Western Digital Passport Essential not working

Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
Forum Member
✭✭
I've been given a Western Digital Passport Essential 500GB external hard drive to look at from a friend as it isn't working.

I've tried plugging it into a couple of USB ports using a couple of different cables and each time a light comes on the hard drive and you can hear it spinning but nothing comes up on Windows. It's just not detecting any sort of device being connected.

I've just taken the hard drive out of it case hoping to see if I can plug it directly into my hard drive caddy but it doesn't appear to have a standard 2.5" hard drive IDE or SATA connection.

Anyone got any idea on what I can try to either get it working or connecting it up without using the USB port on it?

Comments

• LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Someone posted about these some time ago and I believe they look like this out of the case, pure junk in my opinion, I don't think there is much you can do (sorry).
    Some people posted on Google that a Y cable like this was needed to make them work, is that what your friend was using ?
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah that's exactly like how it looks, useless connection.

My friend isn't using that type of cable, but I think I have one somewhere to give it a go. Thanks.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't the PCB come off, and reveal standard SATA connections on the back of the drive?
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    Doesn't the PCB come off, and reveal standard SATA connections on the back of the drive?
    I've seen a few YouTube videos showing various people stripping down one of these drives. From those it would appear the USB connector is integrated onto the main drive electronics PCB rather than being a simple plug in unit.

WD appear to be using a specific type of drive for these units rather than just a bog standard unit with add on electronics to make it USB.
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    psionic wrote: »

It seems to be actually part of the drive with no way to come off.