Lily Allen - Sheezus (Third Album Thread)

LMLM Posts: 63,477
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a552959/lily-allen-names-new-album-sheezus-its-a-nod-to-kanye.html

About five years since her last album, Lily presents Sheezus. The album will include Hard Out There, Air Balloon and a song she did for the television series Girls.

Comments

• dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Used to like Lilly, but judging by what she has released since coming back, don't think I will bother with this album.
  • StiggyStiggy Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    course you will ;-)
  • tim18tim18 Posts: 737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to like lilly too, but im not going to bother with this album, especially after she released 3 crap songs.
  • Mark-AnthonyMark-Anthony Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's like she's become everything she puts down and sort of like a spoof version of herself then tries to pass it off as 'sarcasm'
  • GlassBalloonGlassBalloon Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's like she's become everything she puts down and sort of like a spoof version of herself then tries to pass it off as 'sarcasm'

I have to agree with this. Hard Out Here and L8 CMMR sound like she's trying too hard to be ironic with the Autotune. I appreciate irony but if the music's crap, I won't be here for her.

Of course I'll get the album cos it's Lily, but I haven't been overly impressed with her new music so far. Hopefully there'll be a few gems on Sheezus anyway (epic title).
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,989
    Forum Member
    I really like Lily's previous albums but I've not been at all keen on the recent music that she has released, sadly. It'll be interesting to see what the rest of the album sounds like.
  • scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hard Out Here is fantastic. Such an underrated song.

Air Balloon took a while to grow on me but I love it now.

L8 CMMR isn't as good but I haven't given it much of a chance yet.

Also a snippet of one of her new songs 'No Bass Like Home' is online somewhere and that sounds rather wonderful.

All in all, Sheezus can't come quick enough :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    I really wanted to like this, but I can't take to the new music!!

I'll definitely check out the album, hopefully there are some gems on it
    Also, does anyone else get the impression she doesn't like 'Air Balloon' much? It's just a vibe I got on Graham Norton.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All apart from HOH have been growers. I agree in some respect she is trying to hard, but having been away for so long I understand it she is just reasserting herself, perhaps trying too hard and needs to step back a bit.

As for the sound wish she had moved away from IKMIY like she did after A,S shook it up and came back all fresh and new. But I am really anticipating this HOH was a masterstroke something I feel many still don't quite get. Yes aB is throw away but it's pure pop perfection L8 comer is great too. I like the lyrics reflect her life now and as ever they are auti-biographical whilst still topical, her two core strengths.

I'm not a fan of the album title but overall, I think we will get a fun upbeat record which will be a change and surprise from her.
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha, great title!!!
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    0...0 wrote: »
    Haha, great title!!!

quite agree...clever and witty ...and very attention grabbing in both the UK and US.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of you are taking the whole thing a bit seriously.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    She actually cannot sing and her new video is just cringeworthy. Looks like a video for babies. :confused:
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,849
    Forum Member
    quite agree...clever and witty ...and very attention grabbing in both the UK and US.

It would be clever and witty if Kanye West hadn't done similar with an album title last year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    Ramo1234 wrote: »
    She actually cannot sing and her new video is just cringeworthy. Looks like a video for babies. :confused:

I think I may have been a bit harsh. I have grown to like the Air Ballon song but I still find the video cringeworthy. I liked her older songs like the 22 etc.
  • HugoLottHugoLott Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    I think she is trying to be a parody of what music is nowadays if you see what i mean. Hard Out Here was almost like a hint into what is to come. Air Balloon can be a parody of a common pop song with non-sensical lyrics and L8 CMMR is reflecting how badly Autotune has been used in recent history.

Personally, i'm liking everything she has put out at the moment apart from L8 CMMR but i'm sure that it will grow on me in the near future.
  • Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    Only just got to hear 'Hard out here' really like it! much better than air balloon.
    was it an official single? i never heard it on radio/tv
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aura101 wrote: »
    Only just got to hear 'Hard out here' really like it! much better than air balloon.
    was it an official single? i never heard it on radio/tv

Yes it was but by the time they censored it, it sounded ridiculous (I heard it on radio 1 once).
  • d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    HugoLott wrote: »
    I think she is trying to be a parody of what music is nowadays if you see what i mean. Hard Out Here was almost like a hint into what is to come. Air Balloon can be a parody of a common pop song with non-sensical lyrics and L8 CMMR is reflecting how badly Autotune has been used in recent history.

Personally, i'm liking everything she has put out at the moment apart from L8 CMMR but i'm sure that it will grow on me in the near future.

Well in that case, I'd prefer her to drop the constant parodies and put out a song that is her definition of 'good music'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked her when she did It's Not Me, It's You. I loved all singles from there except Who'd Have Known. F&*k You was easily her best song from that album.

As for this era, Hard Out Here is a good song. Air Balloon is probably her worst single release to date, to be honest. It sounds very mediocre, coming from her.
  • JigglyBallJigglyBall Posts: 1,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She tried and failed to compete with the other 'sexy' singers around at that time, then went on and on about settling down and having babies - got pregnant four times by two different men in a relatively short period of time. Married off, retired...

And now she's back pretending she doesn't want to be the very one thing she's trying desperately hard to be seen as, the usual bitching and sniping on Twitter and just generally being her old unpleasant self. Her music isn't all that great this time around, I think she should go back into exile.
  • Daisy BennybootsDaisy Bennyboots Posts: 18,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Air Balloon sounds like MIA's Paper Planes - but dumbed down for young children.

I won't bother thanks.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a556454/lily-allen-has-a-fight-as-a-hotdog-in-new-our-time-music-video-watch.html

Tracklisting, album art, release date and plus the video for her third single
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes it was but by the time they censored it, it sounded ridiculous (I heard it on radio 1 once).

Every radio edit I have have heard has every other word censored, but not bitch. Surprised considering she says it about 50 times.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Air Balloon. Been my fave track of 2014 so far.