Left arm feels heavy and tingly

VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,863
Forum Member
I have suffered from panic attacks in the past, but my left hand started tingling, and then felt slight numb dull ache - by then I convinced myself "HEART ATTACK!!" then panicked and nearly left for hospital. Then calmed down but my left arm feels heavy and not "right".
Should I go to hospital? I'm 34 male, slightly overweight.

Comments

• GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :( AS above.Get on the phone.Left arm is where my dad felt the pain during his heart attack.Probably nothing,but don't go to bed until you've phoned them.
  • stesupforitstesupforit Posts: 4,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    100 percent with the above. If in doubt, call the experts. Better safe than sorry. Get well soon.
  • CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had this in the summer. Apparently it is just one of the, many, symptoms of a panic attack.

Most people think they are having a Heart Attack when they have a severe panic attack - all the symptoms are there. I was really scared when I had mine (3 in 2 days) as I couldn't breath properly, had a heavy left arm with pain up my neck, pins and needles in my face and chest pains.

However, NHS24 (who were extremely helpful) were convinced I wasn't going to die, however the doctor that came out told us to "never phone again" as it was a waste of his time! Surely being woken up at 1am with these symptoms is cause for slight worry!?
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CoolboyA wrote: »
    I had this in the summer. Apparently it is just one of the, many, symptoms of a panic attack.

Most people think they are having a Heart Attack when they have a severe panic attack - all the symptoms are there. I was really scared when I had mine (3 in 2 days) as I couldn't breath properly, had a heavy left arm with pain up my neck, pins and needles in my face and chest pains.

However, NHS24 (who were extremely helpful) were convinced I wasn't going to die, however the doctor that came out told us to "never phone again" as it was a waste of his time! Surely being woken up at 1am with these symptoms is cause for slight worry!?

:eek: You disturbed the poor docs beauty sleep.How dare you!.;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suffered panic attacks for a couple of years so i know exactly how you are feeling. It really is just a panic attack. Nothing i will say will convince you otherwise - i know i was never convinced. I once took myself to the doctors whilst having a panic attack. My blood pressure was 190/180 and i almost passed out on the receptionist. They did an ECG on me whilst i was still panicking and guess what.... completely normal reading! I suffered all of the usual symptoms - hyperventilating, chest tightening, cold and numb chest, tingling fingers and arms, jelly-legs, shaking, sweating, tingling lips and a feeling of impending doom. Medical books say this is a heart attack - it's also the exact symptoms of a panic attack. Hard to tell the difference when you are suffering with it. You knid of convice yourself you are going to die so it makes those feelings and symptoms stronger.

I say check with the doctors but do it only for your own peace of mind - you'll be fine! :) Take it from an ex-sufferer (they just went away after a couple of years).
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Acidomduso wrote: »
    I suffered panic attacks for a couple of years so i know exactly how you are feeling. It really is just a panic attack. Nothing i will say will convince you otherwise - i know i was never convinced. I once took myself to the doctors whilst having a panic attack. My blood pressure was 190/180 and i almost passed out on the receptionist. They did an ECG on me whilst i was still panicking and guess what.... completely normal reading! I suffered all of the usual symptoms - hyperventilating, chest tightening, cold and numb chest, tingling fingers and arms, jelly-legs, shaking, sweating, tingling lips and a feeling of impending doom. Medical books say this is a heart attack - it's also the exact symptoms of a panic attack. Hard to tell the difference when you are suffering with it. You knid of convice yourself you are going to die so it makes those feelings and symptoms stronger.

I say check with the doctors but do it only for your own peace of mind - you'll be fine! :) Take it from an ex-sufferer (they just went away after a couple of years).

I had the same thing quite recently. Phoned the Docs, but they told me to call for an ambulance. Went to hospital and basically was told to wait and calm down for 5 hours, then they sent me home.
  • ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member

But surely it is better to be safe than to die.

I have trapped nerves in my lower arms and shit circulation which means I sometimes have numbness in lower arms/hands. But it could be something else if you haven't had it before and don't know what it is.

I don't see how anyone should be deterred from calling even if it turns out to be a false alarm.
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,863
    Forum Member
    Still alive!! I feel silly now, lol. It was another panic attack as I feel fine now. It was really scary as I haven't one like that for about 10 years - managed to calm myself down....
    I don't quite see the point in writing things on here when you have/don't have health scares...surely you should ring NHS direct!! Everytime I've rung them in the past they always told me to go to hospital!! I guess this is to cover themselves.
    Thanks for advice though people
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe the one difference between a heart attack and panic attack that you can notice yourself, is that with a heart attack, it would hurt while you are exhaling...

A paramedic told me that once.

By the way, have you guys got a hypervent bag? The same paramedic gave me one, it's great, whenever I feel a panic coming on, I whip it out, and I'm soon sorted out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 484
    Forum Member

What an utter d**khead :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    VoodooChic wrote: »
    Still alive!! I feel silly now, lol. It was another panic attack as I feel fine now. It was really scary as I haven't one like that for about 10 years - managed to calm myself down....
    I don't quite see the point in writing things on here when you have/don't have health scares...surely you should ring NHS direct!! Everytime I've rung them in the past they always told me to go to hospital!! I guess this is to cover themselves.
    Thanks for advice though people

Glad you're feeling better.