Kobo

BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,092
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm looking at buying a Kobo, either the Touch e-reader or the Glo.

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndSearch/kobotouchereader.aspx

Is the only difference between the 2 the light? I've looked at the comparison table and it seems so, but surely thats not worth an extra £20.

The Touch is £79, whereas the Glo is £99.

Would you recommend a Kobo?
If so, which one, or one I haven't considered?
Are they worth it?
Where can you download books from?
Do both have wifi?

I'm a bit clueless when it comes to things like this! Thanks in advance guys!

Comments

• googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would you not buy the kindle like everyone else
  • BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the kindle is more expensive, and also limits me to only buying from amazon, whereas the Kobo doesn't
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They both have wifi, although it's not clear at first sight. Glo looks like an answer to Amazon's Kindle Paperwhite. If they use the same screen, too, it will have a higher resolution = smoother text. This is just an assumption, they write nothing about that. Where to buy books, I have Kindle so somebody else will have to help with that.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    googleking wrote: »
    Why would you not buy the kindle like everyone else

Not everyone buys it though...it does not suit everyone
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kobo has it's own store

Can also buy from:

Books on board
    WH Smith
    Waterstones
    Foyles

Obviously many more if any one can add to the list.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best thing to do is to go into WH Smith and try them out.

Note that the Kobo Vox needs charging properly, not by a USB plug. The charger is included, despite what the salesman will tell you.

I will warn you that the manufacturers make it hard to buy ebooks from anywhere but their own site. Of course that can be got round but it is moderately difficult to find out how to do it - because it also teaches one how to do illegal things.

The good neews is that there is very little price advantage between the various ereader siktes. At waterstones site you can use their gift cards to buy ebooks, though a bit tricky to get them into an ereader - I do that because I have plenty of gift card money left. I must admit I use the Ipad more than an erader but I use the kbo a little as it is lighter to take out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wont be getting the vox, its too expensive and too much of a tablet, but thanks.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the idea of the glo. I have a fiddly clip on light that's annoying and the Kindle cover with light is big bucks. E-ink is still the best way to read ebooks. Long may it continue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the glo but is the light really worth another £20, and means its harder to read in the sun?
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will have some switch to turn the light on and off surely? I just wish my kindle had it available when I bought mine!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP, WH Smith's are doing a deal, if you buy the kobo from them you can get 5 ebooks for £5.
  • Goldbear86Goldbear86 Posts: 1,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the look of the Glo but I have a kindle so surely if I were to move I would lose my books? When I looked on their store (the Kobo that is) all the books seemed much more expensive than on Amazon. Perhaps that's just the authors I like.
  • kriss57kriss57 Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bethaneeny wrote: »
    I'm looking at buying a Kobo, either the Touch e-reader or the Glo.

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndSearch/kobotouchereader.aspx

Is the only difference between the 2 the light? I've looked at the comparison table and it seems so, but surely thats not worth an extra £20.

The Touch is £79, whereas the Glo is £99.

Would you recommend a Kobo?
    If so, which one, or one I haven't considered?
    Are they worth it?
    Where can you download books from?
    Do both have wifi?

I'm a bit clueless when it comes to things like this! Thanks in advance guys!

I have the basic Kobo WiFi ereader, I went to WH Smiths last week and purchased another for less than £50 for the wife, I think they are great.
    Although at that price I think they are discontinuing them very soon, grab a bargain while you can.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    the kindle is more expensive, and also limits me to only buying from amazon, whereas the Kobo doesn't

It does not limit you should you get a conversion program called Calibre.

Plenty of free books give you the choice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    those who mentioned it - I'm not getting a kindle, they're more expensive than I want to spend.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    those who mentioned it - I'm not getting a kindle, they're more expensive than I want to spend.

There is now a £69 version of the kindle, it went down in price a few days ago. Not sure how much you wanted to spend.
    Forum Member
    There is now a £69 version of the kindle, it went down in price a few days ago. Not sure how much you wanted to spend.

I'm assuming she wanted the Touch which is £109 compared to £79 for the Touch Kobo
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i got the Kobo wi-fi, and I am very pleased with it. I could have got the Kindle as it was more or less the same price at the time, but I wanted to go for something different,

i love the kobo, it works well.

The Glo as far as I can see is just a normal Kobo using E-ink with a back light, the sort of things they have in digital watches so you can see the watch at night. If it is worth £20 extra i don't know, but it saves packing a little LED light when you go away.

If I was buying a new Kobo I think I would go for the glo.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do yourself a favour and just buy a Kindle.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »

What is it with you and supporting the monopolies?

Talk Talk, big company, Microsoft with their windows 8, another big company, now Kindle owned by Amazon another big monopolising company.

I am glad we all don't think like you other wise we would have a couple of companies doing everything.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd also go for the glo. The built in light will be invaluable for reading in low light situations/ in bed. I think for £ 20 it's worth it. I'm sure it would cost more to buy a lighted cover (if kobo do those). Of course you could always buy a clip on light but they are less convenient and you would have to worry about the battery in the kobo and the battery in the light.
    Forum Member

Why? :confused:
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    What is it with you and supporting the monopolies?

Talk Talk, big company, Microsoft with their windows 8, another big company, now Kindle owned by Amazon another big monopolising company.

I am glad we all don't think like you other wise we would have a couple of companies doing everything.

I buy products that work well for me. Talk talk has been faultless, Windows/Office/Adobe CS et al work out of the box, Kindle is a super product and better than the Kobo, the Land Rover Discovery I bought new does all I need of a 4x4 and is more comfortable than a Defender, my Sony Vaio was all customised for me when ordered and works very well as I'm sure my Surface Tablet will. Its not a case of buying from a 'monopolising' company, its just I want something that fits my personal criteria and works well, life is too short to faff about.
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/2012/09/09/first-look-at-kobo-glo-kobo-mini-and-kobo-arc-videos/

Is a great site ive recently discovered.

Scroll through and view the videos about them.
    Forum Member
    Kindle is a super product and better than the Kobo

In what ways?