Alexander Armstrong's Big Ask - New series starting on Dave - 6th Feb.

degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
Forum Member
Dave broadcast a pilot of this last year
http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1480077

They must have liked it as it's got its own series
http://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/00000560/alexander_armstrongs_big_ask/
Story Update. 30th June. Dave TV did indeed order a full series. Channel boss Steve North said: "Commissioning a winning comedy format is hard to do straight off the bat, but this new series really hits the mark because it sits so comfortably alongside our big banker titles like QI while also reinforcing Dave as a home of new comedy content."

http://www.comedy.co.uk/guide/tv/alexander_armstrong_big_ask/
Episode 1 - Scheduled: Mon 6th February 2012 @ 9pm on Dave
Alexander Armstrong hosts a panel show in which panellists devise - and answer - the questions. Graham Norton, Sandi Toksvig and Marcus Brigstocke are the guests this week.

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    bump.
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi there. Thought I'd give this a try. Sounds a bit QI-ish which I love :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Questions based on categories, three panellists duelling it out to come up with the best question... it's like a mirror of Room 101, really! 'Cept with better guests. And a better host, actually, though I do like Frank Skinner.

...promising enough! Not sure about the bloke with the laptop. Nor writing on iPads - that's excruciatingly contemporary. But I'm liking it. Needs tweaking, but pleasant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rwebster wrote: »
    Questions based on categories, three panellists duelling it out to come up with the best question... it's like a mirror of Room 101, really! 'Cept with better guests. And a better host, actually, though I do like Frank Skinner.

...promising enough! Not sure about the bloke with the laptop. Nor writing on iPads - that's excruciatingly modern. But I'm liking it.

Dave Lamb is the voiceover for Come Dine With Me isn't he?
    He's funny on that, but it doesn't sound like him on this. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love that image - slide down a swan's neck' :D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    Dave Lamb is the voiceover for Come Dine With Me isn't he?
    He's funny on that, but it doesn't sound like him on this. :confused:
    Yes! You're right! Knew I recognised the name. I'll have to keep an ear out.

...What's happened to him, incidentally? He's not been on-screen in a while. Not entirely sure I "get" what he's up to. But the show's been gently funny, so far. Which is good!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rwebster wrote: »
    Yes! You're right! Knew I recognised the name. I'll have to keep an ear out.

...What's happened to him, incidentally? He's not been on-screen in a while. Not entirely sure I "get" what he's up to. But the show's been gently funny, so far. Which is good!

I think he's the fact checker. (Just sits there googling until he's needed).
  • LowriLowri Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not award winning but considering the current quality of tv, it's not a bad way to spend 40 minutes. I think it will be even better once it's had chance to settle into the format a bit.

I do think Dave Lamb wasn't needed at all. I think it's just necessary to have a person on a laptop in the background (cf pointless, springwatch unsprung, ask Rhod Gilbert)
    Actually, it's not so different from Gilbert's show although I prefer the more subdued style of AA's Big Ask
    Forum Member
    It is similar to Ask Rhod Gilbert. A little more comfortable with the format with the guest in arm chairs.
    Not as good as the NI show Great Unanswered Questions. In that show the guest and a regular expert sat in a sofa and a geek with a laptop as next to them in an arm chair.

Again, similar type of format.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    I'm quite enjoying this series :) I guessed Rufus' answer to the question this week about Kim Jong-il because the golfing boast (claiming to score 11 holes in 1 or something like that) was a fact that came up when he died.
    Forum Member
    Yes. I knew that also. It's been mentioned on another show before. Probably HIGNFY.
    Jimmy Carr was class. He has a quip for every topic and keeps shows like this running along.

I also knew the answer to Bridgstock's question about the Armagnac and Ortolan
    Forum Member
    I should of guessed Andi Osho's answer (about why Americans rewrote the Bible in the 1930's) because of prohibition.. :)
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    It's a good show. I did feel a bit sorry for Rufus Hound when he said Pulp Fiction rather than Kill Bill, um, I mean Reservoir Dogs was the film with the famous ear removal scene, and everyone started taking the piss out of him :D.
    Forum Member
    Series 2 starts tonight.

Tuesdays 10pm
    or on +1 if you're 15 minutes late ;)
  • Molly HuntMolly Hunt Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it -it was better than I hoped (dreaded?) it would be.

I'm getting a bit sick of Jo Brand tho' -she was on 3 separate programmes last night. Not that separate really -one after the other.

Mock the Week, QI and the Big Ask.:eek:
  • zackai48zackai48 Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The idea behind the show is not bad-but the unnecessary swearing put me off.
    Forum Member
    I thought it was good. It didn't miss having Dave Lamb on the show.

There were some good anecdotes and questions. It seemed more relaxed that last series in that regard.
    I even thought Jo Brand was funny in parts, although she did go back to her husband jokes.
  • Molly HuntMolly Hunt Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hadn't noticed that Dave Lamb wasn't on -that shows how much he contributed to it doesn't it?
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Dave broadcast a pilot of this last year
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1480077

They must have liked it as it's got its own series
    http://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/00000560/alexander_armstrongs_big_ask/

If only someone had pointed out to them, in between the pilot and filming of the full series, that 'ask' is not a noun. Grr.
    Forum Member
    I preferred the pilot/1st season where they had the guy who would confirm the answers to Xander I think (Dave Lamb I think it was) and make sure what the teams said was correct. Last weeks ep was OK, but there should have been more questions and Tim Vine trying to shoehorn his puns in was annoying.
  • RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I thought it was good. It didn't miss having Dave Lamb on the show.

There were some good anecdotes and questions. It seemed more relaxed that last series in that regard.
    I even thought Jo Brand was funny in parts, although she did go back to her husband jokes.

Jo Brand really gets on my nerves with her husband stuff. That and going on about eating is her act!

Did anyone see the promo that Alexander did for the show. It was a p*** take of Brad Pitt's Chanel ad!
    Forum Member
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    I preferred the pilot/1st season where they had the guy who would confirm the answers to Xander I think (Dave Lamb I think it was) and make sure what the teams said was correct. Last weeks ep was OK, but there should have been more questions and Tim Vine trying to shoehorn his puns in was annoying.
    That's what he does though. As with Jo Brand doing her usually shtick that's his act.
    But then again I like Tim Vine but Brand not so much.
  • Kazz_xKazz_x Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RoseAnne wrote: »
    Jo Brand really gets on my nerves with her husband stuff. That and going on about eating is her act!

Did anyone see the promo that Alexander did for the show. It was a p*** take of Brad Pitt's Chanel ad!

The ad is the reason I've watched it :p
  • The_Time_BeingThe_Time_Being Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    grimtales1 wrote: »

I thought Tim Vine was the saving grace. He refuses point blank to descend into smut when it's just not appropriate. He stuck to his principles.

AA was embarrassing launching into a series of forced expletive tirades, like some kind of David Brent middle manager with his "team" on a dreadful corporate "It IS big and it IS clever" bonding weekend
    Forum Member
    Strange intro from AA last night. He used the phrase "Did you know for example..." which is Jimmy Carr's regular phrase from 8Oo10C