Use camcorder as webcam... with a different mic

Hi,
Please can somebody help me figure this out.

I'm trying to use a camcorder to record live video straight to a computer hard drive... but with an external Blue Snowball microphone to record the sound. It's to record somebody playing music, so the microphone is better quality than the built in mic in the camcorder.

With my current video editing software the sound is automatically recorded from the camcorder and there's no options to disable the mic, or use a different one.

For reference, I'm using one of the old Sony Digital 8 camcorders that connects through Firewire.

Does anybody know if this problem would be resolved by using one of the new smaller camcorders?

Or is the only way to do this by using a webcam to get the images, and the microphone to get the sound?

One of the other things I wanted to do was record live music shows, with the camcorder getting the images and a microphone the sound, with both going into a laptop separately.

Any help much appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Rick_D wrote: »
    Hi,
    Please can somebody help me figure this out.

I'm trying to use a camcorder to record live video straight to a computer hard drive... but with an external Blue Snowball microphone to record the sound. It's to record somebody playing music, so the microphone is better quality than the built in mic in the camcorder.

With my current video editing software the sound is automatically recorded from the camcorder and there's no options to disable the mic, or use a different one.

For reference, I'm using one of the old Sony Digital 8 camcorders that connects through Firewire.

Does anybody know if this problem would be resolved by using one of the new smaller camcorders?

Or is the only way to do this by using a webcam to get the images, and the microphone to get the sound?

One of the other things I wanted to do was record live music shows, with the camcorder getting the images and a microphone the sound, with both going into a laptop separately.

Any help much appreciated. Thanks!

Can't you just use a different audio app to record the sound direct from the mic and dub it over the video in the video editing app?

You'd need to sync it up but that shouldn't be a problem. I assume you can't use the mic plugged into the camcorder as an external mic?
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does the camcorder have an external mic socket on it? If so then you could plug a microphone into that to override the built in one. Obviously no use with the Blue Snowball device as that is USB. Means buying another mic but if there is a socket on the camcorder that would be the easiest solution.

The alternative is searching for some alternative editing software that allows you to use a separate audio source to the camera's built in mic.