The Tennis Thread (Part 21)

Comments

• smudesmude Posts: 17,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    looks like JW is putting up a good fight, shame he lost the tiebreak

hope this match stays close or at least JW wins in 4 :)

Yay JW takes the second set.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love Overend quote," Federer brings out the best in Tsonga, perhaps he should be his coach"!
    Tsonga playing well but I would never write Fed off until the last ball is played.
  • tennismantennisman Posts: 4,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find the arguments that a player lost but.....they were injured, quite frustrating.

Whereas they may well have had a problem, it completely takes away the moment for the winning opponent.

It implies that actually we can't evaluate the match properly as this can only be done when both players are in the ideal fitness state that exists somewhere.

She lost that match but somehow, it doesn't quite count because she was injured.

Injuries of all types are an ongoing part of being a professional.

Just about EVERY pro AT ALL TIMES has some sort of niggle or worse.

A mate of mine did a charity event with Jaco Eltingh just after he retired from the tour and when asked what it was like no longer being a pro, Eltingh replied, 'It's just great to get up each day without something hurting'.

The great Roy Emerson used to say if you walk onto the court for a match, then you are fit.

Of course, stuff happens in a match and I'm not suggesting for one second that Williams or any other player is feigning injury but it is part of the process; something to be dealt with.

If a player wins a match, then he / she won it; they didn't go through to the next round because their opponent was injured.

I know that the demands of the digital age 24 hour media require players to give answers to endless questions and when an injury clearly affects a player in a match, it's an obvious topic to ask about but I like it when the injured player, as most of them do, will not use the injury as a factor to justify their defeat.

PS To me, the relative quite about Andy Murray through this tournament is a testament to his outstanding level of performance. I just hope all the people who went on about him when he had ups and downs in previous Slams, as if this was part of his performance DNA or even British player DNA, are taking a moment to enjoy his top class tennis (thus far, of course).
  • kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fed takes the 3rd set 7-6 (7-4). Still can't call this one though
  • Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,573
    Forum Member
    with respect TM I have to disagree, much as it pains me to do so

There's a world of difference between beating a player because you're better than them and beating a player because they've hurt hurt their back/pulled a hamstring/injured an ankle.

Andy has beaten Rafa twice in GS, but there's a vast (IMO) difference between his USO win in 08 and his AO win in '10. Of course the records just list the result as a win, but it is different if you're playing an injured opponent.

Amelie's AO win against Justine is (perhaps unfairly) tainted due to the latter's retirement, compared to Amelie's win in Wimby final of the same year
    Forum Member
    kutox wrote: »
    Fed takes the 3rd set 7-6 (7-4). Still can't call this one though

hmm if he gets off to a good start in this set, this could be over soonish
  • andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
    Forum Member
    tennisman wrote: »
    PS I just hope all the people who went on about him when he had ups and downs in previous Slams, as if this was part of his performance DNA or even British player DNA, are taking a moment to enjoy his top class tennis (thus far, of course).

With due respect tennisman, but no, thanks. Also let's just say that he had a very easy ride so far in that all his opponents are mainly lightweights.
  • BigBmadBigBmad Posts: 18,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lets not go over the top here Sloane really battled Serena even before the injury. Would she have won without the injury thats for you to argue.

But Sloane had broken Serena before the injury and was 4-3 30-0 up in the set. Sloane played some good tennis
  • kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Could be, but all it takes with Tsonga is a few good games to turn things around, just like Wimby 2011 - I'm sure both players will be thinking about that too! I'm just never sure these days whether Fed will be able to close out a match like this or not
    Forum Member
    kutox wrote: »
    Could be, but all it takes with Tsonga is a few good games to turn things around, just like Wimby 2011 - I'm sure both players will be thinking about that too! I'm just never sure these days whether Fed will be able to close out a match or not

I'm still hoping for Tsonga win, he's the only player who makes me smile win he plays on his game.

He also seems like a nice guy
    Forum Member
    come on Jo
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :eek: Keep the faith, Mike. That little break will boost his confidence. Love watching Tsonga. :) Even if I've had 90 mnutes sleep in the last 24 hours. :p

Not often I disagree with you tennisman, but watching it, it was obvious she was in pretty bad pain and was very subdued.

I'm really glad Sloane won, but not because I was being very anti-Serena and really wanted her to lose, but because I didn't enjoy watching someone with so much pain carry on. Sloane thoroughly deserves to get the W, but against a fully fit Serena the score might have been slightly different.
    Soane played damn good tennis at times, but I still think a fully fit Serena would now have a semi- final place.

That doesn't negate her win, but it does provide a background to the win and cant be compared to something like the match on at the moment when both are blazing at full guns.
  • footygirlfootygirl Posts: 35,200
    Forum Member
    Come on Jo

Even if you don't win - keep Fedbot out there as long as possible and tire him out. Makes it easier for Muzza
  • CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    Tsonga!!! Breaks and then hands the break back straight away :( must be the most frustrating player out there
    Forum Member
    Sloane was not winning against a fit Serena. No way

Aza's to lose imho
    Forum Member
    Don't count Na Li out - she is playing very well, and her game is suited to the hardcourts
    Forum Member
    And breaks again! Go on Jo! Now PLEASE HOLD SERVE
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    Sloane was not winning against a fit Serena. No way

Aza's to lose imho

She was leading in the second set before Serena got injured though. Fair enough saying that but if you watched it Serena wasn't injured as bad in the final set she was hitting powerful shots, not 100% but no one will know
    Forum Member
    footygirl wrote: »
    Don't count Na Li out - she is playing very well, and her game is suited to the hardcourts

Very erratic. May beat Maria but not both Maria and aza if you get me
  • TissyTissy Posts: 45,748
    Forum Member
    Hopefully 2 sets each after this game :)
    Forum Member
    Fed blew that point. Now come on Jo. HOLD
    Forum Member
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    Very erratic. May beat Maria but not both Maria and aza if you get me

But Azarenka wasn't impressive against Jamie-Leigh Hampton - only just squeezed through
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D:D Oh yes! Just what a lot of us ( ;) very neutral) fans wanted. And into a 5th we go.

Go Tsonga!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And we are through to a 5th set. Come on Tsonga
    Forum Member
    GET IN!! Wimby 10 lost quarter to Berdych last major lost quarter to Berdych. Wimby 11 lost quarter to Tsonga...
This discussion has been closed.