I-player not showing full functionality on Android Tablet

Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
Forum Member
Hi.

I have bought an Android tablet (Gemini Joy Tab) for Xmas. It runs Android 4.03 and Ice Cream Sandwich OS.

I can get i-player on it but it looks like basic functionality. There is no option to view TV live or listen to the radio live. The i-player is on the BBC mobile App from what I can make out. I have a selection of featured programmes listed but no comprehensive listing of what's been on and the option to watch LIVE like I can on iplayer on my laptop.

I don't want to download a programme to watch later as I know this isn't available on Android, but just watch live TV and be able to catch up on what I've missed during the day.

Any ideas? I'm new to this. I have the Media player app and the i-player app. Is there another add on I need so I can watch TV on my tablet 'LIVE'?

Thanks.

PS Have posted this in another forum as I wasn't sure which one was most relevant. Bit of both forums I think. :)

Comments

• artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Download TVCatchup for live TV. You get the Freeview channels.
  • paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    Whty don't you change your browser setting to request desktop site and watch it through the BBC website its what I do
  • Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    artnada wrote: »
    Download TVCatchup for live TV. You get the Freeview channels.

I downloaded and tried that last night but it just kept throwing me out of the app when I went to watch anything and I got a message that 'Playback for XXX had finished' even though it hadn't . I'll add it again now and see what happens.

If it doesn't work, I might return the tablet and try something else. This was one of the reasons I bought it, to watch TV in bed. :)

EDIT: yes tried it again, just throws me out of the Catch Up app and to the app screen when I try to play anything.
    Forum Member
    paul2307 wrote: »
    Whty don't you change your browser setting to request desktop site and watch it through the BBC website its what I do

Not sure how to do that on this. Thanks for the tip. Will try and find out.
    Forum Member
    Not sure how to do that on this. Thanks for the tip. Will try and find out.

On my tablet you open the browser and in the top right hand corner you should see three veritcal dots click on them and a tab should drop down , change it there

Just a thought you do have flash player installed ?
    Forum Member
    paul2307 wrote: »
    On my tablet you open the browser and in the top right hand corner you should see three veritcal dots click on them and a tab should drop down , change it there

Just a thought you do have flash player installed ?

Interesting you should mention that. I've got a Flash Player settings icon but I can't see Flash Player. I can play 'recommended' vids on i-player so I suppose they need Flash? When I click on the setting icon I just get a white screen. Went to the app store and can't see Flash player there? It must be surely...somewhere.

Flash is no longer supported, so I've read.
    Forum Member
    Interesting you should mention that. I've got a Flash Player settings icon but I can't see Flash Player. I can play 'recommended' vids on i-player so I suppose they need Flash? When I click on the setting icon I just get a white screen. Went to the app store and can't see Flash player there? It must be surely...somewhere.

Flash is no longer supported, so I've read.

Only from Jelly Bean it should still be available for ICS
  • CuBz90CuBz90 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's what I did...
    Download XBMC from Play store. Then download the Iplayer add on. Much better iplayer that includes live channels.