The Descent

MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I haven't seen this for a while and had forgotten how utterly amazing it is. An intensely claustrophobic chiller that never let's go once the action kicks in. Incredibly gruesome with some real "eeew" moments.

The setting and timing today couldn't have been better. I watched it on crystal clear Blu-ray with a friend who had never seen it before, his home entertainment set-up is great and the sound was cranked way up. The daylight outside fell just as the girls went down the cavern - apart from the tv we were in total darkness, atmosphere-tastic!!!

Don't think I've enjoyed a film "at home" this much for ages.

Absolutely awesome!!!!

Comments

• SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love this film, there's a fantastic build-up! I actually cared for all of the characters, even Juno!
  • ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't that impressed on first viewing. It literally seemed a bit too dark for one thing! However, having watched it subsequently, I have come to appreciate it more. It is actually quite a clever movie and can work on a number of different levels.
  • MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zeus wrote: »
    I wasn't that impressed on first viewing. It literally seemed a bit too dark for one thing! However, having watched it subsequently, I have come to appreciate it more. It is actually quite a clever movie and can work on a number of different levels.

Yeah, I remember the DVD being very dark but the blu-ray is amazing - top PQ,
  • wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MissDexter wrote: »
    Yeah, I remember the DVD being very dark but the blu-ray is amazing - top PQ,

Really? I don't think its that great a transfer tbh. Obviously its better than the DVD and I suspect its not really the fault of the people doing the transfer (rather a symptom of it being a low budget indie so they have been working with what they have rather than working with the perfect tool for the job )
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    I think it's a great film, in the sense that I'm on edge throughout.

I have no idea why people go caving or pot holing. I can't see the appeal at all. Being all underground and everything. :confused:

I still haven't braved the Chunnel.:o
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kine wrote: »
    I have no idea why people go caving or pot holing. I can't see the appeal at all.:o

Getting stuck crawling through a narrow crevice is more horrific than meeting monsters.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Getting stuck crawling through a narrow crevice is more horrific than meeting monsters.

Agreed i would not wan't to die in a crevice the size of a catflap I rather something just ripped my throat out
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    A very good film and very underrated. In many ways it's similar to the film Alien. It relies on suspense rather than gore and horror.

It's a shame that Descent 2 wasn't as good, although that isn't as bad as some people amek it out to be.
  • MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wakey wrote: »
    Really? I don't think its that great a transfer tbh. Obviously its better than the DVD and I suspect its not really the fault of the people doing the transfer (rather a symptom of it being a low budget indie so they have been working with what they have rather than working with the perfect tool for the job )

This could explain our difference of opinion and mentions the huge quality gap between the DVD and blu-ray.

http://film.thedigitalfix.com/content/id/66232/the-descent.html

My blu-ray is a brilliant picture, I'd forgotten until seeing it yesterday how good it is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Descent is one of my favourite films. Great characters whom you relate to, fantastic suspense, a nice shift halfway through the film (from people in peril movie to monster flick), claustrophobic, tense and gory.

The Descent 2 is actually quite a good film too - much better than people make out and very underrated. Similar in style to the first, it is claustrophobic and has this overall sense of gloom. Give it a try if you have not seen it - it can currently be picked up new on DVD for £3 from Amazon, Well worth a punt for that type of money.... cheaper than a small box of popcorn at the flicks!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    One of my top 3 movies seen it about 50 times didn't mind the second one was okay not as good as the 1st tho
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed watching this on telle a while back, glad my memory was jogged, just got it on BR now (£8.00 on supersaver delivery too :) Defo looking forward to the post person in the coming days.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Kine wrote: »
    I think it's a great film, in the sense that I'm on edge throughout.

I have no idea why people go caving or pot holing. I can't see the appeal at all. Being all underground and everything. :confused:

I still haven't braved the Chunnel.:o

It's not something I would go out of my way to do, but if someone invited me, I'd probably go.
  • PES 2009PES 2009 Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The camcorder scene, now that did make me jump. One of my favourite horror movies.

Has anyone read the novel The Descent by Jeff Long, apparently some people claim the movie borrowed bits from the book.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    CLL Dodge wrote: »

Yep, it is not a situation I would want to be in.
    It's not something I would go out of my way to do, but if someone invited me, I'd probably go.

Don't do it! Do something nice and safe, such as knitting or stamp collecting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    Near perfect horror movie, tense, claustrophobic, gory and plenty of jumpy moments, good cast, great story...love it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    Another +1 here, saw it again recently and really enjoyed it.
    Nice to see a cast of (relatively) well written female characters carrying a film. Scary greebly grooblies too but not as scary as getting wedged in a wet, dark underground tunnel..... I mean WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT TO YOURSELF!?!?!?!
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    everyone says how great this film is but im reluctant to watch it as my mate ruined the ending so i doubt i will get the same enjoyment from it.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched the film to see if it's as good as I remembered (thanks to this thread for reminding me) and it was. The only thing that confused me is the opening. I don't remember seeing this opening at cinema. If I remember rightly, it opened with a car driving through the forest. Was the hospital scene added for the DVD version or did I misremember? This DVD I have is not the US version as the ending is still the same as the one I remembered seeing at cinema.

The difference between the US ending and the UK ending:
    The US version ends when Sarah screams at the 'ghost'. The UK version continues to another scene after the scream.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like others, forgot how good this film is, the camcorder scene and the creature is right in front her made me jump out my skin! A really tense, and edge of your seat kinda film, just the right amount of gore as, not too little, not too much, just right for my tastes personally. Only complaint was the picture quality on bluray, I was expecting better, but I havent master the BR player yet fully, so could be my fault, but none the less, it was great to see it again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i watched this last night, its good but once they show the creatures its non stop,so much so that by the end it doesnt really make you jump at all

some scary moments for sure however. good film,is the sequel any good?
  • Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love The Descent. I have to admit, I really enjoyed the sequel maybe even more than the first. But that could be because I haven't seen the first one in a few years so it wasn't as fresh in my mind.

I do think the sequel is underrated. As much as people love the first one, the sequel is great nonetheless and I'd recommend it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a good movie, but the ending, rubbish
  • Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed i would not wan't to die in a crevice the size of a catflap I rather something just ripped my throat out

That made me choke on me can of pop!:mad:

:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soundstory wrote: »
    It's a good movie, but the ending, rubbish

yeah,what the hell was that about?