Do you think Artpop will be more successful than born this way?

tim18tim18 Posts: 737
Forum Member
✭✭
Another gaga thread i know (sorry), was just wondering if you think artpop will or will not succeed born this way based on sales?

Personally, i think it wont. Theres so much negativity around her in terms of public perception and her music isnt as good as it once was. There seems to be a lot less hype compared to born this way

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I, for one, think the music is of a much better quality than Born This Way; it's musically and sonically a lot more interesting to me. The release schedule has been horrendously poor though and hasn't led to the songs getting the recognition they deserve.

When will these big popstars realise 'On air/On sale' doesn't really work for the UK. If Applause debuted when it did and was then released to iTunes that Sunday/Monday, she would have seen a far stronger debut. See Katy's Roar.

Then there's all of the mess surrounding the second single. No longer Venus. DWUW can't chart.

I think the album will sell very well though, will it sell more than Born This Way, probably not in the short term because she doesn't have that Amazon deal for ARTPOP (thank God). In the long term... I hope so.
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the music is not as good as her previous material in my opinion and now that we have heard two thirds of the album, the standard of her music has diminished for me since her fame/monster peak. the album sales will be good initially, because the pre-orders must be high considering the promo single did so well initially following instant grats being issued.

however, i doubt "artpop" will open with the sales "born this way" opened with and i doubt it will sell as well in the long term. clever single choices with possible collaborations on the singles might save the campaign if the record company is clever once the album is released.
  • Daily DreamsDaily Dreams Posts: 1,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In one word, yes :) the music we've heard so far sounds incredible and much better than BTW!
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will do well but it hasn't got the insane BTW hype so maybe it won't sell as well overrall. I just think everything has been so underwhelming and messy and the music isn't great either. That X Factor performance just left people thinking WTF??? And not in a good way either
  • barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    Won't sell as good, I think the whole Gaga thing is wearing thin now a little.
  • asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    No it will not as she is now just seen as a joke by a lot of people, her performance last night came across as a mess and would not of won her any new fans.

She is clearly off her face or just losing the plot as well as her behavior when not performing is not on planet earth .
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not anti-Ga-Ga, but, I her 'alpha' moment has gone. I reckon it will sell the same as BTW, maybe alittle less. The publicity machine isn't behind her like it used to be. She'll always have an audience with dissaffected teens & gay men, but the general public have moved on from her. That's pop-life folks! She doesn't 'feel' current/relevant anymore (even if she is!).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    If you gauge the success of an album purely by critical success, that's rather sad I think.

Commercially, ARTPOP will not sell as much as Born This Way did.

Critically however, I am quietly hopeful that ARTPOP will receive more critical acclaim than Born This Way.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you gauge the success of an album purely by critical success, that's rather sad I think.

Critically however, I am quietly hopeful that ARTPOP will receive more critical acclaim than Born This Way.

THIS:D:D
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No every artist is struggling as album sales are at their lowest ebb for a very long time so no.

In terms of chart success will it do better probably not the same as BTW i would say interest has seemed to wane and no song as yet to reignite interest.
    Forum Member

For the bit in bold, I meant to write "commercial" success, silly silly me!

Though to gauge an album's success solely on critical success (and completely disregard other factors like fan reception, commercial success and and overall cultural impact) would be similarly unwise. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    In short, no.

Commercially, she'll have moderate success - but it won't be her time to shine. Critically, I feel the material will be more favoured - but the claws may still be out from BTW.

As a fan, I think the reality is that she's pursuing a concept that will ultimately disprove her point. ART and POP can't really be comfortable bedfellows in the public eye. Not to the extent she wants. It's too high brow. It's too weird. She's too hard to swallow and people are too lazy to try. They like their pop as light relief. She got away with it before because it was something fresh and different, but now the novelty has gone people are wanting to return to their scheduled programming.

It's a shame because she has some great songs on the album, but they don't appear to be choosing the right songs to sell it. Favouring the disjointed and quirky dance uptempos over the slick pop midtempos. Then there's Gaga not exactly helping the situation with bemusing visuals and inconsistent concepts.

In my opinion, we're seeing her transition into being the underdog. As good as I think she is and the album will be, I just don't see her being able to compete with her peers when they're delivering exactly what people want. They're not over-thinking it. Until she is prepared to play the game (i.e. tone it down and be strategic) then I don't see her being top dog again. Not that she needs or necessarily wants to be, though.

That said, these things work in cycles. Nobody is on top constantly and being the underdog is endearing. People want to root for you. She was the somewhat untouchable phenomenon before and now that she's been pulled back down to earth with other pop girls rising above her - she's increasingly less of a target whilst they take their turn in the firing line. It's only a matter of time before people get bored of them and things flip, making Gaga seem like an attractive option again. All she has to do is still be there and be prepared (usually popstars don't manage to stick around because it takes money to buy hits, and it takes success to make money...so if you fade, you're screwed) which is likely considering her large fanbase and talent for writing great pop songs.

Hopefully ARTPOP VOL.1 will shake them up enough to get their act together and VOL.2 will see her come back fighting. Whatever happens though, I'm sure I'll enjoy the music.
    Forum Member
    In short, no.

Commercially, she'll have moderate success - but it won't be her time to shine. Critically, I feel the material will be more favoured - but the claws may still be out from BTW.

As a fan, I think the reality is that she's pursuing a concept that will ultimately disprove her point. ART and POP can't really be comfortable bedfellows in the public eye. Not to the extent she wants. It's too high brow. It's too weird. She's too hard to swallow and people are too lazy to try. They like their pop as light relief. She got away with it before because it was something fresh and different, but now the novelty has gone people are wanting to return to their scheduled programming.

It's a shame because she has some great songs on the album, but they don't appear to be choosing the right songs to sell it. Favouring the disjointed and quirky dance uptempos over the slick pop midtempos. Then there's Gaga not exactly helping the situation with bemusing visuals and inconsistent concepts.

In my opinion, we're seeing her transition into being the underdog. As good as I think she is and the album will be, I just don't see her being able to compete with her peers when they're delivering exactly what people want. They're not over-thinking it. Until she is prepared to play the game (i.e. tone it down and be strategic) then I don't see her being top dog again. Not that she needs or necessarily wants to be, though.

That said, these things work in cycles. Nobody is on top constantly and being the underdog is endearing. People want to root for you. She was the somewhat untouchable phenomenon before and now that she's been pulled back down to earth with other pop girls rising above her - she's increasingly less of a target whilst they take their turn in the firing line. It's only a matter of time before people get bored of them and things flip, making Gaga seem like an attractive option again. All she has to do is still be there and be prepared (usually popstars don't manage to stick around because it takes money to buy hits, and it takes success to make money...so if you fade, you're screwed) which is likely considering her large fanbase and talent for writing great pop songs.

Hopefully ARTPOP VOL.1 will shake them up enough to get their act together and VOL.2 will see her come back fighting. Whatever happens though, I'm sure I'll enjoy the music.

I agree with most of this, especially the parts in bold. Good post.

I didn't know we were still getting a two volume ARTPOP though? :confused::D:)
  • Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will get to number one just because it's Gaga but I do think a lot of people have got sick of her. I know I have.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In short, no.

I wholeheartedly disagree and i would argue personally it's her inability to be truly spectacular at being either the Highbrow artist she thinks she is and the pop queen people expect from her. There has yet to be a defining moment inw hich she has truly lived up to her promis her music is still simialr to what she's released befor there is little or no progression in her EDM sound and there is no real level of artistry on a non amature level. People are simply bored with her approach whihc is wacky outfit and throw everyything at the wall and see what sticks method. There iseither nowehere left for her to go and this is all we willget or she bottled it and stuck to a formula whih is quickly unravelling.
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will get to number one just because it's Gaga but I do think a lot of people have got sick of her. I know I have.

I wouldn't bank on that . She isn't number 1 on I tunes
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i honestly don't see lady gaga turning into an underdog.:o her ego is too big to warrant any sympathy from people and her previous status will always precede her. lmao, at the suggestion that the commercial success is not a sign of quality. the statement in itself is true enough, but these comments are coming from gaga supporters and many of her fans bragged about her commercial success previously on these forums.

she is a mainstream recording artist and her label will have sales expectations, that is the cold reality of her predicament. gaga is a high profile artist and commercial success is important to justify the expenditure on this album campaign. her record company cant announce high levels of critical acclaim instead of announcing profits, because it is a business after all.
  • grazmangrazman Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hype is wearing off now. Success and longevity for her now depends on her music and if she doesn't produce the goods she will start to fade...and she is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Commercially, no. Album sales are a lot lower so unless she has several huge hits it's very unlikely. But I imagine she will gain more critical acclaim.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    I wholeheartedly disagree and i would argue personally it's her inability to be truly spectacular at being either the Highbrow artist she thinks she is and the pop queen people expect from her. There has yet to be a defining moment inw hich she has truly lived up to her promis her music is still simialr to what she's released befor there is little or no progression in her EDM sound and there is no real level of artistry on a non amature level. People are simply bored with her approach whihc is wacky outfit and throw everyything at the wall and see what sticks method. There iseither nowehere left for her to go and this is all we willget or she bottled it and stuck to a formula whih is quickly unravelling.

I disagree with most of this.

She's got plenty of options to pursue, she just has to properly go for it and have a strategic game plan. ARTPOP, to me, originally seemed like it was going to be lighter and more streamlined...but that didn't happen. She didn't even stick to being brunette.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think commercially it will do better than BTW but critically I think it will.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TH14 wrote: »
    That X Factor performance just left people thinking WTF??? And not in a good way either

That it did. I was on the "live" thread at the time and there was not a single positive comment :o Well, there was a solitary one about how amazing her body is, but... nothing good about the performance.

I don't know how many of those comments came from people who'd normally buy a Gaga album but for me... I loved TFM, but I gradually tailed off her during BTW and I'm still there now, she just isn't interesting or exciting to me anymore. Its all looking a little bit desperate.
  • tim18tim18 Posts: 737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont think im gonna buy artpop. I have bought every gaga album.