Buster Comic

***KEL******KEL*** Posts: 520
Forum Member
✭✭
Anyone remember this .... Had sooo many gd strips. The winners, Its a nice life, Ivor Lott and Tony Broke etc .... I had such good memorys of Buster comic. I grew up reading It ....

Comments

• JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Here's a very comprehensive website about it: http://www.bustercomic.co.uk/
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I started getting Buster late 1975/early 1976, when Jackpot comic merged with it. I remember Faceache, who could contort his face into grotesque shapes-he called it 'scrunging'-and The Leopard of Lime Street, which was Spiderman with a younger English lad, who had leopard-like powers.

I think it had a strip with a boy who looks after shipwrecked humanoid aliens, who were only a few inches high, in his bedroom. I can't recall what that story was called, though.

ETA, just found out the last strip was Pete's Pocket Army (see link).

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/p/pockarmy.htm
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    ***KEL*** wrote: »
    Anyone remember this .... Had sooo many gd strips. The winners, Its a nice life, Ivor Lott and Tony Broke etc .... I had such good memorys of Buster comic. I grew up reading It ....

Lets see now---
    Jaws-Gums, Jabberjaw, MisterJaw? A possible cash in on the Jaws, franchise?
    anyway check this out..
    WWW.TOONHOUND.COM.
  • ***KEL******KEL*** Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeaaa :) glad some people remember it. My mates dont. I absolutely loved it and still do. Shame comics like that dont get appreciated these days
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    motsy wrote: »
    Lets see now---
    Jaws-Gums
    WWW.TOONHOUND.COM.

I think that was in Monster Fun originally, and was one of the strips that merged with Buster, when Monster Fun ceased production. Viz's Pathetic Sharks was just another version of that.
  • SamMcKSamMcK Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have/had a lot of the late 70's/80's Buster Comics as well as Whizzer and Chips, I'm not sure which one I preferred though, which one had The Bumpkin Billionaires and Odd Ball in?
  • ***KEL******KEL*** Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamMcK wrote: »
    I have/had a lot of the late 70's/80's Buster Comics as well as Whizzer and Chips, I'm not sure which one I preferred though, which one had The Bumpkin Billionaires and Odd Ball in?

Oh i loved them ... Not sure though what one they were in! Maybe whizzer and chips. They were all so good to read :)
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,863
    Forum Member

Odd-Ball - Whizzer & Chips
    Bumpkins - Whoopee then merged with W&C

Both strips were "Whizz-Kids" as was I! haha. I have a huge fondess for the IPC/DC Thompson comics during the height of my fandom 1982-1987 - then they all went rubbish - or maybe I outgrew them!
    I still have most of them in the attic!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I got the Buster every week as a nipper and would sit down and read it cover to cover which probably took about half an hour or more.

The current Beano which my kids occasionally buy takes about five minutes to read cover to cover, it’s just adverts and barely readable strips with about six panels per page.

No wonder kids have lost interest in comics:(

r.i.p. the British comics industry :cry:
    Forum Member
    Odd Ball survived into Buster's final issue in 2000, W&C having merged with it in 1990.

Six panels a page? That's an exaggeration, it's usually double that. I know you used to get 20 panels to a page though. Beano is the last survivor of the traditional comics. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member

Bumpkin Billionaires=WHOOPIE and Odd Ball=Whizzer and Chips.
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Topper was a good comic as well, also the Beezer.

I used to get the monthly comic books as well, and the summer specials.

Good times
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Topper was a good comic as well, also the Beezer.

I used to get the monthly comic books as well, and the summer specials.

Good times

I loved Danny's Tranny, in Topper, and Numskulls and Blubba, in the Beezer.
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved Danny's Tranny, in Topper, and Numskulls and Blubba, in the Beezer.

I remember Danny's Tranny - Numbskulls was always a favourite of mine.

I think I still have some annuals knocking about in a box in a cupboard somewhere.
  • frightleverfrightlever Posts: 1,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Danny's Tranny sounds like it is straight out of Viz, but it does ring a bell. I used to read all those old comics in the 70s. Monster Fun was my absolute favourite.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Danny's Tranny sounds like it is straight out of Viz, but it does ring a bell. I used to read all those old comics in the 70s. Monster Fun was my absolute favourite.

Danny's Tranny wasn't about a transgender person, as it would be in Viz, but about a boy with a radio that could send out invisible waves that would make you grow, shrink or become lighter-than-air.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Memories of Buster - them changing the Buster artist and me not liking the new one and the Leopard from Lime Street :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    Memories of Buster - them changing the Buster artist and me not liking the new one and the Leopard from Lime Street :)

Their version of Spiderman. I liked that, too. I think the Beano had a similar character, called Cat Boy, or something. He was in the 1972 annual that I had.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They also had a multi-issue black and white series involving a whole bunch of mechanic dinosaurs reeking havoc after going all doolalee (for some reason)
    Forum Member
    Their version of Spiderman. I liked that, too. I think the Beano had a similar character, called Cat Boy, or something. He was in the 1972 annual that I had.
    Billy the Cat. He had a cousin called Katie. They're in quite a few annuals from the last ten years, and originally appeared from 1967 to 1974.
  • DeskDesk Posts: 335
    Forum Member
    I loved Jackpot as a kid, and find it hard to believe that it only ran three years before merging with Buster.

It seemed to run for years and years, but I guess our perceptions of time are very different when we're young.

It's a pity you can't get comics like Buster, Jackpot and Whizzer and Chips digitally, so they could be revisited on an iPad.

Desk
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Desk wrote: »
    I loved Jackpot as a kid

Ah yes. The title character, Jack Pot, was a boy with a winning streak for money. There was a take-off of the Good Life TV series, and their own version of Popeye, with a boy who became powerful when he ate special beans. Also Little and Large Lenny, about a boy who could grow or shrink at will-and a rather surreal strip featuring two boys being flown about in a giant flying wellington boot by an eccentric old inventor, who flew to various strange fairy-tale type lands where they got into various bizarre escapades.
  • ThisOddKidThisOddKid Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Desk wrote: »

It's a pity you can't get comics like Buster, Jackpot and Whizzer and Chips digitally, so they could be revisited on an iPad.

Desk

That would be incredible. I know there's an online movement where people scan old Beano and Dandy comics, so maybe they would do it for Buster.

Egmont should bring it back as a monthly digital publication and see what the reaction is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can remember going to my local newspaper shop and buying Buster, it was really good. I recall the comic being sold as "Buster (son of Andy Capp)" and although the comic was never drawn by Reg Smyth it often had Andy in the story line if only just bits of him as the stories were done from his son's point of view. I do remeber in one story we got a full drawing of Andy (I always read Andy Capp in the Daily Mirror) but it was a bad atempt at drawing him.
    Forum Member
    ^Those are very early issues you're talking about, the Son of Andy Capp thing didn't last long. Andy simply stopped appearing, but his wife Flo (referred to as Mum, of course) did appear often. Of course, Andy Capp is still published, but Buster has to my knowledge NEVER been mentioned.