Predicted Problems with Next Gen Consoles?

FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
Forum Member
✭✭
Come on, there is always a shed load to iron out - that's why I'm waiting.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe that catastrophic failures on consumer electronics is around 3%. So with millions being sold expect lots of MY CONSOLE IS ****ED ITS RROD/YLOD ALL OVER AGAIN comments and people thinking every console is going to fail based on a couple of 'normal' failures.

In fact extended warranty firms would like you to believe that failure rates for some kinds of items are in the 10s of percent!
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a good point. It does make you wonder if there will be YLOD/RROD type of problems with the new gen consoles.

There's still so many games I haven't played yet on my PS3 and Xbox 360!
  • He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    Theres a chap on neogaf who has already encountered the WLOD ( White light of death)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=715057

I haven't read the entire thread but there is a least one other person that has had the same error.Hopefully any problems are very few.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He4rt wrote: »
    Theres a chap on neogaf who has already encountered the WLOD ( White light of death)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=715057

I haven't read the entire thread but there is a least one other person that has had the same error.Hopefully any problems are very few.

There are at least 3 different people with the problem on the thread. There also seems to be a problem with the HDMI output not working at all. What is interesting, is that a few days ago IGN went to some Sony party and they said it is the world first preview of the release console - implying that all the other consoles previewed at shows etc were actually prototypes and not representative of the real experience players are going to have.

Kotaku has also said on Reddit that the first retail console they received to review was faulty and experienced the same problem as above, so they had to get another one sent out.

The PS4 also wobbles! http://static.gamespot.com/uploads/scale_medium/253/2533664/2376216-iyj0ejfddruqy.gif - Interestingly, NeoGAF says this isn't a problem and is irrelevent and the "bitchiest thing ever". Yes, they have a huge thread there about how unacceptable and disgusting it is the XBO games are on the left hand side!

I'm loving the NeoGaf meltdown.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IGN are now also reporting that their review console broke also:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/11/14/broken-playstation-4-systems

As someone says in the comments - now is the perfect time for Microsoft to tackle Sony's "This is how you trade games on PS4". They could make a "This is how you turn on an Xbox One and actually play games" video.
  • dazzy71dazzy71 Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last night decided to check out a Killzone stream. What i ended up watching was so much more entertaining. The persons PS4 had gone in to standby and was just flashing, so he turned it off. Then it would turn on but stuck in some sort of flashing state. He was getting some advice from chat, but mostly, chuck it out the window type of comment. Finally he rang Sony customer service giving his personal details over twitch. At that point i stopped watching, the person was in despair.

I've also seen a video of the 'wobble' basically the PS4 doesn't sit flat. Easily fixable, but come on how on earth did the 'wobble' make it to production.

Yesterday was not a good day for Sony. I just hope the X1 goes a little better
  • SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I can gather the wobble has to do with the feet being at the end on one side and 2/3 down on the other. Meaning if you put your hand or any other weight on the end with no legs it would lean. Nobody touches their console while playing so it shouldn't be an issue really.

You can see the wobble on this video at 1.02
  • PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Predicted problem of the XBOX one is that it gets games ported to it for being underpowered.
    Predicted problem with the PS$ is it gets ported to it for being overpowered
  • jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loving the Banderas GIFs.

Funny as hell :D
  • ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    predicted problems = not having enough stock for those wishing to purchase either or both consoles as Xmas presents.
  • Chris_TVChris_TV Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope this issue with PS4's bricking is just a firmware issue. Otherwise I can see the European launch put back into 2014.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I first saw the PS4 I was surprised how small it was and I did wonder about airflow/heat issues. I know cpu/gpus probably run a lot cooler now but still....people were criticising the xbox one's larger size but I thought it was a sensible move in terms of keeping heat and noise down (doesn't the xbox have a big ass fan in it?). Of course there are other things that affect reliability like poor design and crappy materials but you would hope they've learnt from their past mistakes.
  • FinalAnswer?FinalAnswer? Posts: 1,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a handful of consoles out of hundreds of thousands isn't a bad number to be honest. With everyone having smartphones and broadband, and these machines being under the microscope any faulty machines are likely to be reported and picked up on.

Imagine if we had this level of scrutiny during the 360 launch - it would have been carnage!
  • cooltvcooltv Posts: 3,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris_TV wrote: »
    I hope this issue with PS4's bricking is just a firmware issue. Otherwise I can see the European launch put back into 2014.

Would be painful for people with PS4 pre orders
  • redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member
    a handful of consoles out of hundreds of thousands isn't a bad number to be honest. With everyone having smartphones and broadband, and these machines being under the microscope any faulty machines are likely to be reported and picked up on.

Imagine if we had this level of scrutiny during the 360 launch - it would have been carnage!

At this stage if it was a handfall of consoles, even out of a yield rate of 100 000 ogf thousands, the fact that the handfall have all taken to the internet indicate it might be quite a significant number. Only time is going to tell if there are hardware or software faults that cause the console to work incorrectly. It sounds like faulty HDMI is an big issue with the PS4.
  • FinalAnswer?FinalAnswer? Posts: 1,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    redhatmatt wrote: »
    At this stage if it was a handfall of consoles, even out of a yield rate of 100 000 ogf thousands, the fact that the handfall have all taken to the internet indicate it might be quite a significant number. Only time is going to tell if there are hardware or software faults that cause the console to work incorrectly.

To be fair, anyone who had a PS4 before the launch had a vested interest in the next gen and would no doubt have been keeping up to date on the next gen consoles - one of the three was from IGN.

Updates seem to suggest it was a firmware update that's done the damage, which is slight comfort I guess.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I dont think that its an issue that it is simply a few bad ones out of a batch but its the consoles that Sony have shipped to game reviewers!

IGN / Kotaku / Neogaf / all have had the same issue.

I am not marketing guy but you would think that the machine that you send to these reviewers would be triple tested then tested again to make sure of no faults if for no other reason than "if something goes wrong then everyone will know about it!"

Sony have been riding high and baching MS at every chance but could this be the ultimate come back!

The "red ring of death" blighted MS for the life of the Xbox360, could this be the Sony's own version or is it bad luck that these consoles have either a) developed faults (firmware or otherwise) or b) are all inherently faulty?

I am now seriously considering dropping my pre-order until this issue is sorted out.

Who would have thought that an Xbox would be considered more reliable than a Playstation?
    Forum Member
    I dont think that its an issue that it is simply a few bad ones out of a batch but its the consoles that Sony have shipped to game reviewers!

IGN / Kotaku / Neogaf / all have had the same issue.

I am not marketing guy but you would think that the machine that you send to these reviewers would be triple tested then tested again to make sure of no faults if for no other reason than "if something goes wrong then everyone will know about it!"

Sony have been riding high and baching MS at every chance but could this be the ultimate come back!

The "red ring of death" blighted MS for the life of the Xbox360, could this be the Sony's own version or is it bad luck that these consoles have either a) developed faults (firmware or otherwise) or b) are all inherently faulty?

I am now seriously considering dropping my pre-order until this issue is sorted out.

Who would have thought that an Xbox would be considered more reliable than a Playstation?

We don't know that yet....
  • jwballjwball Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nobody. I'm pretty sure production models will be spot on. Sony generally don't make poor products.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    redhatmatt wrote: »
    We don't know that yet....

Sorry, I was being sarcastic and I know full well that we still have to see how the Xbone does when it is released but based on spec, it would appear that MS have done everything possible to get rid of the overheating problem. (if only they could stop their marketing department from screwing up!)

I am getting both consoles at launch but right now can see me dropping the PS4.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    brb wrote: »
    IGN are now also reporting that their review console broke also:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/11/14/broken-playstation-4-systems

As someone says in the comments - now is the perfect time for Microsoft to tackle Sony's "This is how you trade games on PS4". They could make a "This is how you turn on an Xbox One and actually play games" video.

Thankfully that's not their style, this is why it's best not to gloat in the first place because if something does go wrong you end up looking a bit silly.

Can't believe the PS4 rocks like that, poor build quality maybe it's a one-off. These issues surrounding HDMI is a potential problem though. I genuinely hope that's not he case as it would suck for anyone to receive their console only for it to break down.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is dodgy port connections not overheating, though.

Seems to me likely a dodgy batch based on some factory worker doing a poor job as Kotaku said if they apply pressure it will show the display OK.

Also there are 100s out there now, people who have them early, 400 won a Taco Bell competition and have them early, 1000s in the hands of devs, 100s on expo floors and 1000s across a great number of retail stores.

http://www.squaretrade.co.uk/htm/pop/lm_failureRates.html
  • Tictac2Tictac2 Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    chopoff wrote: »
    This is dodgy port connections not overheating, though.

Seems to me likely a dodgy batch based on some factory worker doing a poor job as Kotaku said if they apply pressure it will show the display OK.

Weird, because the factory workers were so motivated to do a good job!
    Forum Member
    Sorry, I was being sarcastic and I know full well that we still have to see how the Xbone does when it is released but based on spec, it would appear that MS have done everything possible to get rid of the overheating problem. (if only they could stop their marketing department from screwing up!)

I am getting both consoles at launch but right now can see me dropping the PS4.

Yeah, but as these problems have demonstrated it may not be the way the console handles heat that could be the problem.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Tictac2 wrote: »
    Weird, because the factory workers were so motivated to do a good job!

Oh man, I had no idea..