Universal Job Match - Do NOT sign!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    tigragirl wrote: »
    That why from 1/3/13 everyone will have to sign up for it . Although everyone will have to sign up for it, they can not be forced to give jobcentre access to their records.
    Everyone needs to have access so they can apply for jobs on there, especially if jobcentre identifies a job and says you have to apply.

Where have you heard that deadline?. All the DWP itself keep reiterating when asked is that it is not mandatory to even sign up for UJM, never mind giving advisers access. My own JC advisers haven't even mentioned UJM at all to me.
    Forum Member
    Where have you heard that deadline?. All the DWP itself keep reiterating when asked is that it is not mandatory to even sign up for UJM, never mind giving advisers access. My own JC advisers haven't even mentioned UJM at all to me.

A quick Google check shows the 1st of March date to be bollocks.

There is currently NO date set for UJM to become mandatory. It seems to have stemmed from someone on another forum saying their adviser told them it will be mandatory from then, but it isn't true.

EDIT: In fact, that Google check seems to show it was someone here on DigitalSpy that was the culprit in another thread. :D

If anyone has any official documents (a press release, official letter or anything) that shows it is to be mandatory in three days feel free to provide a link.
  • NicolaClareNicolaClare Posts: 488
    Forum Member
    I'm going to ask on Friday for some more information about this Jobmatch, I'm not comfortable with it at all, lets see what they'll have to say then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    A quick Google check shows the 1st of March date to be bollocks.

There is currently NO date set for UJM to become mandatory. It seems to have stemmed from someone on another forum saying their adviser told them it will be mandatory from then, but it isn't true.

EDIT: In fact, that Google check seems to show it was someone here on DigitalSpy that was the culprit in another thread. :D

If anyone has any official documents (a press release, official letter or anything) that shows it is to be mandatory in three days feel free to provide a link.

I have also heard it is going to be mandatory from monday but i dont know what to believe.
    I do know that on sunday the UJM site is closing down for a long time for maintenance. Dont like the sound of that.

Anyway you will still not have to give them access yo your account because of european rules regarding cookies so i wouldnt worry to much.

By the time all this gets going the Tories will be out of power anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Yes that is the official line: UJM is being made "mandatory" from March 4th
    This link offers a draft template letter to to question any Jobseeker’s Direction

http://consent.me.uk/2013/02/26/mandatory/

DO NOT SIGN. Beat the Bullingdon Club bullies
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    Good old job seekers, doing all they can not to get a job.

Free money anyone?

Well done, you proved you well and truly have no idea. :)

Is there some trend where some people who are comfortably employed need to tar all jobseekers with the same brush to feel better about themselves for some reasom?
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Sun_Lies wrote: »
    This link offers a draft template letter to to question any Jobseeker’s Direction

Oh dear.

Signed on today & was told UJM was mandatory from Monday - fair enough, they know I'm registered.
    Then went on to say allowing access was also mandatory (I corrected them!) and was initially asked for my Government Gateway number again - I think this is just pure laziness on their part as they can simply look you up using your NI Number.
  • terry45terry45 Posts: 2,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sun_Lies wrote: »

Another new account ??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    Oh dear.

Signed on today & was told UJM was mandatory from Monday - fair enough, they know I'm registered.
    Then went on to say allowing access was also mandatory (I corrected them!) and was initially asked for my Government Gateway number again - I think this is just pure laziness on their part as they can simply look you up using your NI Number.

Never give them your gateway number. It is yours alone and from that gateway id you can change your driving license and passport so if they ask you for it say no no no.
    Forum Member
    ...and just to make it worse, it seems the proposals to make claimants spend a mandatory 35 hours a week jobsearching is moving forward too:

http://consent.me.uk/2013/02/15/thirtyfive/
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...and just to make it worse, it seems the proposals to make claimants spend a mandatory 35 hours a week jobsearching is moving forward too:

I would love to know how that is going to work, in reality.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The more time you spend looking for work, the more chance of finding work.
  • morskimorski Posts: 124
    Forum Member

It's going to be interesting how they are going to enforce this, just imagine in a ideal JCP world where everyone that claimed JSA had internet access and then spent 35 Hours per week searching for and applying for jobs on the Universal Jobmatch website!!The site would probably crash on the first day this became compulsory.

In a not quite so ideal world, not everyone has internet access. Best of luck trying to get into a library to use the computers around here for 35 hours a week. Everytime I visit the library (not for computers) the computers are always fully occupied and that's before this has been introduced. So that leaves people to search for jobs by other means I suppose. Can't see how the JCP are going to be able to prove if people have satisfied this requirement or not?
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    terry45 wrote: »
    The more time you spend looking for work, the more chance of finding work.

you meant the more you look on sites, the more you realise it's the SAME ONES over and over again :rolleyes:

"...and just to make it worse, it seems the proposals to make claimants spend a mandatory 35 hours a week jobsearching is moving forward too!"

this is all about you getting out to the WORK PROGRAMME for 35 hours a week!
    Forum Member
    Charnham wrote: »

Indeed.

Those with internet access at home are going to be expected to spend many hours at home just clicking through UJM I presume, as UJM is this government preferred site for jobsearch. I presume that the site is being changed to allow other jobsearch activity to be logged on it. It has to be, I don't use UJM as it is currently filled with spam and is bloody awful to use. I prefer Jobsite, Indeed and Jobserve so if UJM is to be the preferred site and is to be mandatory then it has to allow details from other sites to be added.

But then there's another problem, most of the big sites don't update with new jobs every single day. Most add new jobs every few days, or even once a week.

Ok so one would be fully expected to get out and about seeking work. Between my reduction in LHA and the coming Council Tax changes I am going to be losing over £15 a week from my £71. It's already a struggle to pay the bills, so much so that my beloved wee dog recently found herself handed in to the Dog's Trust as I couldn't afford to keep her. If I am going to have to do a full 35 hours week jobsearching much of that time will have to be spent heading round Wakefield, Leeds, Barnsley etc. But that costs money, whose going to pay for my bus fares as at nearly a fiver a day or more, I most certainly cannot afford it?.

In fact, with the coming changes to CT benefits I am seriously rethinking whether or not I can afford my phone and broadband line. If I end up having to cancel where do I go?. My own local library has just closed it's door before Christmas, but even before they closed they charged £1 an hour for internet access and, rather bizarrely, most of the major jobsearch sites were blocked anyway. OK, so it's an internet cafe. But again they charge per hour, and wont be happy at me sitting there for several hours a day hogging one of their computers. Plus there's the issue of those bus fares again. Maybe the Job Centre is the place to go. Maybe not though, they have two computers for public use so again wont be happy at me hogging one for several hours, and once again, bus fares are a problem.

I'm with the Work Programme, so I could pop in there everyday, but there comes that problem with affording the bus fares again. They refund your bus fare ONLY for the day of your mandatory appointment, they will not refund bus fares if you visit at other times to use their computers. And they have only four computers in the centre of the room for us to use, would they be happy at me hogging them for up to 7 hours a day?. I doubt it.
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member

It's going to work by some bright spark creating an app that makes it look like you're browsing your UJM account 24/7 :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed.

Those with internet access at home are going to be expected to spend many hours at home just clicking through UJM I presume, as UJM is this government preferred site for jobsearch.
    but that simply is not possible.

Your looking at 5 hours a days (assuming you do it 7 days a week) and there simply is not enough new jobs to spend that long daily on UJM, even if you factor in a few other websites, you still wont make anything close to 5 hours.

That said, if you find a job to apply for, and it requires a long application form, then yeah you could spend 2 hours doing that, but that is once or twice a week, not every day.

The only way this can be made to work, is for the Job Centre to totally ignore it, anyone who does not allow the Job Centre access to there UJM site, cant be checked up on, to that level anyways.

It is utterly unworkable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    you meant the more you look on sites, the more you realise it's the SAME ONES over and over again :rolleyes:

"...and just to make it worse, it seems the proposals to make claimants spend a mandatory 35 hours a week jobsearching is moving forward too!"

this is all about you getting out to the WORK PROGRAMME for 35 hours a week!

If you are restricting yourself to just searching on the internet then it shows you have no real intention of finding work. There are plenty of other options.

All future governments are going to have to implement such measures.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's got SOD ALL to do with searching online for jobs on anywhere
    ALL TO DO with sending you every day to your WORK PLACEMENT centre!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you are restricting yourself to just searching on the internet then it shows you have no real intention of finding work. There are plenty of other options.

All future governments are going to have to implement such measures.
    so spend money going around industrial estate, or high street (yeah ok the later is an utter waste of time), JSA is set at the legal amount you need to live*, not legal amount you need to live, and a weeks worth of bus fairs.

You can only go around each industrial estate once a month anyways. Agency's wont want you hanging around all day either.

* that legal amount, being reduced when benefits only rise by 1%, instead of the official inflation rate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so spend money going around industrial estate, or high street (yeah ok the later is an utter waste of time), JSA is set at the legal amount you need to live*, not legal amount you need to live, and a weeks worth of bus fairs.

You can only go around each industrial estate once a month anyways. Agency's wont want you hanging around all day either.

* that legal amount, being reduced when benefits only rise by 1%, instead of the official inflation rate.[/QUOTE

Shirkers will always an excuse.
  • tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    krok wrote: »
    I have also heard it is going to be mandatory from monday but i dont know what to believe.
    I do know that on sunday the UJM site is closing down for a long time for maintenance. Dont like the sound of that.

Anyway you will still not have to give them access yo your account because of european rules regarding cookies so i wouldnt worry to much.

By the time all this gets going the Tories will be out of power anyway.

Just looking now and it looks like Monday not tomorrow. UJM down Sunday so could well be true
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

* that legal amount, being reduced when benefits only rise by 1%, instead of the official inflation rate.[/QUOTE

Shirkers will always an excuse.
    go on then, you run a small business on an out of town industrial estate. You have not advertised a job, and are not looking to recruit in the foreseeable, how many times do you need to see a random person, looking for a generic job? once a month, once a week? remember that this person may be one of many, calling into your reception once a week.

Meanwhile back in reality, and looking at hard numbers, it would cost me £7.20 (a day) to get to any of the industrial estates in Peterborough, and actually alot of them have a poor bus service.

Out of £71s a week, how many days can I afford to go around the various industrial estates?
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    it's got SOD ALL to do with searching online for jobs on anywhere
    ALL TO DO with sending you every day to your WORK PLACEMENT centre!

This used to happen on New Deal, and you would sit in some pokey room at a table with nothing to do allday because you couldn't get on a computer because they would all be full.
  • ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live in Hull and the local paper here, The Hull Daily Mail did a section which had about 1000 jobs listed. They were working in partnership with the job centre to produce this.

Sounds great, right?

Only thing is you need to join the Universal Job Match site to apply for the jobs.
This discussion has been closed.