three now announce where they have DC-HSPA

carguy143carguy143 Posts: 2,327
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Finally! Users of Three check this out to see if their faster network is in your area. Preston is listed :-)
http://blog.three.co.uk/2012/11/15/tthe-roll-out-of-ultrafast-on-three

Rik.

Comments

• matty1000kkmatty1000kk Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    I guess this list refers to towns/city's which have had most or all masts upgraded? I only ask because I've tried a few postcodes in Colchester and they are apparently ultra fast areas. I'm also pretty sure the mast I connect to near work is DC-HSDPA enabled as I've hit 20Mbps + on my iPad.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    40 % now then and up to 50% by 6 weeks time is impressive. It suggests that if they carry on at the same rate then by about May or June it'll be 100%, unless of course there is a LTE divert if and when they get more spectrum.
  • acoolwelshblokeacoolwelshbloke Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    carguy143 wrote: »
    Finally! Users of Three check this out to see if their faster network is in your area. Preston is listed :-)
    http://blog.three.co.uk/2012/11/15/tthe-roll-out-of-ultrafast-on-three

Rik.

Let's hope their coverage works better than the link you posted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's hope their coverage works better than the link you posted.

It had an extra T in the URL

http://blog.three.co.uk/2012/11/15/the-roll-out-of-ultrafast-on-three/
  • carguy143carguy143 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »

Yeah sorry about that. Unfortunately i cannot edit it now.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have doubts as to whether the places listed are all upgraded already...because Cambridge doesn't appear to have been!

In my experience, 3G speeds with Three in Cambridge are worse than O2 (although I still don't regret moving - better prices plus unlimited usage make up for the currently slower speeds), and none of the Cambridge postcodes I have tried come up positive for DC-HSDPA. Hell, last time I checked with Three's Twitter support (September) only one postcode I checked for Cambridge even had HSPA+.

Maybe the list includes places that will be upgraded by the end of the year, not just places already upgraded?
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Edinburgh certainly doesn't have it where i've tried. Both Three & EE.
  • Ross1874Ross1874 Posts: 1,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Edinburgh certainly doesn't have it where i've tried. Both Three & EE.

What speeds do you get on Three? Highest I can reach is 10MB in south Edinburgh
  • eyponeypon Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    Still can't get three signal in my house

living in aberdeen currently.
  • charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you get the super fast speeds with any 3G phone?

Also anyone in the know have any idea if Three plan to stock the Note 2 LTE version? I'm not bothered about 4G for now but would rather future proof myself before getting locked into a 24 month contract.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    anyone know if this will work with the s3? tried googleing but got conflicting results!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    dah07 wrote: »
    anyone know if this will work with the s3? tried googleing but got conflicting results!!

should do .....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member

should do there is no reason it shouldn't
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member

S3 is HSPA+ not DC-HSPA+. So you will be able to get up to 21mbps. The max i have got on the One X (also HSPA+) is 13mbps download.

The max on a DC-HSPA+ device i've got is 21mbps
  • lost boylost boy Posts: 1,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess this list refers to towns/city's which have had most or all masts upgraded? I only ask because I've tried a few postcodes in Colchester and they are apparently ultra fast areas. I'm also pretty sure the mast I connect to near work is DC-HSDPA enabled as I've hit 20Mbps + on my iPad.

BiB - that's my guess too. Although I've tried out a few postcodes of places that aren't on that list but do have DC, while the postcodes that I've tried for somewhere that is on that list say it's not there :confused: so make of that what you will.
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    S3 is HSPA+ not DC-HSPA+. So you will be able to get up to 21mbps. The max i have got on the One X (also HSPA+) is 13mbps download.

The max on a DC-HSPA+ device i've got is 21mbps

+1 - SGS3 has HSPA+ but does not have DC, although IIRC the SGS3 LTE has both.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    lost boy wrote: »

+1 - SGS3 has HSPA+ but does not have DC, although IIRC the SGS3 LTE has both.

Correct, so even though you'll see faster speeds on DC devices you'll still see fast speeds on H+ devices. At home i get around 4-10mbps. At work i get ridiculous speeds of 8mbps-13mbps. Travel in i get around 2-6mbps. On the iPad 3 which is DC-HSPA+ enabled i get around 14-20mbps all the time in DC-HSPA+ enabled areas. Haven't tested it myself in non enabled areas but my friend says he still gets around 12mbps.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    I have doubts as to whether the places listed are all upgraded already...because Cambridge doesn't appear to have been!

In my experience, 3G speeds with Three in Cambridge are worse than O2 (although I still don't regret moving - better prices plus unlimited usage make up for the currently slower speeds), and none of the Cambridge postcodes I have tried come up positive for DC-HSDPA. Hell, last time I checked with Three's Twitter support (September) only one postcode I checked for Cambridge even had HSPA+.

Maybe the list includes places that will be upgraded by the end of the year, not just places already upgraded?

I did a speed test today in an area I'd not tried before (CB2), and actually got over 10Mbps. The postcode checker though said it wasn't "Ultrafast", just like others I've checked, so I guess it was just HSPA+.

In CB1 I get less than 1Mbps, and in CB5 I get 3-4Mbps.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m82fXn6L7Ag

Here's a DC Youtube video of 3 with DC-HSDPA, not me just a Youtube channel I subscribe to.
  • matty1000kkmatty1000kk Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m82fXn6L7Ag

Here's a DC Youtube video of 3 with DC-HSDPA, not me just a Youtube channel I subscribe to.

4.66Mbps on 2G! Something is not right there. 11Mbps download does not mean he is on DC Mast. I would expect more then that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    4.66Mbps on 2G! Something is not right there. 11Mbps download does not mean he is on DC Mast. I would expect more then that.

Yeah the 2G is weird, I'm wondering if it's that custom rom that is displaying wrong or something. Edge can't do 4.66.

I wouldn't expect more than 11Mbps, that's about right for DC, I don't want to over-set people expectations, with many other customers using the site and taking into account other variable like distance, interference, signal quality 11 is about right for DC in the real world.

I don't think you'll get 11 on any other network at the moment excluding EE and 3. I haven't seen any really good O2 or Vodafone speed tests posted.
    Forum Member
    I don't think you'll get 11 on any other network at the moment excluding EE and 3. I haven't seen any really good O2 or Vodafone speed tests posted.

I intend to do a few tests with all the networks on with DC in Aberdeen, Glasgow, Edinburgh & London in various locations later this month. Will be interesting to see what O2 & Voda have.

Ross1874 wrote: »
    What speeds do you get on Three? Highest I can reach is 10MB in south Edinburgh

I'll upload a few soon. Not there just now.

eypon wrote: »

What area in Aberdeen are you located? I know parts of Garthdee have pretty shocking Three coverage.
    Have you used the Rootmetrics app?
    Forum Member
    I don't think the checker is that up to date i've checked about 40 postcodes that cover the whole of Edinburgh so unless they have it like just the airport or at the stores, something is not right
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Speeds are around 6mb down in Cove,south Aberdeen.Will be good to see 10+ once upgrade is done!
  • nigelbbnigelbb Posts: 1,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eypon wrote: »

Aren't the houses in Aberdeen all built from granite which is hard for 2100MHz 3G to penetrate?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    A lot of the older ones are granite but not houses built in the last 30 years or so.