LG 42" LCD - tips on how to get the right picture

Hi everyone,

does anyone have a LG LCD tv, I have a new one, but I cant seem to get the right picture quality, i have tried to adjust levels such as back light, contrast ect. but the picture always looks too dark.
Does anyone have the same TV and what levels (picture wise) do you have your tv set on.

Many thanks

Comments

• ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I followed the set up menu and although it took a while to do, it's been fine ever since.
  • sealionsealion Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    You might find this tutorial useful.

http://www.avforums.com/home/pictureperfect.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    The best way to do it is with a calibration DVD. They normally cost, but AVSForums have released one called AVS HD 709 that is a legal, and free download. You download it, burn it to disc, stick it in your BluRay player and follow it through.

NOTE: You can burn it to DVD, but you need to play it back on a BluRay player rather than a normal DVD player because it is in AVCHD format. Most of the latest BluRay players support AVCHD, as does the PS3 but do a search for your model of BluRay player to confirm it does before downloading.

Just do a search in Google for AVS HD 709 download to find it.

Edit: Here's an article on how to use it:
    http://lifehacker.com/5858625/how-to-calibrate-your-hdtv-and-boost-your-video-quality-in-30-minutes-or-less
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A new LCD TV would normally be expected to be very bright.

If a person is saying it's too dark it suggests a problem rather than a set-up issue.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    A new LCD TV would normally be expected to be very bright.

If a person is saying it's too dark it suggests a problem rather than a set-up issue.

EXTREMELY unlikely, such a fault would be almost totally unknown - it's not a type of fault that occurs.

One thing he might check is if it's got an auto-light sensor on it? (many TV's do, and they default to ON) - turning that OFF will make the TV work correctly.

I really can't believe they still put it on TV's?, it's been done intermittently since at least the 50's, and has been a complete disaster every single time.
  • taskertasker Posts: 4,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

does anyone have a LG LCD tv, I have a new one, but I cant seem to get the right picture quality, i have tried to adjust levels such as back light, contrast ect. but the picture always looks too dark.
    Does anyone have the same TV and what levels (picture wise) do you have your tv set on.

Many thanks

If you do a search on avforums for your model there is usually a thread for it and someone will have set out the best settings, i have used this for my last 3 tv's and found it very useful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like everything else. it's all down to personal taste/preference. What's ok for some may not be for others. It's best the OP do the settings for himself but I would recommend any picture enhancements be turned off then take it from there. It took me ages to get my TV settings just the way I like them.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    make sure the tv pictture setting is Normal, and not in Game mode or other mode. I found this on a nearly new LG LCD a week or so ago, and afterwarrds the pic was really quite good (even on Freeview).

There are also similar options for sound too.