Road Tax Not Arrived

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
Forum Member
I ordered my road tax online on Sunday but it hasn't arrived yet and my current tax expires on Monday.

I phoned the DVLA and they said I should get it by Tuesday at the latest- I pointed out that I'd be driving without displaying a valid tax disc and asked what would happen if I got pulled over. She said that the police wouldn't take any action but I'm not so sure...

If I do get pulled will they 'do me' for not dispalying a valid tax disc or will they just do a DVLA check? :confused:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should've gone to your local Post Office (or DVLA office)... you'd have got it there and then...

(Seriously - I've lost count of the number of times I've heard 'I renewed my tax online and it hasn't arrived yet'...)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    Yeah, I know- I'm kicking myself now but I've renewed it online the last two times before this and it's been fine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 305
    Forum Member
    You'll be fine! The police will have it on their records that the car is taxed despite not having the correct tax disc. Should you get pulled over and they spot it - just explain. It'll be ok.
  • FinglongaFinglonga Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dissonance wrote: »
    Should've gone to your local Post Office (or DVLA office)... you'd have got it there and then...

(Seriously - I've lost count of the number of times I've heard 'I renewed my tax online and it hasn't arrived yet'...)

Especially when its left so late to do it on line. I always use the P/O if there is less than 14 days left in the month.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    You'll be fine! The police will have it on their records that the car is taxed despite not having the correct tax disc. Should you get pulled over and they spot it - just explain. It'll be ok.

unless you get some over officious **** who wants to get his figures up !!!! , if an anpr camera sees you it wont register as untaxed , so you will be ok from that point of view , i wouldnt go parking it on the road if you can avoid it until you get the disc :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's good advice from paulyoung. My local authority lifts cars not displaying a disc off the streets so while the police might be gracious about it, a council might not be.
    Forum Member
    Bossyboots wrote: »
    That's good advice from paulyoung. My local authority lifts cars not displaying a disc off the streets so while the police might be gracious about it, a council might not be.

they do it round here as well , and with a vengence !!! , its not unusual to see one on the flat bed and one on the dolly at the same time , mind you , unless it is the OPs situation i have no sympathy whatsoever , most likely not insured or mot'ed as well :mad:
    Forum Member
    Would that also apply to a public car park? I have to go to work on Monday and park in a public car park (I have a season ticket) can the traffic wardens/parking attendent people do anything about the tax disc? Can I be towed if I have a valid parking ticket but not displaying current road tax??

Even more worried now!:confused:
    Forum Member
    Would that also apply to a public car park? I have to go to work on Monday and park in a public car park (I have a season ticket) can the traffic wardens/parking attendent people do anything about the tax disc? Can I be towed if I have a valid parking ticket but not displaying current road tax??

Even more worried now!:confused:

in effect i would have thought it would be classed as parked on the highway , open to contradiction on that one , if it is , it is highly likely to get looked at during the day by someone checking that the parking is paid for :(
    Forum Member
    Would it make a difference if I print out the DVLA online road tax confirmation for my new tax disc and display that in the window next to my current tax disc when I park?

Other than that I guess my only other option is to rent a car to go to work in until my tax turns up :(
    Forum Member
    Would it make a difference if I print out the DVLA online road tax confirmation for my new tax disc and display that in the window next to my current tax disc when I park?

Other than that I guess my only other option is to rent a car to go to work in until my tax turns up :(

i dont think it is possible to get away with it all :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

print off the confirmation.

FYI dvla were on strike friday.

im sure you will get it

dont worry
  • FinglongaFinglonga Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The offence is "failure to display" even the confirmation note pinned to the screen you not displaying a valid tax disc so the offence still stands.
  • UltrasonicUltrasonic Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just display a home-made sign in the windscreen which says "TAX IN POST."

And if you're parking illegally, display another one saying "MIDWIFE ON EMERGENCY CALL."
    Forum Member
    Texted my brother whose a policeman and he's said "It should be on the computer so leave your old one in the car then at least you're displaying one and won't get done for not displaying".

Asked him about getting towed and he said- "Wouldn't think so especially if it's pay and display, don't see how they can"...

I'm so annoyed for not just going to the post office to do it!
    Forum Member
    Texted my brother whose a policeman and he's said "It should be on the computer so leave your old one in the car then at least you're displaying one and won't get done for not displaying".

hows that going to work , you would be displaying an out of date disc !!!!! , against the law as well :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hows that going to work , you would be displaying an out of date disc !!!!! , against the law as well :confused:

yes, but even the police arnt that stupid

i know what you are saying and you are right but their computer would be able to confirm the vehicle is taxed along with the confirmation..

what else can the op do?

your not a traffic warden are you?

mind you, the dvla does say 5 working days.....

maybe the op left it too late or it is lost in the post
    Forum Member
    digibod wrote: »
    yes, but even the police arnt that stupid

i know what you are saying and you are right but their computer would be able to confirm the vehicle is taxed along with the confirmation..

what else can the op do?

your not a traffic warden are you?

mind you, the dvla does say 5 working days.....

maybe the op left it too late or it is lost in the post

but if it is parked in a public place with an out of date disc , surely it is liable to be lifted , or would they be happy with failure to display ???
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but if it is parked in a public place with an out of date disc , surely it is liable to be lifted , or would they be happy with failure to display ???

i hate this country
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the advice everyone- I'm not gonna take the chance of being towed.

I'm gonna hire a car until my tax comes through, hopefully it'll be Monday (knowing my luck I'll hire the car and the tax will drop through the door before I leave for work!). Guess this'll teach me to order it 2 weeks or so before it expires or just go to the post office- it's an expensive lesson though...
    :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Asked him about getting towed and he said- "Wouldn't think so especially if it's pay and display, don't see how they can"...

In my borough they would be lifted from a council run car park. It is made clear that a condition of parking on public land in the borough is that you have to be displaying a valid tax disc. Come Monday mid morning, I will be able to look out of my office window and see cars along the street displaying bright yellow UNTAXED CAR stickers and wheel clamps. They will then start lifting and shifting them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bossyboots wrote: »
    In my borough they would be lifted from a council run car park. It is made clear that a condition of parking on public land in the borough is that you have to be displaying a valid tax disc. Come Monday mid morning, I will be able to look out of my office window and see cars along the street displaying bright yellow UNTAXED CAR stickers and wheel clamps. They will then start lifting and shifting them.

lol, as much as i hate insurance and tax dodgers, if some trafic warden put a sticker on my car when there was a day old disc and a confirmation in the window, there would be some serious words........

followed by the bill to get the sticker off

when we picked my wifes car up, it was a saturday and it had been taxed on the saturday. we bought it in sheffield and went through the anpr on the m62. even though the copper could see the disc that was dated the same day, he was still a complete and utter.........

he even checked the disc to make sure it was real. the dvla computers had not updated since it was a saturday
  • Rugby RoseRugby Rose Posts: 13,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had the same problem last time OP. Had ordered it online two years in a row and had it in good time. Order this years 2 weeks in advance and it never turned up. Forgot all about it in fact because I took it off my 'to do' pile because I'd done it and assumed it would just come in the post. It wasn't until about 3 days after my disc had expired did I realise. I phoned them and they asked me to go an collect one from their office in Birmingham errr...no, I have no valid tax disc I'm driving illegally, so they put a duplicate in the post for me and that turned up a couple of days later. Next time I think I'll do it at the Post Office too.
    Forum Member
    digibod wrote: »
    lol, as much as i hate insurance and tax dodgers, if some trafic warden put a sticker on my car when there was a day old disc and a confirmation in the window, there would be some serious words........

followed by the bill to get the sticker off

when we picked my wifes car up, it was a saturday and it had been taxed on the saturday. we bought it in sheffield and went through the anpr on the m62. even though the copper could see the disc that was dated the same day, he was still a complete and utter.........

he even checked the disc to make sure it was real. the dvla computers had not updated since it was a saturday

are you real , or are you complaining about the coppers attitude , 2 different things :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    are you real , or are you complaining about the coppers attitude , 2 different things :eek:

i dont know what you mean?

i think sometimes the wrong people are victimised