My PC Won't Accept Internet Connection

MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Recently, I have noticed that my PC which is about 30 months old won't always accept an internet connection despite the fact that the ethernet cable is connected direct. However, my laptop which is in another room does accept internet connection via my Homeplugs Network connection.

On PC when I try to go online, the webpages just come up blank.

I suspect that I may have a bug in it somewhere which may have sneaked in via my anti-virus system. (I use Kaspersky Internet Security).

The only thing I can think of is to wipe the drive entirely using a back up disc and re-installing all my software from scratch which takes hours. I have an external hard drive where i can save all my files.

Has anyone out there got any ideas though what might be causing this disconnection, and is wiping the drives the best option I have?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• John259John259 Posts: 28,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can the PC in question access the router admin ok? That would probably be a very useful bit of information in helping to track down the problem.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you get any messages on the screen such as duplicate IP addresses?
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrGiles2 wrote: »
    Recently, I have noticed that my PC which is about 30 months old won't always accept an internet connection despite the fact that the ethernet cable is connected direct. However, my laptop which is in another room does accept internet connection via my Homeplugs Network connection.

On PC when I try to go online, the webpages just come up blank.

I suspect that I may have a bug in it somewhere which may have sneaked in via my anti-virus system. (I use Kaspersky Internet Security).

The only thing I can think of is to wipe the drive entirely using a back up disc and re-installing all my software from scratch which takes hours. I have an external hard drive where i can save all my files.

Has anyone out there got any ideas though what might be causing this disconnection, and is wiping the drives the best option I have?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    There's a few things to try before a reinstall.

A few questions:
    Which browser?
    How exactly are you connected to the Internet? (e.g. Ethernet cable to Homeplug to router?)
    Can you connect to the admin screen of the router?
  • MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use three browsers, Internet Explorer; Opera and Google Chrome.

I rarely use Opera now though.

Will check Admin Router though, thanks, and yes router is connected direct to PC. I have another ethernet cable running from router to Homeplug Network plugged into wall.
  • curiousclivecuriousclive Posts: 378
    Forum Member
    Have you tried right clicking the internet icon in task bar and choosing "Trouble shooting problems" let it run and some times it repairs whatever is wrong, sometimes not.
    You could also try swapping over the Ethernet cables in router to see if it a problem with the Ethernet plug.
  • MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice, will try that.

Funny thing though, I tried to go back online on PC after a couple of hours and it was working! Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not.

Terribly frustrating.