  • cosmic buttplugcosmic buttplug Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks very much, GDS. I will try Mr Dell. Cheers. ;)
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Yes it might have a recovery partition ... right click my computer, manage and disk management. If it is there you should be able to burn a restore disk in some option somewhere ???
    Sorry can't be more exact.

Edit: if you can get hold of a copy of XP, the same version as you have ie home or pro and probably OEM then you can use that to install onto a new hard drive so long as you have the COA sticker with the code when you install it.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    Edit: if you can get hold of a copy of XP, the same version as you have ie home or pro and probably OEM then you can use that to install onto a new hard drive so long as you have the COA sticker with the code when you install it.
    If OP can source a Dell disk it wont even ask for a key since it checks against the BIOS instead. Handy since those COA stickers have a habbit of becoming damaged/unreadable. Would still need to be for the correct OS version though.
  • 100andthirty100andthirty Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    You may want to go through the clean insall route, but for the cost of a usb hdd enclosure, you could clone the new drive from the old one provided the old one is still working. You need to do a back up anyway. Assuming you buy a Western Digital or Seagate HDD, you can obtain the cloning software - it's a version of Acronis TrueImage - from the HDD supplier's site.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks, again for all the comments.

Just to give a little insight here I obtained the laptop with XP (at some premium) as I wanted to avoid the delights of Vista the prevailing OS at the time. Negligently, I failed to check that the restart cd that came with the package is actually for Vista so is totally useless. Hence the need for the XP installation CD. :mad:

The machine is an XPS M1730 with two 250gb HDDs. For some reason one is made by Fujitsu, the other by Western Digital. It is the latter that has failed, though can be reset to ‘normal’ via the Intel® Matrix Storage Console.

gds: Unable to locate anything that looks like it could be used for recovery.

LION8TIGER: No such luck as a recovery partition, sadly. All a right-click on My Computer does is show is Computer Management (Local) containing System Tools, Storage and Services and Applications. Yes, I realise that I will require the exact same. OS, though I do have the original 20 digit registration code, so this should not be a problem.

S2k: Point noted, thanks.

100andthirty: You’re quite right, I really should have purchased an HDD ages back, so it is my own inaction that has played a big part in this problem. However, as a serial optimist (OK, naive to$$er) I thought I had the kernel of a cunning plan. By setting up another HDD (also from a Dell laptop) housed in a caddy, formatted and connected via the USB I believe that I can create an image from the defective HDD. Once I have achieved this I can then replace the two HDDs in the laptop with the newly cloned HDD, change the boot source and hey presto. The problem here is that I cannot complete the image copy as it fails right at the end of the process – I am using Macrium Reflect (the free downloadable version) for this task. It might be because the drive is simply in too poorer state to withstand being copied from so I may have to abandon the task altogether.

Also I might misunderstand the difference between an ‘image’ and a ‘clone’. Feel free to put me right on this issue or any other outstanding nuggets of ignorance featured above. ;)
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member
    You may want to go through the clean insall route, but for the cost of a usb hdd enclosure, you could clone the new drive from the old one provided the old one is still working. You need to do a back up anyway. Assuming you buy a Western Digital or Seagate HDD, you can obtain the cloning software - it's a version of Acronis TrueImage - from the HDD supplier's site.

@ cosmic - The above is called Seagate Disk Wizard http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/discwizard/ and it's free but will work only on a system containing a Seagate or Maxtor HDD. I *think* that includes an external drive.

It's a useful piece of software with lots of options including disk cloning but you do need that Seagate or Maxtor HDD on your system. If you get one of these drives, you can then optionally upgrade to the full Acronis software at a discount.
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    LION8TIGER: No such luck as a recovery partition, sadly. All a right-click on My Computer does is show is Computer Management (Local) containing System Tools, Storage and Services and Applications. Yes, I realise that I will require the exact same. OS, though I do have the original 20 digit registration code, so this should not be a problem.
    Expand storage.

Edit: http://www.ehow.com/how_6594265_make-bootable-disk-recovery-partition.html might help.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D’@ve: This looks interesting. I will contact Seagate to see if this deal is valid for external drives.

Re the previous comment,"the cost of a usb hdd enclosure, you could clone the new drive from the old one provided the old one is still working" it is the BIB bit that is still the problem.

LION8TIGER: Interesting link but I have no such recovery partition nor is there a “Dell Data Safe” folder. Maybe Dell were not compelled to the provide 'full package' with xp machines in 2008? It's a bugger, though.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    To be honest your simplest option would be to give Dell a call with the service tag and ask if they can ship you a Windows XP CD. They certainly do provide these on request. Last time I dealt with them it was free but dunno if they may have a small charge for P+P normally. Doesn't hurt to ask anyway.
  • Knarf44Knarf44 Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless I've misunderstood, isn't this what the OP was looking for?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=25129
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Knarf44 wrote: »
    Unless I've misunderstood, isn't this what the OP was looking for?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=25129

That's the Service Pack for Windows Xp - basically all the updates. Th op wants the actual Windows Xp install DVD
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Take a look a torrent sites..**cough** cough - some basic search tags will find you a good copy easy
  • DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    Take a look a torrent sites..**cough** cough - some basic search tags will find you a good copy easy
    That's very unwise. There's a likelyhood of some Windows XP CD images found on torrents and other file sharing sources
    being fake and / or packaged with malware / viruses. I have a couple of genuine Windows XP CD images on our server.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Note on failed Images (whatever 3rd party app you use):-

I find they are often caused by bad sectors.
    If you can run chkdsk on all source and destination partitions beforehand, it may work if you try again.

Alternatively, try the sector-by-sector option imaging / cloning which may work (bad sectors and all).
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    DJGM wrote: »
    That's very unwise. There's a likelyhood of some Windows XP CD images found on torrents and other file sharing sources
    being fake and / or packaged with malware / viruses. I have a couple of genuine Windows XP CD images on our server.

I often think that people think the torrent community are retarded. And they are really not. They are quite capable of regulating themselves and rating their downloads. it is very possible to download the untouched iso's.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    S2k: Contacted Dell and got some apocryphal bollux about how they are awaiting deliveries of Vista and XP discs but currently they have none. [Yeah, right].:mad: Also called MS but they were not much more use. Anyway it looks as if a pal of mine can supply a suitable disc so this problem should be sorted.

Maxatoria:
    Not wishing to sound like a snivelling wimp missing a backbone, but I tend to leave the torrent world to those who know what they are doing. Seems a bit of a dark art from my viewpoint so reckon I’m best leaving this particular avenue closed. :o Thanks, though.

RobinOfLoxley:
    Yes, I think you’re correct, there. I intend to keep running CHKDSK with the hope that bit by bit it might just rectify the dodgy disc. If this is not possible then I will have to consider an alternative solution. I do not think the sector-by-sector option exists in the Macrium facility which was after all a free download. I suppose that this would be available in Acronis?

All comments much appreciated. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP ... if you need the XP ISO links from our server, let me know via PM, and in case your pal's disc isn't suitable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DJGM wrote: »
    OP ... if you need the XP ISO links from our server, let me know via PM, and in case your pal's disc isn't suitable.

That's really generous of you, DJGM. I may well take you up on that if matey doesn't get there first. :)
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A single run of chkdsk works for me when imaging fails. Dunno if repeated use of any benefit.

Sector-by-sector is available in Macrium Free.
    (See Advanced Options/Compression before you hit Finish to start a backup. They refer to it as copying unused sctors)
  • Albert_ChandlerAlbert_Chandler Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    there are a number of xp disks on ebay this is just one..
    any dell xp disk will allow to to rebuild the system, no key is required

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-Windows-XP-PRO-SP2-Reinstallation-cd-Drivers-Utilities-Resource-CD-/261213265448?pt=UK_Computing_Software_Software_SR&hash=item3cd1861e28

you will need the link from alan1302 to install sp3 unless you find a cd with xp and sp3,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there are a number of xp disks on ebay this is just one..
    any dell xp disk will allow to to rebuild the system,
    no key is required

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-Windows-XP-PRO-SP2-Reinstallation-cd-Drivers-Utilities-Resource-CD-/261213265448?pt=UK_Computing_Software_Software_SR&hash=item3cd1861e28

you will need the link from alan1302 to install sp3 unless you find a cd with xp and sp3,
    Although that's for Windows XP Professional ... but does the OP require XP Pro or the Home Edition?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After my not inconsiderable efforts to get this bloody disk restored and despite all of the well-intentioned advice on here I have decided to pursue a rather different path. Plan B is to simply purchase a new SSD, bung it in place of the two HDDs and install a newer OS out of the box. Given that since XP has less than a year to continue spending a lot more time trying to rectify the buggered drive hardly seems worthwhile.

What was proving to be the main obstacle here, is that the two HDDs have a RAID 0 (striped) configuration to allow for a faster data transfer. Without being being able to ‘correct’ the failing HDD (CHKDSK has not managed this yet despite several runs) I will not be able to create any sort of rescue disc. So it is probably best to bite-the bullet now.

Thanks for all for the advice so far and for DJGM’s kind offer. I’ll keep you posted on the progress. ;)
  • Albert_ChandlerAlbert_Chandler Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    according to the dell site the xps 1730 ships with xp pro not home.

the xps can also run raid just something else to be aware of.

one more thing does the OP use the Media Direct?

The Dell Factory Image Restore tool be may installed access it from the <F8> boot menu.

which ever option the OP uses he will also need a driver disk or another computer in order to down load the drivers.

the correct order is below.

•Dell™ Notebook System Software
    •Intel® Mobile Chipset Driver
    •NVIDIA® GeForce® 8700M GT
    •Ageia PhysX Processor
    •Ricoh® Media Card Controller
    •Fingerprint reader driver
    •Broadcom® NetXtreme™ 5756M Gigabit Integrated Network Controller
    •Wireless driver (if applicable)
    •Camera driver (if applicable)
    •IDT® STAC 9205 Audio Driver
    •MDC driver (if applicable)
    •Dell Touch Pad Driver
    •Bluetooth® driver and stack
  • chandlerpchandlerp Posts: 4,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would recommend Driver Magician to collect all the drivers from the original PC. It is free to use unless you want to automatically reinstall the drivers when you've rebuilt.