The All Singing, All Dancing Remade Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Thread.

FinalBroadcastFinalBroadcast Posts: 3,763
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Post all your opinions on the film here. I'm going to see it in a couple of hours \o/

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't seen it yet, but i was driving to wrok yesterday and the radio station were interviewing Julie Dawn Cole (the original Veruca Salt), and at the end of the interview they played the entire "I want it now" song...i was singing loudly while driving down the motorway

"I WANT A BEAN FEAST!!!"

love it!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was watching the original yesterday to remind myself. I want to see the new one soon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i went to see it tonight and it was very good but not a patch on the Original :)

but thats because they over did the Special FX and changed the damn Umpa Lumpas :(, i know why they changed them but still i was gutted.

The songs in the Movie are ok but are over the top at the same time.

Mr Depp reminded me of Mr Jackson playing his role and i felt very strange every time he spoke.
  • JamfocusJamfocus Posts: 7,024
    Forum Member
    Did they use a lot of Special FX then? I know I was happy to hear that Burton made many sets for the film for example the room where you can eat everything.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it seemed like there was far too much Special FX, the room with the Garden set is real and looked great.

the sets are real but they just used some Special FX to add somthing extra, for me some of the Effects are not the best either and bring the movie down a few notches in the wow factor.

Maybe its just me though :)
  • ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw it today, thought it was really good
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    watched it tonight with my wife and 5 year old nephew,and we all loved it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what did you make of it upto the Original though ?
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the movie was good.Freddie Highmore as Charlie played the part very well.There was a couple of scenes in the movie where i felt sorry for Charlie because of Freddie Highmore performance.

Thought Johnny Depp was pretty good as Wonka

The only thing that did annoy me was when the Oompa Loompas would sing their songs.I personally found it difficult to make out what they were actually saying.I could hear certain words here & there.Did anyone else have this trouble?.

I also thought that Christopher Lee was the narrator but it turns out it's somebody called Geoffrey Holder

Can i aslo mention that when Charlie found the Golden Ticket some people in the cinema i was at actually applauded which i found abit strange also when the movie finished some people applauded.
  • Mr BlondeMr Blonde Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Johnny Depp was a huge letdown as Willy Wonka as he failed in his bid to eclipse Gene Wilder's performance...he used the wrong accent...his hair looked a mess and he played the character too dark...in summary it was embarrassing from start to finish and I will not be watching this film ever again...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The movie was fantastic - lots of very adult refrences and Willy Wonka was amazing.
    Gene Wilder was crap compared to Johnny Depp.
    This also followed the book a lot more and the ompa lumpa (sp?) songs were taken from the original book. Am sure Rohld Dahl would have been pleased.
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    watched it tonight with my wife and 5 year old nephew,and we all loved it

i loved the original but loved the book more and this film was more faithful to the book than the original
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was great, unlike the 1971 version it *was* the book in film form (in fact not that far off from how I imagined it to look when I read it). The only thing I wasn't too sure about was the back story about his father and the ending that it entails. I prefer Wonka as a quiet, unconfident, vulnerable character - which of course is how he would be if he'd been shut up in a factory for a couple of decades.

I was a huge Dahl fan as a child and was never that keen on the Gene Wilder version. too much was changed from the book (I particually don't like the contractual stuff at the end and the whole slugworth subplot). The point of the story (which is a moral of how to bring your kids up) was too clouded in the first version, particually because of the emphasis on Wonka rather than Charlie. The new version has a far cleaner plot
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    I'm not a huge fan of the original as I feel it drifts too far away from the book, but the new films looks fantastic. Johnny Depp is the PERFECT Willy Wonker IMO, can't wait to see it!
  • dingledangledingledangle Posts: 777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This was much better than the Wilder film, brilliant all round.

Wilder's original performance was a self-conciously comic performance of a wacky prof. Depp had real depth and sadness, a properly wounded individual (with definate shades of M. Jackson). Charlie's family had real pathos, like something out of a Becket play.

Strong casting all round, and I thought the cloned oompah-loompahs ware hilarious. (Also the narrator as revealed at the end btw). A masterpiece.

Did anyone notice that granpa was played by the one armed kitchen helper out of Robins Nest?
  • russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was so disapointed by this film that I had to write a review on IMDB. Anyone interested in my opinions can see them at http://imdb.com/title/tt0367594/usercomments-644
  • toastietoastie Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally thought it was a lot better than the Gene Wilder version.

I know it's supposed to be a kids film but when we went on Friday the cinema was full of adults :D
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    gerry d wrote:
    The only thing that did annoy me was when the Oompa Loompas would sing their songs.I personally found it difficult to make out what they were actually saying.I could hear certain words here & there.Did anyone else have this trouble?.

Can i aslo mention that when Charlie found the Golden Ticket some people in the cinema i was at actually applauded which i found abit strange also when the movie finished some people applauded.

I couldn't make out what the oompa loompas were singing either, and some people applauded at the cinema when i watched it too, which i found incredibly strange.

My favourite bit was when Johnny Depp said
    I'm edible too, but that's called cannibalism
    It absolutely creased me up :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,908
    Forum Member
    I saw it Saturday. Early sunday morning I had nightmares that Oompa Loompas were attacking me :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw it afew weeks ago and it is so much better than the original.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone notice that granpa was played by the one armed kitchen helper out of Robins Nest?

Yes and Mr O'Reilly from Fawlty Towers ('Yes we are orelly men'). Good to see Liz Smith in it, even though she did play virtually the same character she's played in everything for years (a dopy old woman)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was so disapointed by this film that I had to write a review on IMDB. Anyone interested in my opinions can see them at http://imdb.com/title/tt0367594/usercomments-644

The problem is that you continually compare the new film to 'the original' - the original was the book and both films are parallel interpretations of the book. In the review, you ask:

'Why were there squirrels and not geese?'... because Dahl wrote about squirrels (and geese were easier to film in 1971 which is the reason they changed the plot)

'Why was Mike accompanied by his father?'..... because that's in the original story. Mikes parent isn't meant to be a confident stong woman like in the 1971 version, it's supposed to be a weak and powerless man, hence why no-one's told Mike to turn off the TV (or computer games in this case)

'why, oh why, was there no flaw by Charlie?'..... because that's the point of the story; the other 4 kids have been brought up badly, Charlie had ben brought up correctly, hence he was perfect and won the big prize. The lemonade sub-plot was the worst bit of the 1971 film.

Why did he get 'in the Wonkavator (sorry, elevator) before Charlie had won?'..... because that's how he travels round the factory in the book, and it is the 'glass elevator' hence the sequel: 'Charlie and The Great Glass Elevator'

CATCF is more faithful to the book than the 1971 film (albeit with a few additions) and that's why it is IMHO the better version. There is more 'Dahl' in it which can only be a good thing.
  • russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem is that you continually compare the new film to 'the original' - the original was the book and both films are parallel interpretations of the book. In the review, you ask:

That's a fair point, perhaps being brought up with the original has made it seem infallible, and maybe that's unfair. But making a second adaption of a book is bound to incurr comparisons.

Regardless of the differences from the '71 film, it still seemed an all-round poor performance.
  • Cloud StrifeCloud Strife Posts: 1,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a fair point, perhaps being brought up with the original has made it seem infallible, and maybe that's unfair. But making a second adaption of a book is bound to incurr comparisons.

Regardless of the differences from the '71 film, it still seemed an all-round poor performance.

Well Dahl hated 1971 version. As it was nothing like the book. Hated it so much he would not let them make the glass elevator sequel
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Went to see it last night with 3 others and we all left thinking it was just excellent. Johnny Depp was amazing as Willy Wonka, and reminded me more of the book's Willy (even Quentin Blake's illustrations looked like the Willy Wonka Johnny Depp portrayed)...

Obviously this will be compared to the original film, but in fairness it shouldn't be as the original film wasn't an accurate interpretation of the book, and this isn't a remake of THAT film, it's another interpretation of the original book. Willy Wonka's character in the original film is nothing like that in the book... he IS aloof, detatched and manic in the book, and Johnny Depp got that across perfectly... His amazement at what he was seeing in his own factory was also a joy to see.

I didn't think i'd like the Oompa-Loompa's all being played by the same person, but I thought they were so good. Their songs cracked me up every time, as did Johnny Depp's reactions to them. He was laugh out loud funny throughout the whole film.

There were some excellent visuals, too. The whipped cream one was so bizarre it was hilarious. The boat ride through the chocolate river was stunning

The fact that squirrels were used instead of geese (as in the book), that there was no awful Slugworth backstory (as in the book), and that all the original characters were as they should be makes this film a huge hit for me, and hopefully I'll go to see it again before it's released on dvd.