Radio eits butchering songs..

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 844
Forum Member
✭✭
What's the point in playing a song if you're going to make it sound like you have scratches on your cds?

For example "whips and chains" is censored on S&M but would it be censored if someone said it on daytime tv? No.

Onika is blocked on "Starships" for literally no reason at all. "my name is onika, you can call me nicki" it's hardly rocket science.

They edit the instrumental breaks and bridges down on various songs to within an inch of their life.

What on earth is the actual point of this garbage? I can't even sing along.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I don't care for 'Starships' but what on earth is there to delete??

Have you ever heard Heart FM butcher songs like 'Where Is the Love?' and 'Dilemma'? They delete half the song so most of the rap is gone. Absolute joke.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio edits are very annoying imo especially censoring her own name out the song, another example is Taio Cruz - Dirty Picture which censored the word dirty which is ridiculous.
  • Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The same with 212 ;) though in saying that, they've butchered it so much, the edited version must last around 25 seconds :p
  • scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio 1 have cut out the first breakdown in Where Have You Been by Rihanna, it's so annoying. That's the BEST PART OF THE SONG!
  • ScrubberScrubber Posts: 4,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Onika is blocked on "Starships" for literally no reason at all. "my name is onika, you can call me nicki" it's hardly rocket science.

Now i MAY be wrong, but i'm sure i saw the lyrics to the un-cut version of this somewhere and it says "My name isn't ni**a, you can call me Nicki"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Now i'm not one to complain about things and i absolutely hate censors. But "f*** who you want, f*** who you like" seems a bit inappropriate for radio.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I can't stand censored versions of songs. Even if it's a song I like I always turn it off and go on Youtube to listen to the uncut version. Censored songs sound a bit "fake" to me.
  • elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The S&M radio edit was the first one that came to mind when I read the thread title. It was particularly awful.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,916
    Forum Member

Have you ever heard Heart FM butcher songs like 'Where Is the Love?' and 'Dilemma'? They delete half the song so most of the rap is gone. Absolute joke.

I think the worst edit I've heard on HeartFM is I Gotta Feeling by Black Eyed Peas. It's awful!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scrubber wrote: »
    Now i MAY be wrong, but i'm sure i saw the lyrics to the un-cut version of this somewhere and it says "My name isn't ni**a, you can call me Nicki"

It's Onika, which is her name, not a racial slur. You can clearly hear her saying it when you've heard it as many times as I have.

Personally, I wouldn't want them playing my music if they do that. It's like tearing up a painting before putting it on display.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whoever made the edits to "Starships" then must've thought she was saying the N word then. Silly. I always heard it as Onika and, judging by the lyrics posted online, so do most people.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's Onika, which is her name, not a racial slur. You can clearly hear her saying it when you've heard it as many times as I have.

Personally, I wouldn't want them playing my music if they do that. It's like tearing up a painting before putting it on display.

Fair enough. Maybe the tv/radio stations think that it is what i thought. I'm sure the lyrics on a youtube video show those lyrics.

To be fair though some artists should put more thought into the songs they are releasing as singles, like Eminem and a lot of other rappers choose songs full of swearing then for us the listener it sounds awful with all the editing.

EDIT: Here's the video i must have seen. Top commenters have pointed it out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-8MagxjOrE
  • madzo2005madzo2005 Posts: 3,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On a station over here Cool FM they butcher Empire State of Mind, the end bridge where Alicia Keys sings is at the start and its just all over the place and cut to pieces.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 79,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Toy_Hero wrote: »
    The same with 212 ;) though in saying that, they've butchered it so much, the edited version must last around 25 seconds :p

Indeed!
  • rasborasbo Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate when they talk long before a song is due to finish. No need in this day and age.
  • Dex_BracewellDex_Bracewell Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    If you think the censored versions of songs are the worst, you should listen to Capital FM a bit more.

I listened to a radio edit of Snoop Dogg - Sweat and I pretty sure they misunderstood shuttin' as s**tin' and it was forgettable because I heard it in a split second. :eek:

But they do have advantages, my local station (Rock FM) cuts out every trace of Pitbull (yes!) out of their copies of Jennifer Lopez songs! :D
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    right i know the answer to the editing of songs on radio stations like gem/captial etc

Swearing is a no go, just simples

The reason why some rap's in songs are cut is because the radio stations dont believe there audience wants to hear snoop dog rapping with katy perry due to there target age range for that station.

Its BS as that what makes the song, i'm sure if people like the song they will download it with snoop dogg in the song so censoring it on local radio smacks of BS
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scrubber wrote: »
    Fair enough. Maybe the tv/radio stations think that it is what i thought. I'm sure the lyrics on a youtube video show those lyrics.

To be fair though some artists should put more thought into the songs they are releasing as singles, like Eminem and a lot of other rappers choose songs full of swearing then for us the listener it sounds awful with all the editing.

EDIT: Here's the video i must have seen. Top commenters have pointed it out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-8MagxjOrE

If I were a radio producer I'd ant that edited also, the Onica thing sounds offensive and that's enough :(

Britney's If You Seek Amy on the other hand made it o to the radio all the time with no edits ;):D
  • Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    silentNate wrote: »
    Britney's If You Seek Amy on the other hand made it o to the radio all the time with no edits ;):D

George Michael's Fastlove gets played with no edits as well. There is a line near the beginning of the song which goes: "All that Bullsh!t conversation" which never gets edited out. Although it does sound like they have taken the emphasis off the letter T at the end so it sounds like he is singing Bullshe rather than the original word.
  • spotify95spotify95 Posts: 7,894
    Forum Member
    mimicole wrote: »
    I think the worst edit I've heard on HeartFM is I Gotta Feeling by Black Eyed Peas. It's awful!

Yeah, that truly is butchered to pieces - they totally take out the first verse, and make the rest sound like it's been butchered to hell! They even stick a bit on the end for good luck - again, butchered.
    However, it's only SOME presenters that do this though. The breakfast and drivetime presenters must have access to the original copy, since they play the unedited (i.e. original) version - but all the networked presenters seem to play the butchered version? :confused:
    Forum Member
    The S&M radio edit was the first one that came to mind when I read the thread title. It was particularly awful.

Yes that was very bad but notice only R1 done that! When I heard Capital play it there was NO editing!
    Forum Member
    rasbo wrote: »
    I hate when they talk long before a song is due to finish. No need in this day and age.

I hate it more when people place seg markers/NTP (next to play) markers on a song, in the wrong place. There are so many examples of this (when the songs are being cut way too short):
    Starship - We Built This City and Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now
    Daft Punk - Get Lucky

The above examples have been butchered - by Heart FM!
    http://www.mixcloud.com/spotify95/heart-bad-segue-on-starship-nothings-gonna-stop-us-now/
    http://www.mixcloud.com/spotify95/heart-ridiculously-early-segue-on-daft-punk-get-lucky/
    http://www.mixcloud.com/spotify95/heart-fm-end-marker-on-starship-breakfast/

The links say it all.
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    I HATE the Capital version/radio edit of Can't Hold Us. I mean do they even realise how the rap sounds edited? It sounds horrible.
    Forum Member
    Radio 2 just butchered Carly Rae Jepsen - Call Me Maybe. They talked all over the end of the final minute of the song. They should be ashamed of themselves... I urge people to boycott R2!!! :mad:
  • LMLM Posts: 63,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Britney - If you seek amy was butchered

It cut out the

Love me hate me
    Say what you want about me
    All the boys and all the girl are begging to If you seek amy

So apart from the verses, the song just goes
    "love me, hate me"
    say what you want about me
    and then that repeats about three times