Robocop Remake (merged)

NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
Forum Member
The Robocop remake that's been in development for years is finally getting ready to go in front of the cameras, and at last, a firm offer has been made to an actor who might play him. Deadline reports that Joel Kinnaman, of The Killing and a small but memorable role in Safe House, has been offered the part in the film, which will be directed by Elite Squad's Jose Padilha from a recent script rewrite from Nick Schenk.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Joel-Kinnaman-Robocop-29628.html

From what I have seen the guy is a very good actor. Not been confirmed yet, but it certainly sounds better than the Russell Crowe rumours.

Any thoughts on the potential casting?

Comments

• stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robocop was a product of it's time, they might manage to make a cool movie FX wise but the atmosphere the original had, hmm.:confused:

Hopefully not Christian Bale, don't want him shouting his way through this.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    For most of the movie the guy would be in a metal suit with a robot voice so would it matter too much who it was?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nooooooooooooooooooooooo!
  • Dunce-2007Dunce-2007 Posts: 6,452
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    For most of the movie the guy would be in a metal suit with a robot voice so would it matter too much who it was?

The actors jawline is important but then again we'll have to see how they redesign Robo's helmet.

Weller vs TV series actor
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-PsqlstgT4Rg/TiMHSknhXYI/AAAAAAAABpo/MjyrysXtFfk/s1600/gal_recast_alex-murphy_robocop.jpg

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h338/covtransmdes/robovsrobotv.jpg
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is one case where there's not a hope in hell of them coming close to even touching the original! Just so many classic, quotable lines...

'Dead or alive, you're coming with me!'
    'I know you...you're dead! We killed you! We killed you!'
    'I had to kill Bob Morton cause he made a mistake...now it's time to erase that mistake.'
    'Madame, you have suffered an emotional shock. I will notify a rape crisis center. '
    'Stay out of trouble.'
  • ScooterwolfScooterwolf Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noooooo leave it alone, Robocop is perfect as it is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is one case where there's not a hope in hell of them coming close to even touching the original! Just so many classic, quotable lines...

'I had to kill Bob Morton cause he made a mistake...now it's time to erase that mistake.'
    'Madame, you have suffered an emotional shock. I will notify a rape crisis center. '
    'Stay out of trouble.'

Can u fly Bobby?
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But they are not touching it. The original is still the original, and it cannot change.

They are making a new version. Does not affect the original in any way whatsoever, and any claims to the contrary are patently ludicrous.

Robocop is a very good film, a cult classic no less...but 25 years down the line I think enough time has passed for a new version, set in present day, new technology, different attitudes, changes in society etc.

I think the trick in these cases is not to compare it to the original, but try and think of it in a movie in it's own right...and it will either stand or fall depending on how well made it is.

And if the thought of a remake somehow 'offends' you (?!)...then don't watch it and you won't be 'offended'.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,293
    Forum Member

The original won't be touched. The remake will inevitably suck and be ignored like Robocop 3.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The original won't be touched. The remake will inevitably suck and be ignored like Robocop 3.

Not nescessarily, Robocop 3 was a sequel, a very poor one, and a desperate attempt to squeeze a few more quid out of the films.

A new version of the original 25 years later has the potential to be interesting, if they get the right story, director and actors.

In most cases, a lot of such remakes tend to be fair to middling, and some of them do indeed suck.

But I find comparisons to the original futile, if you are going to pay money to watch the remake and just sit there complaining about why it's not the same, Weller was a better Murphy, they have changed the story, changed this, changed that...what's the point? Waste of money...just stay away and stick with the original.

Of course it's going to be different, a retread of the original would be completely pointless. And personally I would watch it precisely because I would expect it to be different to a degree, and woud be interested to see what they come up with.
    Forum Member
    If I was producing the movie, rather than doing a "remake" I would simply pick up Robocop's story as being the same character as seen in the original film but living in modern day Detroit.

A line as simple as "Alex Murphy was a cop, killed in action, but remade as ROBOCOP" at the beginning of the film would suffice. Then get right into the storyline.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    If I was producing the movie, rather than doing a "remake" I would simply pick up Robocop's story as being the same character as seen in the original film but living in modern day Detroit.

A line as simple as "Alex Murphy was a cop, killed in action, but remade as ROBOCOP" at the beginning of the film would suffice. Then get right into the storyline.
    I doubt the execs would like that. They'd want people to know in more depth what happened to him.
    Forum Member
    As long as the film has lots of special effects, can be shown in 3D, and makes a fortune, I doubt they'd care about depth
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,108
    Forum Member

'Stay out of trouble.'

Come quietly or there will be... trouble. :D
    Forum Member
    Omni Consumer Products.

My second favourite fictional corporation.

The Clamp Organisation from "Gremlins 2" is #1

:D
  • NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    It's now been confirmed.

Good choice.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In what way do they think they're going to make it better?

What's the reason for this remake? Does anybody know?
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As long as the film has lots of special effects, can be shown in 3D, and makes a fortune, I doubt they'd care about depth

It's the satirical aspect to the film that is one of the most important elements to it.
    If they remove that and just replace it with flashier special effects and visuals, it's going to be subtracting what is good about the original, not adding anything worthwhile to it.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    I hope they shoot it in Detroit. It's not as if they'll have any difficulty finding abandoned industrial sites to use.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

- They won't.

- Money

Word. :cool:
    Forum Member
    It's the satirical aspect to the film that is one of the most important elements to it.
    If they remove that and just replace it with flashier special effects and visuals, it's going to be subtracting what is good about the original, not adding anything worthwhile to it.

I suspect that's exactly what they are going to do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Strange comments - who says, or why do you assume the point of a remake is to better the original?

Why? Well it usually is about money in truth, but then after 25 years it's not that unusual that someone may come up with an idea for a new take on the story,
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody, and I really do mean NOBODY will come anywhere close to the astounding performance Kurtwood Smith gave as Clarence Boddicker. One of the greatest villains in film history. This is yet another film in a list of 1000s that doesnt need remaking.
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,551
    Forum Member
    ...........And it still isn't dated yet either. First one was brilliant though quite sad as well.
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,551
    Forum Member
    revolver44 wrote: »
    Nobody, and I really do mean NOBODY will come anywhere close to the astounding performance Kurtwood Smith gave as Clarence Boddicker. One of the greatest villains in film history. This is yet another film in a list of 1000s that doesnt need remaking.

I didn't like the character but boy was he funny! Did you know that "Barbara" the secretery he thought he had a divine right to "be fitted in" with is his real life wife or was?