Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    I agree. Didn't think it through -- seems crazy to plan to drive in London.

Yes I agree but public transport? Could understand a taxi. You'd think he'd be mobbed but maybe UK is more like Australia where we recognise an actor and nudge our companion to point him out but don't approach!
  • ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    Was just doing some Saturday morning surfing and found myself on a Twitter search for MC. Some fun stuff - a lot of mentions of Heavy Horsepower with about 50-50 loving it and making fun of it (lots of hamburger jokes). One person said MC should narrate everything (totally agree) and another mentioned Hunting Venus and said MC is a God (LOL!)

But the funny bit is that he apparently was In London for a few days. We saw the Twitter pic of him and we saw the pics of him seeing War Horse. But one guy tweeted on Tuesday that he was standing next to him in H & M Regent St looking at David Beckham underwear range (moving on from Calvin Klein?) and this was followed immediately by a young woman who said "Martin Clunes in Mac #celebspot #soho". Then yesterday, three different people spotted him in Waterloo Station, one said he was getting on a train to Exeter.

Maybe he and Phillipa had a nice Valentines Day outing to London? I guess he can't go anywhere without being spotted. Thought it funny that three different people tweeted about seeing him in the train station :)
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    Just looked again - it was 4 people who spotted him at the train station (all guys too!) and another person yesterday said "I saw Martin Clunes in London today!" and yet another this morning said, "Saw Martin Clunes yesterday".

No wonder he stays out of London!

I can't imagine being a celebrity and have people talking about where I've been, shopping for underwear, etc. :eek: I remember a guy tweeting about how he was standing next to MC at the urinal during a break at the awards show in Jan 2012. Sorry no pictures were provided.:D
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »
    I can't imagine being a celebrity and have people talking about where I've been, shopping for underwear, etc. :eek: I remember a guy tweeting about how he was standing next to MC at the urinal during a break at the awards show in Jan 2012. Sorry no pictures were provided.:D

Dang Connie! :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    Yes I agree but public transport? Could understand a taxi. You'd think he'd be mobbed but maybe UK is more like Australia where we recognise an actor and nudge our companion to point him out but don't approach!

You see all sorts on the tube and train. For example I once saw Sir Ian McKellan on the tube. Twas no big deal-he was just another passenger on a cold March day. I knew who he was and smiled at him and he smiled back. Everyone else in the carriage was too busy with their newspapers, books and such.

The only people who would get 'mobbed' on the tube/train are David Beckhams, George Clooneys, Justin Biebers and Madonnas of the world and they are generally too 'good' to use public transport anyway. There was a story about Jay-Z riding the subway in New York a couple of months ago and he talked to some old lady for a couple minutes and she didn't have a clue as to who he was.
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You see all sorts on the tube and train. For example I once saw Sir Ian McKellan on the tube. Twas no big deal-he was just another passenger on a cold March day. I knew who he was and smiled at him and he smiled back. Everyone else in the carriage was too busy with their newspapers, books and such.

The only people who would get 'mobbed' on the tube/train are David Beckhams, George Clooneys, Justin Biebers and Madonnas of the world and they are generally too 'good' to use public transport anyway. There was a story about Jay-Z riding the subway in New York a couple of months ago and he talked to some old lady for a couple minutes and she didn't have a clue as to who he was.

Neither do I...:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    Neither do I...:)

Neither did I until I googled him. :)
  • Eileen0103Eileen0103 Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    I've seen him in the cardigan when in Scotland for the Scottish Hotel Event, September 2011. I've read that he takes the train to London from Crewkerne.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some guy saw him shopping for underwear at HMV.

Good lord, I hope he bought something different to sleep in for Series 6! :cool::D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    Good lord, I hope he bought something different to sleep in for Series 6! :cool::D

I think him sleeping in underwear would be just fine. How about a fan poll?
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    . . .Looking at David Beckham underwear. . . .shopping for underwear at HMV.
    Hmmm--looking at new underwear--could this not foreshadow what we will see in S6?:D:D
    High-end underwear for DM - now can we drag him to the pajama department?;)
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »
    . . .Looking at David Beckham underwear. . . .shopping for underwear at HMV.
    Hmmm--looking at new underwear--could this not foreshadow what we will see in S6?:D:D
    High-end underwear for DM - now can we drag him to the pajama department?;)

Screw the pajamas. Just the David Beckham underwear will do nicely!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    I think him sleeping in underwear would be just fine. How about a fan poll?

I'm okay with that. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm okay with that. ;)

How about an MC in underwear/pyjamas calendar ?

But with the Doc's hair-cut ?

Just visited the web-site - how very stylish

Thanks to all those involved with this upgrade - must be such a lot of hard work

For which we are eternally grateful

Thank You All - just in time for Series 6 :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blue-Eyes wrote: »

Just visited the web-site - how very stylish

Thanks to all those involved with this upgrade - must be such a lot of hard work

For which we are eternally grateful

Thank You All - just in time for Series 6 :)

Thanks for pointing me back to http://www.docmartinonline.net/ and a big thank-you to DoctorRabies who has brought about this upgrade. (I hope she is still dropping in on us from time to time.)

One of the great new features is a special section on articles about Doc Martin and Martin Clunes from various online and press sources.

When browsing this section, I found again the 2012 LA Times interview with MC, which was quite a good one, I think, with more than usual meat in it.

I like his analogy of his and Louisa's relationship as a Venn diagram, with the main tension of their relationship being how much can be pulled into the overlap of the circles. Of course, now James Henry is one big piece of the overlap. And from time to time we get a glimpse of the similarity of some of their underlying values, as in the scene with the badger-burning Mrs. Oakwood. And of course they are both in careers of service. But what else?

Also in this article is his statement on Asberger's. I find it fascinating that Dominic Minghella says that he wrote the character with that in mind, but implicit, and MC says that he never thought of that at all, as he developed the character.

And he does say that he has never wanted ANY of his characters cured, but celebrated as they are. Interesting. So odds are that we won't see much character change as such in S6, but maybe different aspects of his character?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    Well NewPark, I don't check in ALL the time - but you never know... :cool:

Thanks for the feedback on the site - we've been working nonstop on it - even though it seems to be never ending! But have high hopes that it'll be great when it is completed. Loads of stuff planned for this year actually - it's about to get serious! :eek::D

Please find the new area for the fan poll - and there's also a chat box should anyone want to leave a shout out to the Doc Martin world!

http://www.docmartinonline.net/fan-stuff/

Anyway, more from me shortly. I'll certainly be around much more this year :)

Hope everyone is having a great 2013 - and welcome to all the new fans from around the world!

DR
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well NewPark, I don't check in ALL the time - but you never know... :cool:

Thanks for the feedback on the site - we've been working nonstop on it - even though it seems to be never ending! But have high hopes that it'll be great when it is completed. Loads of stuff planned for this year actually - it's about to get serious! :eek::D

Please find the new area for the fan poll - and there's also a chat box should anyone want to leave a shout out to the Doc Martin world!

http://www.docmartinonline.net/fan-stuff/

Anyway, more from me shortly. I'll certainly be around much more this year :)

Hope everyone is having a great 2013 - and welcome to all the new fans from around the world!

DR

Okay, how do we find the Buddha section? :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    robspace54 wrote: »
    I agree, but the Doc never made a list of things to do to get on with the villagers. Yet Morton has an odd analytical bent unlike Martin. There is something else too that gets me. She acts almost emotionless and that jars with being a wife with four kids. There must have been trauma in her life? Perhaps that will be revealed latter.

The difference between DI Morton and the previous female character - whose name escapes me - is so black and white. I found the first character annoying and distracting and I am still forming an opinion of Helen. She is in such contrast to LG, the other female lead, and to the rest of the DCI Banks cast so I think we are meant to be a bit unsure of her. The comments about trust coming from Banks were quite telling. Let's hope that the poker game does begin a thawing out.

I hadn't thought of it before but you are correct that her demeanor is odd for a wife and mother of 4 but the opening scenes of her overseeing the boys homework was very consistent with her crisp, no-nonsense attitude.

With DM beginning to film, perhaps we have seen the last of DI Morton? Wonder what their filming schedule is. Guess the last upcoming episode will tell us her fate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    The difference between DI Morton and the previous female character - whose name escapes me - is so black and white. I found the first character annoying and distracting and I am still forming an opinion of Helen. She is in such contrast to LG, the other female lead, and to the rest of the DCI Banks cast so I think we are meant to be a bit unsure of her. The comments about trust coming from Banks were quite telling. Let's hope that the poker game does begin a thawing out.

I hadn't thought of it before but you are correct that her demeanor is odd for a wife and mother of 4 but the opening scenes of her overseeing the boys homework was very consistent with her crisp, no-nonsense attitude.

With DM beginning to film, perhaps we have seen the last of DI Morton? Wonder what their filming schedule is. Guess the last upcoming episode will tell us her fate.

Annie Cabot. I hope it's not offensive to say that I have never seen a female character portrayed as so heavily pregnant.

I think the plan always was for Annie Cabot to return. Hope only good things happen to DI Morton.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And of course this episode includes the infamous button scene, which I put into one of my stories as a memory... :)

Rob

I LOVE the button scene!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Blue-Eyes wrote: »
    How about an MC in underwear/pyjamas calendar ?

But with the Doc's hair-cut ?

YES PLEASE.:p;)

I don't know if I mentioned this on here before, but I would love to have a sticker/magnet for my car that says Portwenn...here in the States they have them for dozens of places (Outer Banks, etc.). Wish the Doc Martin store sold something like that. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    I LOVE the button scene!

That scene is a masterpiece

Ought to appear in every drama course everywhere

Deserves an award all on its own...

I wonder how many takes it took ?
  • 777Eilidh777Eilidh Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    YES PLEASE.:p;)

I don't know if I mentioned this on here before, but I would love to have a sticker/magnet for my car that says Portwenn...here in the States they have them for dozens of places (Outer Banks, etc.). Wish the Doc Martin store sold something like that. :(

http://www.cafepress.com/+port-wenn-doc-martin+car-accessories
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To depart from the nether regions of underwear, ahem, how many of you think:

1) Mrs Tishell will be seen in S6?
    2) Louisa and Martin be married straight away in the new season?
    3) Martin will actually leave surgery in his past and stay as the GP of Portwenn?
    4) Pauline Lamb return to the village?
    5) And for that matter, will we see LG's mum or her dad back on the scene?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    To depart from the nether regions of underwear, ahem, how many of you think:

1) Mrs Tishell will be seen in S6?
    2) Louisa and Martin be married straight away in the new season?
    3) Martin will actually leave surgery in his past and stay as the GP of Portwenn?
    4) Pauline Lamb return to the village?
    5) And for that matter, will we see LG's mum or her dad back on the scene?

1. Perhaps in later episodes after she has been treated. The question also arises if she can continue being a Chemist-I am guessing her license to do so would be revoked. The Tishell's still own the shop so perhaps they might hire a new Chemist/manager and retire.

2. I think it would be a mistake. There are far too many issues left still to resolve. I am going to guess that if there is a marriage it takes place late in the series.

3. Bear in mind that I am the Iconoclast here so what I might truly think on this matter I will keep to myself to avoid stirring up the Hornet's nest. :eek:

Will he or won't he? That is the question and one of the many issues to resolve. Is he willing to basically give up his career, his hopes and dreams and live in a place he has repeatedly said he detests in order to stay with Louisa and James Henry? After the emotional shock of the kidnapping wears off his attitude toward this subject may change. I am going to guess that Aunt Ruth is going to play a major part in this question.

There is also the question of him being able to get out of his contract with Imperial, too. He might be obligated to take the position legally and I would imagine given the pressure on him from collegues (Parsons, Southwood, Edith and am sure others that are not seen/named) may ramp up if he tries to duck out of it seeing as they have invested alot in getting him to return to surgery. Many fanfic stories show alternatives where he can return to the operating theatre and still stay in Portwenn with Louisa. Personally I would like to see him do some surgery.

4. She just disappeared and they need to resolve her and Al's relationship one way or another IMHO. Maybe if there is a new Chemist it might be a woman who catches Al's eye. That would be one way to resolve it without a guest appeance by Katherine Parkinson.

5. Probably.

The one question you did not ask is if Edith rears her Medusa like head again.
This discussion has been closed.