Pace sky box stuck in update mode

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
Forum Member
My 5 year old Pace Sky Digibox was behaving perfectly, until it powered itself down and came back on in System Software Update mode, where it remained until I attempted a reset. Powering up whilst holding backup gives the same result - a SCART output message for System Software Update and all panel lights on. I've tried with card in and card out.

Is this the end for the trusty Pace?

Comments

• HeinzHeinz Posts: 7,210
    Forum Member
    Welcome to the DS forums stevemca.

Just a minor point - you are aware that the message you see on screen remains there for about 10 minutes, aren't you?

What should happen is that you do nothing while that message is on screen and, when it goes, wait a minute or two and then take the box out of standby using the Sky button on the remote.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the welcome Heinz.

The problem is that the message doesn't go away. It will stay on screen for hours and hours . . . . . . . and the 4 lights on the front of the sky box stay on too. When I finally pull the plug, and then power on again, the same process starts again.
  • rai unorai uno Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the front panel Backup button "stuck" in some way? (Children with Jam Butties - that sort of thing).

Sounds a bit far fetched, I know - but worth a look I'd have thought?

If it isn't that, I've never heard of a Digibox going into Forced Download mode as the result of an electronics or software glitch/failure.
    Forum Member
    Thanks rai uno, but the backup button isn't stuck. All of the buttons are ok as far as I can tell, as are all the connections at the back.

It does seem to be a rare phenomenon.

Perhaps Sky+ is calling . . . . .
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have seen the problem on a Pace Twin Freeview PVR when that got in a software loop through corrupted software but never on a Sky dodgibox.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have seen the problem on a Pace Twin Freeview PVR when that got in a software loop through corrupted software but never on a Sky dodgibox.

I have, twice. Both times it was a Pace 2200 that had a failed (poor signal) upgrade overnight and became a doorstop. Realistically (i.e. without spending more than the box is worth) there's nothing you can do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it may be cochineal. Or to use the technical term: bug
    red.
  • Captain PugwashCaptain Pugwash Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    stevemca wrote:
    My 5 year old Pace Sky Digibox was behaving perfectly, until it powered itself down and came back on in System Software Update mode, where it remained until I attempted a reset. Powering up whilst holding backup gives the same result - a SCART output message for System Software Update and all panel lights on. I've tried with card in and card out.

Is this the end for the trusty Pace?
    I had exactly the same problem, all four lights stayed on, with the update stuck eventually turning the screen bright green, I phoned Sky call centre on0800 0512 595, explained what was happening, the lady said that there was thousands of a certain brand of box (mine's Pace), that are stuck in an update loop, I was informed that as it was Sky's problem they would send an engineer straight away to replace the box and there would be no charge, I've now got a Panasonic box which is a lot faster.

Jeff.
    Forum Member
    I had exactly the same problem, all four lights stayed on, with the update stuck eventually turning the screen bright green, I phoned Sky call centre on0800 0512 595, explained what was happening, the lady said that there was thousands of a certain brand of box (mine's Pace), that are stuck in an update loop, I was informed that as it was Sky's problem they would send an engineer straight away to replace the box and there would be no charge, I've now got a Panasonic box which is a lot faster.

Thanks Captain Pugwash. I phoned them up (incidentally I'm still waiting for Sky's technical team to respond to my original email requesting assistance) and was told that it would cost £65 for an engineer to call. I quoted your experience and after a very brief "Oh, let me just check" moment, the cost was miraculously waived.

So, thanks again Cap'n, with a bit of luck I'll have a new box installed in a couple of days.
  • Captain PugwashCaptain Pugwash Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    stevemca wrote:
    Thanks Captain Pugwash. I phoned them up (incidentally I'm still waiting for Sky's technical team to respond to my original email requesting assistance) and was told that it would cost £65 for an engineer to call. I quoted your experience and after a very brief "Oh, let me just check" moment, the cost was miraculously waived.

So, thanks again Cap'n, with a bit of luck I'll have a new box installed in a couple of days.

Well done glad I could be of help.

Jeff.