If the BBC axe The Voice after S2 do you think ITV could pick it up?

Comments

• Mike2011Mike2011 Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    I think if ITV did take over they would do well with marketing the *tour* of The Voice, the BBC didn't hype up the tour, I don't recall seeing any promotion for it like they do for Xfactor, no wonder it got shelved.

That being said, I don't see why the bbc would axe The Voice if it brings in the viewers, I don't care if the winner doesn't do well in the charts or if there is a tour, I liked the show so will be watching again.

It's just a shame they spent so much of our money on a show that could have been shown on ITV at no cost to us.Fools.
  • LeeyaLeeya Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    The Voice of Korea is good.
    Anyway
    The Voice UK did lose 6.85 viewers during the course of the show
    If it continues to decline like that there will be no viewers left

I don't think ITV would ever pick it up
  • maggie_07maggie_07 Posts: 1,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IF the BBC dropped The Voice, which I think is very unlikely, ITV couldn't just "pick it up". ITV wanted The Voice originally and put in a higher offer than the BBC but John de Mol didn't want to sell it to them, he wanted the BBC to have it.

The Voice has only had one series so far with an average of about 8 million. For a first series that's pretty good and not what I call a failure. It can only get better.

There were some very talented finalists who have all been working hard on their music in the last 12 months and I'm looking forward to hearing their albums when they're released.
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maggie_07 wrote: »
    IF the BBC dropped The Voice, which I think is very unlikely, ITV couldn't just "pick it up". ITV wanted The Voice originally and put in a higher offer than the BBC but John de Mol didn't want to sell it to them, he wanted the BBC to have it.

The Voice has only had one series so far with an average of about 8 million. For a first series that's pretty good and not what I call a failure. It can only get better.

There were some very talented finalists who have all been working hard on their music in the last 12 months and I'm looking forward to hearing their albums when they're released.

If you wait a couple of weeks the "aritists" albums will be in the bargain bin at a supermarket near you.:D:D
  • SliverOfDiamondSliverOfDiamond Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched The Voice last time, and I think it fell apart after the initial people were chosen. I ended up watching it on the iPlayer and speeding through the non-singing bits, it was rubbish with the usual sob stories.

I don't want to see any more poxy sob stories, I just want to see the singing and maybe someone getting better through being mentored by a famous professional who knows the business.
  • penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Somebody high up needs shooting at the BBC then buying a formula show with "flaws" with that amount of cash.:mad:

The name you're looking for is Danny Cohen, Head of all he Surveys and determined to introduce 'cool's shows.

How he explains The Voice is a story we will never hear
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    let me give you some inside info....

my best friend was one of the finalists - and let me just say that her/her judge was a right toss bag..... and that I believe is one of the reasons the show failed.

the whole premise of the show was to find a good voice... but it comes down to a popularity contest as usual.... which is what record companies want as they sell records in the short term.

what we need, is a show where the public vote is taken off, and music industry experts have the final say... but no one will do this as they loose their voting line money. Sad really
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    let me give you some inside info....

my best friend was one of the finalists - and let me just say that her/her judge was a right toss bag..... and that I believe is one of the reasons the show failed.

the whole premise of the show was to find a good voice... but it comes down to a popularity contest as usual.... which is what record companies want as they sell records in the short term.

what we need, is a show where the public vote is taken off, and music industry experts have the final say... but no one will do this as they loose their voting line money. Sad really

How many times does it have to be said -

the BBC DO NOT make any money from the voting lines, they are not allowed to profit from phone voting. Of the 25p it costs, 10p goes to the Performing Arts Fund.
  • philenglandphilengland Posts: 8,176
    Forum Member
    Channel 4 could get it - would be a good fit for them with 4Music and E4
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    iluvdannii wrote: »
    Do you think it's possible that another network will pick it up because i do think the show as a lot of potential and if they don't succeed with S2 and it gets the axe do you think another network will pick it up? because I can see the owners of the franchise looking for a new home for it in the UK.

It will be unlikely that ITV will pick it up if Series 2 fails, although they originally bid to pay £22 million for the programme, if the show continues to decline in ratings ITV probably wouldn't want to take it on - plus they already have Dancing on Ice, Britain's Got Talent and The X Factor. They would also need to find a replacement for the co-presenter Reggie Yates as he is not contracted with ITV.
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Mike2011 wrote: »
    It's just a shame they spent so much of our money on a show that could have been shown on ITV at no cost to us.Fools.

You pay for ITV every time you buy anything advertised on ITV, or any own-label goods from supermarkets which are advertised on ITV. There's no such thing as a free lunch!
  • twogunthomtwogunthom Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its a possibility as they look set to cancel x factor after 10 series

This is the reason the BBC should not be wasting money on it the format has run its course viewers are getting tired of it.
  • ElectricBoy171ElectricBoy171 Posts: 20,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They wouldn't I don't think but I would of rather it was on ITV as their shows like this are a lot better (OK, the X Factor has declined as it's rather stale now) but I think they'd have done a better job.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    You pay for ITV every time you buy anything advertised on ITV, or any own-label goods from supermarkets which are advertised on ITV. There's no such thing as a free lunch!

I skip all the adverts so how am I paying, no matter how indirectly, to ITV?
  • bgtensionbgtension Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope they axe this show, it's a disgrace the amount of licence payers money has been wasted on this garbage!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bgtension wrote: »
    I hope they axe this show, it's a disgrace the amount of licence payers money has been wasted on this garbage!

There are a lot of programmes that license payers money is spent on that I would never watch, some of which is garbage. However, other people watch these programmes so I can't complain about my money being spent on them. I don't expect the BBC to just cater for my tastes. An average of 8 million people watched The Voice - are they supposed to be ignored just because you don't like it?
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »
    I skip all the adverts so how am I paying, no matter how indirectly, to ITV?
    You buy something, that money goes to the company who produces whatever it is, that company buys advertising on ITV.

It doesn't matter if you watch the advert or not, ITV are getting their money from companies and the reason those companies have money to give to ITV is because people are buying their goods.

Indeed the price of those goods will have been calculated to take into account overheads, such as an advertsing budget.

The only way you couldn't be providing funds to ITV would be if everything in your life was from small companies who don't advertise on television (and that includes your insurance, your mortgage, your clothes, your wash powder, your cosmetics and so on).
  • bgtensionbgtension Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maggie_07 wrote: »
    There are a lot of programmes that license payers money is spent on that I would never watch, some of which is garbage. However, other people watch these programmes so I can't complain about my money being spent on them. I don't expect the BBC to just cater for my tastes. An average of 8 million people watched The Voice - are they supposed to be ignored just because you don't like it?

Yes. £26 million for this pile of crap is obscene!!:mad:
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    bgtension wrote: »
    Yes. £26 million for this pile of crap is obscene!!:mad:
    Loads of people loved it. It was bbc's most watched new entertainment show in 10 years, averaged 9.2million for 1st series.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Loads of people loved it. It was bbc's most watched new entertainment show in 10 years, averaged 9.2million for 1st series.

But it lost viewers as the series went on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    jackbell wrote: »
    But it lost viewers as the series went on.

definately as there were flaws in the format, but even x factor tends to lose viewers as it goes on nowadays

and to be fair the final did pick back up which shows the interest was there when they actually managed to do one of the live shows right

the disappointing thing is the biggest weakness in the UK format was the live shows last year yet I don't think the BBC have addressed this, other than reducing them which is a bit of a cop out. They had two much better options...the changes that were made in america with it all being down to public vote and the acts with the lowest votes leaving every week and the itunes votes counting for more or the approaches in europe that have I believe incorporated audience voting or the judges scoring the performance based on purely the voice (backs to the artist as in the auditions)
  • KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    They just need better / more relatable singers on the show. The ones they had got their due to strangeness or sob stories.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    definately as there were flaws in the format, but even x factor tends to lose viewers as it goes on nowadays

and to be fair the final did pick back up which shows the interest was there when they actually managed to do one of the live shows right

the disappointing thing is the biggest weakness in the UK format was the live shows last year yet I don't think the BBC have addressed this, other than reducing them which is a bit of a cop out. They had two much better options...the changes that were made in america with it all being down to public vote and the acts with the lowest votes leaving every week and the itunes votes counting for more or the approaches in europe that have I believe incorporated audience voting or the judges scoring the performance based on purely the voice (backs to the artist as in the auditions)

You would think some big shot producer at the BBC would have gotten themselves over observe how Mark Burnett & Co at NBC filmed the new season of the Voice not to mention discuss how to do the lives properly..in all honesty the BBC simply does not have the budget to do the lives right. Endemol should have sold the rights to either ITV, Sky or Channel4. At least then we would have gotten the inclusion of itunes for votes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member
    KToure wrote: »
    Yo..in all honesty the BBC simply does not have the budget to do the lives right.

You don't need tons of money for a good show, you just need talented producers/directors etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EuroChris wrote: »
    You don't need tons of money for a good show, you just need talented producers/directors etc.

And they cost money. The first season of the US show cost about 2.3mill an hour. There were 12 episodes. 11 of which were 2 hours long. That's 52.9 mill for the first season, not even including the studio time and what they paid Stevie Nicks and the rest of the celebrities to perform with the final 4. Season 2 had 21 episodes, and season three had 32. They also hired new set designers, wardrobe people, make up artists, PAs, editors, and more. If you watch the press conferences is each year, they spell out what they have been tweaking and each time they tweak it by hiring someone new with a fresh perspective. They are well near the 100 mill mark if not already surpassed it by now.