Has anyone bought a Red DAB radio from Sainsburys

aussiewantsaps2aussiewantsaps2 Posts: 1,114
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Has anyone bought a Red DAB radio from Sainsburys and if so is it any good?
http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shoppingandservices/gifting/electricals/tv/15.htm?prevUrl=%2fsearch.htm%3fquery%3ddab%26x%3d0%26y%3d0
I have had an Asda one and 4 Acoustic Solutions from Argos and all had faults!!!

Comments

• Mr. XMr. X Posts: 4,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a RED from a couple of years ago and its reception on DAB isn't too brilliant. National multiplexes are fine, but local and regional ones make that annoying "bubbling" sound. The same multiplexes are fine on a Pure model in the same place.

The FM on the model I have is completely unusable; there's hiss even on the extremely strong signals from Radio 2 and the local station whose mast is down the road.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought a Roberts DAB radio a few years ago. The sound was terrible, the volume was either faint or LOUD but reception was OK. Buying that Roberts radio has put me off DAB completely.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Mr. X wrote: »
    I've got a RED from a couple of years ago and its reception on DAB isn't too brilliant. National multiplexes are fine, but local and regional ones make that annoying "bubbling" sound. The same multiplexes are fine on a Pure model in the same place.

The FM on the model I have is completely unusable; there's hiss even on the extremely strong signals from Radio 2 and the local station whose mast is down the road.
    I just bought a Red DAB radio with no instructions. Does anyone know how to store and clear presets on the thing???
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    I had the pure evoke 2, it was good sound with good reception but it broke after a year. Haven't bought another DAB since.
  • DXRulzDXRulz Posts: 4,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got a PURE Elan DX20 and it works fine all the time, it's up in my bedroom so i bet that helps with getting a decent signal :)
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    often is it Preset, up/down to required number, and preset again to store.

If preset buttons are individual then you simply hold down the button to store.
  • Dixie NormousDixie Normous Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    I have been put off from purchasing one due to negative feedback. I am still unconvinced.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I looked at the Red's from Sainsburys but thought the quality of them for the price was not worth it, so I have got a Roberts RD59 (takes 4 AA batteries) and a Pure One and a Pure DMX-20. I get the basic nationals from the two smaller ones and MXR from 30 miles away on the DMX.
    So very happy, and have bought DAB radios for others, wife likes Heart and other similar stations that we can't get here on FM, so prefers it. Sound quality is fine for us.
  • scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive had a few dab radios in my time, tried pure, roberts, sonys, panasonics and various others, as i got a few on loan from a store a friend owns and he asked me to try and test for a week or so.
    My opinion is
    cant beat a Pure for my money, and love the Bug, ok the on off is a bit annoying but epg, sd card, sound quality, etc and around the £60 online. bargain
    the roberts were just too warm and thick sounding, sony just didnt like the feel to them, and there were a few other points about the others style and sound.
    A friend had a red and it got returned as it died a week later.
  • Andy CarltonAndy Carlton Posts: 4,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You get what you pay for...and unknown brands should start alarm bells ringing instantly! Who 'ARE' Red? - never heard of them myself so I personally would not buy.

Supermarket brand electricals are usually made from a sweat-shop in China (and no disrespect to it's employees) but i would avoid at all costs if it is reliability you want. These products are sold cheap for one reason....they are naff!
  • Andy CarltonAndy Carlton Posts: 4,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nicolamc wrote: »
    I had the pure evoke 2, it was good sound with good reception but it broke after a year. Haven't bought another DAB since.

Pure were originally ' Videologic' (as most are aware of) and I have one of their original 'Videologic' seperates tuners - DRX-601E of which cost over £300 at the time...but only has average DAB reception and average to good sound quality. (rather 'thin' sounding IMO)

I have no idea why a lot of people on DS think that 'pure' is the finest of any DAB recievers becuse they are way over-priced for what they offer and the performance is less than average with just bog 'standard' sound quality.

Not long back I heard an all-in-one hi-fi system by 'Pure' and the audio quality for something with a £400+ price tag was nothing to get excited about...infact it was rather poor compared to other systems around the same price (and even cheaper)

'Pure' = only average radio reception and less than average audio quality and there is far better for cheaper out there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Pure Elan is excellent as is my Pure 702 tuner. Both have excellent reception and sound (especially the hi-fi tuner). I also have a Roberts Solar DAB which is almost, but not quite, as good as the two Pures, but a bedside Alba DAB radio/alarm sounds OK but would be useless if the BBC transmitter (which is all I am interested in for waking up to) wasn't close - so caution with own brand sets is advisable. Some own brand stuff can be quite good - but it's a bit random.
  • richie wildrichie wild Posts: 9,888
    Forum Member
    I have no idea why a lot of people on DS think that 'pure' is the finest of any DAB recievers becuse they are way over-priced for what they offer and the performance is less than average with just bog 'standard' sound quality.

'Pure' = only average radio reception and less than average audio quality and there is far better for cheaper out there.

i can understand that your old tuner isn't that great, but things have improved. i test lots of DAB radios and have found more recent Pure models (particularly the One and Move) to be exceptionally sensitive. time has moved on... and so have Pure!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    yes I have bought a Red DAB radio it is not so good.Have since bought a Grundig and that is a really crisp sound. The Red radio the power pack split and cannot seem to find a stockist.
  • Occ VisOcc Vis Posts: 915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a "Technica" from Tesco which is ok, nothing amazing though.

I bought a "Pure" as a Christmas present for someone a couple of years ago and it went down well.