The PS4 Camera : Some questions

supersleuthsupersleuth Posts: 470
Forum Member
Couple of questions on the PS4 camera.

1. Has it been identified where the camera should be placed (on top of tv, at base of screen.)

2. My smart TV has Skype, any idea if I can use the PS4 camera for Skype?

Thanks

Comments

• fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. The camera is designed so that it can be tilted up or down, suggesting it will work above or below the TV.

2. If you mean can you plug the camera into your TV, the answer's almost definitely no as it has a propriertery connection.

If you mean will the PS4 do Skype, probably not as it's a key feature of Xbox One and MS now own the service.
  • redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member
    I thought the camera used USB?
  • muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    redhatmatt wrote: »

Apparently not. It has a fat usb style connector and plugs into the back in a dedicated port.
  • ash45ash45 Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    redhatmatt wrote: »

the ps 2/3 cam is usb but the ps4 cam gos through a proprietary "AUX" connector

Ash
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's actually quite good news about camera using the rear port. Maybe not for op but for me. I hated the ps3 camera tying up a front usb connector on ps3
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Having seen an un boxing of the PS4 Camera, can't really see how it's going to sit/attach to the top of a TV.

And MS want Skype on the PS4 so never say never.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having seen an un boxing of the PS4 Camera, can't really see how it's going to sit/attach to the top of a TV.

And MS want Skype on the PS4 so never say never.

Kinect and PS Eye aren't really suited to sit on top of modern TVs either, but there are a variety of brackets available to facilitate this. PS4 versions are already available to order from retailers.

MS do seem to have multiplatform ambitions for Skype (it's on PS Vita for example) but adding it to PS4 could raise a question amongst Xbox One owners - how come it's free on PS4 but hidden behind the Xbox Live Gold paywall on Xbox One?
  • Polo MintsPolo Mints Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    munta wrote: »
    Apparently not. It has a fat usb style connector and plugs into the back in a dedicated port.
    I thought that this proprietary connector baloney was supposed to be coming to an end? :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Polo Mints wrote: »
    I thought that this proprietary connector baloney was supposed to be coming to an end? :rolleyes:

Yes, for thing like phone chargers. That doesn't apply here.
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    Looks like it comes with some sort of TV clip so it sits on top of your TV. Not sure if this'll come with the Killzone gamer bundle though? Also comes with everyone's favourite, proprietary connection http://youtu.be/6jzMf2SqrVY