Something I don't quite understand.

FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
Forum Member
The ending of "The Snowmen" where Clara is in the graveyard.

Which Clara is that? Where is she? At what point in her timeline? How will the Doctor find her if both versions are dead, and he 'can't cross his own timeline'?

It's confusing.

And in reference to who she is, it's probably a regenerated River Song or something.

Comments

• silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She IS The Great Intelligence ;)
  • FacepalmerFacepalmer Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    That was a new Clara. You'll have to watch the next half of the series to find out the rest. :)
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You treat each Clara Oswin Oswald the Doctor meets as a separate person with their own separate life - but who have some form of connection between each other (liking to make souffles etc).
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think anyone knows at the moment. Just wait and see. :)
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    silentNate wrote: »
    She IS The Great Intelligence ;)

Well if so since she was born from Ice this would explain her lack of attire in the freezing cold. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Facepalmer wrote: »
    That was a new Clara. You'll have to watch the next half of the series to find out the rest. :)

I agree with this. She is a third version of Clara and not either of the two we have previously met.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why couldn't the Doctor somehow catch Clara as she fell?:confused: and if Clara ain't dead where's red?:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    River used up all her regenerations when she brought the Doctor back to life in Let's kill Hitler, remember.
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    We don't have the answers yet but I don't see why it is confusing. Just before we see the modern day Clara in the cemetry The Doctor explains he's come across different versions of her and is off to meet her again. So it surely wasn't unexpected that we would see another Clara.

Anyway it was a teaser to lead into the rest of series 7

Best
  • tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The one thing I'm wondering about is the gravestone in the future. Surely Clara would wonder why her name was on the gravestone, unless she already knows who she is.
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless she was looking at the grave of great great aunt Clara who she was named after.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless she was looking at the grave of great great aunt Clara who she was named after.

That's probably it!
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tomwozhere wrote: »
    The one thing I'm wondering about is the gravestone in the future. Surely Clara would wonder why her name was on the gravestone, unless she already knows who she is.

From what was shown she wasn't looking at the Gravestone though.

She was only using the graveyard as a shortcut and just happened to stop by her gravestone cause her friend called out to her at that moment.

Of course she may well have used the shortcut before and seen the gravestone on a previous trip.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    From what was shown she wasn't looking at the Gravestone though.

She was only using the graveyard as a shortcut and just happened to stop by her gravestone cause her friend called out to her at that moment.

Of course she may well have used the shortcut before and seen the gravestone on a previous trip.

But you would think that she would have noticed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    River used up all her regenerations when she brought the Doctor back to life in Let's kill Hitler, remember.

There are still possibilities for unaccounted for regeneration before Mel, though I don't think Clara is river.
  • hypergreenfroghypergreenfrog Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But you would think that she would have noticed.

But we don't know if her name even is the same in this life. The girl in Victorian times was called Clara Oswin Oswald, but the one in the Asylum was only called Oswin Oswald, not Clara.Maybe the person we see in the graveyard is called Clara + something completely different.

Also, I agree with Corwin, she didn't actually look at the gravestone in the scene. Maybe that's what will happen in the first scene of the next episode, Clara finding her "own" grave.
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    Firegazer wrote: »
    The ending of "The Snowmen" where Clara is in the graveyard.

Which Clara is that? Where is she? At what point in her timeline? How will the Doctor find her if both versions are dead, and he 'can't cross his own timeline'?
    It's confusing.

And in reference to who she is, it's probably a regenerated River Song or something.

The Doctor can't (or tries not to) cross his own timeline, in the sense of visiting a time and place where he might meet his earlier self but I don't see how that applies here.

Presumably he will just look up the TARDIS database to see if there have been any other Clara Oswin Oswalds in history and go visit that time and place. Or, possibly, the TARDIS can home in on a person once its sampled their DNA or something.

Either way, there's no need to cross his timeline.
    Forum Member

Was it all her regenerations? Maybe I'm misremembering but I thought it was just some unspecified number.

In any case, if a Time Lord dies they regenerate into a new body so the fact that Clara seems to keep having the same body would tend to argue against her being just a regenerated River. I don't think even a Time Lord could have survived the Asylum explosion anyway!

She could, however, be some kind of psychic projection of River from the Library but, in that case, why change her form?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But we don't know if her name even is the same in this life. The girl in Victorian times was called Clara Oswin Oswald, but the one in the Asylum was only called Oswin Oswald, not Clara.Maybe the person we see in the graveyard is called Clara + something completely different.

Also, I agree with Corwin, she didn't actually look at the gravestone in the scene. Maybe that's what will happen in the first scene of the next episode, Clara finding her "own" grave.

Oswin isn't Asylum versions first name I don't think. She says "Oswin Oswald, Junnior Entertainments Officer Starship Alaska" Name rank and serial number, she doesn't think to say her first name.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thrombin wrote: »
    Was it all her regenerations? Maybe I'm misremembering but I thought it was just some unspecified number.

The quote was something like "you used up your remaining regenerations"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I know it's likely she didn't see it, but I do think her name will be Clara Oswin Oswald because they doctor told her that she had a nice name and she shouldn't change it. This just makes me think that Oswin dropped Clara from her name.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Either way, there's no need to cross his timeline.
    I wonder if he'll play it cagey though - after all, he doesn't know if anything he does now will affect the nature of his meeting with the first Oswald in the Asylum.
    Forum Member
    I wonder if he'll play it cagey though - after all, he doesn't know if anything he does now will affect the nature of his meeting with the first Oswald in the Asylum.

Neither version of Clara recognized the Doctor when they first met him so it seems that they don't retain their memories from one lifetime to the next. As such, I doubt that it matters how much he reveals to the new Clara. She won't remember it by the time Asylum comes along.

Unless, of course, she's a time travelling entity and Asylum has actually already happened for her :eek:
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member

Perhaps she is already on her own adventure to find out why a dead woman has her name.
    Cel1084 wrote: »
    There are still possibilities for unaccounted for regeneration before Mel, though I don't think Clara is river.

Not so sure about that. River clearly says in Let's Kill Hitler that the last time she regenerated was in New York into a toddler, as we saw in Day of The Moon.

Sure she could have regenerated between being a baby in A Good Man Goes To War and being a child in The Impossible Astronaut, and The Doctor has said regeneration is fairly random. But would a baby or child regenerate into a young woman of Clara's age and then back into a child again?

Ok, the little girl in Day of The Moon doesn't seem to be surprised by her on coming regeneration, so could suggest she has done it before. But I took it that as a Time Lord (or part Time Lord) she had an innate knowledge of what regeneration is.

Anyway, bit long winded and kind of off track. :D I agree with you that I don't think Clara is River. I think Moffat would want to do something new with Clara.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Neither version of Clara recognized the Doctor when they first met him so it seems that they don't retain their memories from one lifetime to the next. As such, I doubt that it matters how much he reveals to the new Clara. She won't remember it by the time Asylum comes along.

Unless, of course, she's a time travelling entity and Asylum has actually already happened for her :eek:

I don't necessarily mean information. Given that we don't know the how the mystery is happening, what if the Doctor's investigation affects it happening? He's part of events now - if he does anything to affect the mechanism, then perhaps Dalek Oswald won't exist in the future to set him on the path of investigating the mystery.