Game Difficulty

STeelySTeely Posts: 329
Forum Member
Top Spin 4 is a fine tennis game , until you reach the grand slam semi final , then it becomes virtually impossible , as the cpu player becomes super human , so i saved it before the semi final and kept replaying it , but never winning , this was on normal ,so today i switched it to easy , won easily , but i dont like playing on easy!!

What Difficulty Do You Choose? 71 votes

Very Easy
5% 4 votes
Easy
11% 8 votes
Normal
64% 46 votes
Hard
9% 7 votes
Very Hard
1% 1 vote
Anything Else , Like Veteran Etc
7% 5 votes

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe the AI learns how you play and you have to change your game. I think they did this with an NHL game so you couldn't score the same goals but I've not bought an NHL game for a few years now so not sure.

I play a lot of FIFA and no matter who my opponent is in the cups, once I get to the quarter final the game is always harder, doesn't matter if I'm against Barcelona in the Champions League or Stevenage in the League Cup. It's not as impossible as your game seems though!
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because I rent games I like to put it on easy so I can enjoy the game without it taking too long. I did play metro last light twice. Once on easy and again on hard but that is area liked enjoy the game and I don't like dying
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tend to play most games on their default difficulty which is normal

I like to play it on that first because its basically how the developers intended the game to be, then if i like the game i'll do it again on harder difficulties

I usual do CoD on normal and then veteran, with the occasional hard in between, i also played the uncharted trilogy and the last of us on Normal, then hard and the crushing/survivor
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think games should have pre defined difficulty settings.
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I chose Normal for the poll but I'm still trying to find an Easy mode for Super Meat Boy ;):D
  • ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since around 2009 I tend play on the hardest difficulty available for the majority of my games, however there are a couple which I know are beyond my ability (such as the Ninja Gaiden's or Killzone 2) so I wimp out and play it on normal or one down from the hardest.
  • ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    I normally choose hard. However with Batman: Arkham City, I just had to notch it down a little!
  • beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member
    Depends what makes the difficulty, difficulty- more interesting rules, more elaborate puzzles, better AI etc, and I'll go for hard. Just giving the AI bigger guns and weighting random chance in its favour, easy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I normally go for the hardest setting available. I'm not one for replaying games much so when crushing or suicide is unlocked after hard I never bother with those.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends. For me, difficulty doesn't make the game. However, obviously if it's too easy then that isn't enjoyable either. I usually go for normal, but sometimes I got to the next setting up depending on the game.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Normal then crank it up

Harder runs through are more fun after a normal run
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think games should have pre defined difficulty settings.

Yes they should, but I don't think the hardest setting should be locked to force multiple plays. It's just a poor way to increase longevity.
  • ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on the game really, I can't be bothered and see no point in doing a game on normal, only to have to do it again on hard then veteran, so i'd choose veteran and get the achievements that way. With the Halo games i'd choose Legendary (although i'm still struggling to get 'the library' level done :o). I have tried a few games on 'Insane' but never completed one on that level.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes they should, but I don't think the hardest setting should be locked to force multiple plays. It's just a poor way to increase longevity.

agreed and I also think the gamer score should be changed depending on difficulty used, when completing a game...

Normal = 25G
    Hard/Heroic = 50G
    Vet/Legendary = 75G
    Insane = 100G

what do other gamer's think. do u agree ?.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My first run through is normally on the hardest setting because I want a challenge and I want the game to last as long as possible. But once I have finished the game I often like a second playthrough on easy to just have fun with the game trying things out ect.

I find games which don't have the hardest setting open from the start really annoying because that often requires a playthrough on hard to open really hard mode which means two hard playthrough.
    agreed and I also think the gamer score should be changed depending on difficulty used, when completing a game...

Normal = 25G
    Hard/Heroic = 50G
    Vet/Legendary = 75G
    Insane = 100G

what do other gamer's think. do u agree ?.

I thought Trophies and Achievements were roughly alike because on PSN you often get games giving a Bronze for completing the game, a Silver for completing on Normal and a Gold for completing on the hardest setting.
  • Lisa.JLisa.J Posts: 1,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went for normal but to be honest it depends on the game. FIFA I'd usually go for the hardest as its a game I'm good at & wouldnt enjoy winning every game without it challenging me.

Stuff like COD I'd probably have on normal as I'm not that great at FPS, if it was too difficult it'd probably make me that annoyed I wouldnt want to play it again.

I remember reading people complaining that Red Dead was too easy when it came out, but it was perfect for me. I dont really want to play games like that to get annoyed & frustrated at dying all the time - the story was the main thing for me.
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't know. Have you tried the insane mode of Dead Space without the upgraded weapons from earlier plays?:eek:

I usually go for normal and then work my way up, if I can be bothered/if I like the game enough to go again.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed over the last couple of years that I'm finding games harder and harder. I don't know if your reflexes just go as you get older . . .

Pro Evolution annoyed me as on the PS2 versions I used to play it on the hardest difficulty level (I think the highest was 6 stars that could be unlocked on PES 4) however I really struggled to do that on the PS3 versions. I've now accepted that I have to play at normal level.
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Normal!!! (Or Easy) if I'm in a rush! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed over the last couple of years that I'm finding games harder and harder. I don't know if your reflexes just go as you get older . . .

Pro Evolution annoyed me as on the PS2 versions I used to play it on the hardest difficulty level (I think the highest was 6 stars that could be unlocked on PES 4) however I really struggled to do that on the PS3 versions. I've now accepted that I have to play at normal level.

Ur reflexes def slow down the older u get lol well that's my excuse for getting owned lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    My first run through is normally on the hardest setting because I want a challenge and I want the game to last as long as possible. But once I have finished the game I often like a second playthrough on easy to just have fun with the game trying things out ect.

I find games which don't have the hardest setting open from the start really annoying because that often requires a playthrough on hard to open really hard mode which means two hard playthrough.

I thought Trophies and Achievements were roughly alike because on PSN you often get games giving a Bronze for completing the game, a Silver for completing on Normal and a Gold for completing on the hardest setting.

I was more referring to XBL achievements. I just think that completing a game on Veteran or Insane should offer us a higher gamer score than the normal 50G. So for instance completing a COD game on Veteran would give u 50G for normal, 75G for Hard and 100G for Veteran, instead of 50+50+50 or whatever.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was more referring to XBL achievements. I just think that completing a game on Veteran or Insane should offer us a higher gamer score than the normal 50G. So for instance completing a COD game on Veteran would give u 50G for normal, 75G for Hard and 100G for Veteran, instead of 50+50+50 or whatever.

I had just assumed that was how it worked given we get a Gold for completing Veteran and a Silver for Normal. I always thought the Silver / Gold trophies roughly converted to gamer score values so on a Veteran win with a Gold would equate to 100G while a Normal win with a Silver would equate to 50G.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    I had just assumed that was how it worked given we get a Gold for completing Veteran and a Silver for Normal. I always thought the Silver / Gold trophies roughly converted to gamer score values so on a Veteran win with a Gold would equate to 100G while a Normal win with a Silver would equate to 50G.

Yeah ur right HB, just checked Modern 3 and it's 100G for completing the game on Hardened or Veteran (dunno what I was thinking tbh lol). I thought it was 50G for each.

*I'll be standing over in the corner facing the wall if anyone wants me :o lol
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    For a first playthrough, I pick the one below the hardest setting every time, then if I play through it again, go through it on the hardest setting.

I just think you get more out of the game at it's hardest setting. Depeding on the game the hardest setting is usually the most realistic or mode where you have to be most tactical, but I like to get used to the game first, and saving the hardest setting also gives me an excuse to play through it again and get a few more achievements.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    all games are way too easy now

they hold your hand all the way through, we have checkpoints every 2 seconds, unlimited lives, aim assist, steering assistant etc etc etc etc

i remember when games were actually games...the whole game was included at purchase....if you want extra content you didnt buy dlc, you unlocked stuff by doing well at the game....
    you started on level 1 , if you died you started from the start, some games allowed you to collect lives, so you got to restart the level

now im gonna go back to playing my interactive cutscene masquerading as a video game