EA drops online passes for used games

blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,123
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22553003

Electronic Arts is discontinuing a controversial program that stifled trade in second-hand games.

The Online Pass program locked many titles meaning second-hand games could only be played if a person also bought a code from EA to unlock the title.

The company said it had decided to end the program partly because players did not like it.

Surprised to see this as I thought the trend was very much in the other direction. Does this mean that if the PS4/Xbox 720 do require constant internet access that at least we won't see games locked to a specific user?

Makes sense to me - one copy of the game should equal one user at a time, not one user overall.

Comments

• gothergother Posts: 14,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Should never of been in place in the first place.
    But anyway well done to EA for seeing the error of their ways.

Yes i'm giving EA some praise. *watches people faint in shock*
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No need for online passes when the console blocks used games and is always-online!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They'll probably be back once the new generation of consoles is established.

Let's not praise EA for handing you a towel after urinating all over you, the old online passes still exist (you still smell of urine).
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    Should never of been in place in the first place.
    But anyway well done to EA for seeing the error of their ways.

Yes i'm giving EA some praise. *watches people faint in shock*

HAVE

(it just annoys me)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmuk wrote: »
    They'll probably be back once the new generation of consoles is established.

Let's not praise EA for handing you a towel after urinating all over you, the old online passes still exist (you still smell of urine).

Nice image, but yes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HAVE

(it just annoys me)
    Yeah, gother you should of known better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HAVE

(it just annoys me)
    Nice image, but yes.

You don't need to say anything else i think your two posts sum up your feelings on EA and online passes you sir are better than Shakespeare with words

In my opinion this is good thing and a great move by EA, hell it's even a good thing for these forums people will have one less reason to hate on EA all the time

Am i right in thinking that EA didn't even start the online pass system though and it was just another let's blame EA for everything because its cooler/easier to hate on them
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good news for now, although it does make me a little worried about what might be introduced next gen with all the rumours we have floating around about always on and blocking used games.
    HAVE

(it just annoys me)

Just to be pedantic 'HAVE' would also be wrong, it should be 'have' in lower case :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    Good news for now, although it does make me a little worried about what might be introduced next gen with all the rumours we have floating around about always on and blocking used games.

Just to be pedantic 'HAVE' would also be wrong, it should be 'have' in lower case :D

Haven't Sony already denied both of those appearing on the PS4? and with EA being a multiplatform company the simple solution is, if the New Xbox requires either then just buy a PS4 instead, it really is a none issue when there might be only one company doing it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    Haven't Sony already denied both of those appearing on the PS4? and with EA being a multiplatform company the simple solution is, if the New Xbox requires either then just buy a PS4 instead, it really is a none issue when there might be only one company doing it

They have said thing which infer they wont be implementing a those systems, but maybe there is a third system in place to disrupt the used market. The rumours of used games been blocked / limited are quite loud at the moment so I wont really believe we are returning to the old system until I actually see the next gen systems in the real world.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »

Damn you :o;)

I think there will be some kind of blocking system put in place on a wide scale at some point. I think it's just a matter of when and not if.
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    I think there will be some kind of blocking system put in place on a wide scale at some point. I think it's just a matter of when and not if.

I'm quite cynical, but I'm not sure there will be, at least not yet. They might move to download only though, which would have a similar effect.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are they patching current games to do away with them
  • SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have just done this to open up more people to micro transactions and DLC. Good guy EA? HA not chance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    I'm quite cynical, but I'm not sure there will be, at least not yet. They might move to download only though, which would have a similar effect.

Yep
    They have just done this to open up more people to micro transactions and DLC. Good guy EA? HA not chance.

What? EA do something to make more money?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HAVE

(it just annoys me)

Oh foxtrot oscar you:p. I never knew it was against the law to make one mistake.:p

(it just annoys me)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chopoff wrote: »
    Yeah, gother you should of known better.

*Slaps wrist* naughty Gother. :o:p
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've probably got something even more diabolical planned. Next gen is gonna be the big one for the devs
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have they dropped it for existing games. Ie fifa 12/13
  • ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The worst thing that could happen on the next gen consoles is 'one game/one profile'. Jeez that would kill gaming imo. Although I do not know how this could be put in place. I noticed that MS had done away with the 'family gold' so like me, if u have a family of gamer's, each now requires a separate gold account but what if that was extended to games. each account must own a copy of the game in order to play it. That would damage gaming imho.
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    gillyallan wrote: »
    Are they patching current games to do away with them

Good question. I doubt it somehow.
    The worst thing that could happen on the next gen consoles is 'one game/one profile'. Jeez that would kill gaming imo. Although I do not know how this could be put in place. I noticed that MS had done away with the 'family gold' so like me, if u have a family of gamer's, each now requires a separate gold account but what if that was extended to games. each account must own a copy of the game in order to play it. That would damage gaming imho.

I can't see them doing that, not immediately anyway. As I said though, I can see them moving to download only delivery, which would make it trivial to do the sort of thing you are suggesting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They said all future games
  • suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now we just need codemasters to follow suit. I was going to get dirt 3 but with it requiring a pass I did not bother as its more than 1 player in the house who plays the same games.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently EA have started phasing out the online passes on existing games now. The first batch are a bunch of 360 games including Battlefield BC2, Medal of Honor and Shift 2. They have also removed the fee for add-on content packaged with new games like Dragon Ages' Stone Prisoner.

Hopefully this extends to all their games in the future and to other platforms.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder if theyll do fifa 12