'Bag it Up' - pop genius or camp pap?

kenny12kenny12 Posts: 1,310
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Actually watch, think back, and view it with an open mind...

Was this third number one from Geri Halliwell 'Sinitta' style terrible or a work of pure pop fabulousness?

From the Girl Powder to the female Hugh Hefner/Willy Wonka homage, what be your thoughts?

Original Video

Brit Awards Perfromance

Lady Gaga Plagiarism......

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is still a guilty pleasure of mine. I would think it was bubblegum pop at its best just upon hearing the song. The music video and the Brit Awards performance made it campy, in my opinion. To this day, I find it funny how the song beat Blink 182's All The Small Things to reach number one. :o
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oh kenny, why the gaga plagiarism claims again?:yawn: it won't end well once the nuttier element of her fanbase descend on the thread with no sense of humor whatsoever.:sleep: you actually pose an interesting question, which will divide opinions, but dragging these comparisons back into the equation, just seems to undermine that somewhat.

anyway, "bag it up" is not one of my favourites from geri, not by a long shot. however, that mime-a-thon brits performance was her at the top of her game in terms of her performance skills. it was an entertaining, well choreographed, camp extravaganza and proved she obviously was a huge asset to the spice girls in retrospect, despite her limitations.

yes, her vocal limitations were apparent, her dancing skills were not in the same league as the other girls, but she could entertain nevertheless and had great stage presence. i don't think song itself was pure pop perfection, but that brits performance was a great moment in pop. :)
  • CloudbusterCloudbuster Posts: 688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A special pop moment. What an impact Geri made, which meant it would never last
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A special pop moment. What an impact Geri made, which meant it would never last

If Geri had more vocal power I think her success would have lasted. What ever anyone thinks of her she is a gifted pop song writer and her solo albums are testament to this. Her vocals have just always held her back from being a major success in her own right.

But when an artist throws so much together all at once it leaves them with very little where else to go once the initial fanbase grows up.

Its a big statement to make but I do feel Geri changed pop in the UK after a period of it becoming very stale. I mean you have likes of Adele and Jessie J citing Geri as their idol. That's only a good thing right? She was spokeswoman for a generation of young girls. That is when you know someone has left a legacy and that Union Jack dress is one of the most iconic moments, not just in pop history but of the 90s as a decade.
  • LathamiteLathamite Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bag it up? If you would, please.
  • MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Camp pap
  • PJ1893PJ1893 Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the Brit Awards has been missing this sort of big, camp OTT performances to make it more interesting, but I always considered the song to be like a weaker 'Who Do You Think You Are?'
    It was like she was trying to re-produce that SG song.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Spice Girls were something special as even some of their solo material was good quality. Mel C outshines them in terms of solo career but Geri and Emma had some good songs to.

Alot better than Girls Aloud's attempt's at solo careers and I fear The Saturdays will be even worse. :/
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I actually like most of Geri's singles. Her albums were nothing amazing, but her singles were all pretty decent. Bag It Up is one of her best - along with Look at Me and the underrated Calling.

That Brits performance was just brilliant.

However, in terms of Spice solo career, Mel C is hands down the best imo. All 5 of her albums are really good.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bag It Up was awful but she did have some decent songs
  • Mark-AnthonyMark-Anthony Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That performance was rubbish. I've never seen it before but it was just...awkward
  • CloudbusterCloudbuster Posts: 688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Geri had more vocal power I think her success would have lasted. What ever anyone thinks of her she is a gifted pop song writer and her solo albums are testament to this. Her vocals have just always held her back from being a major success in her own right.

But when an artist throws so much together all at once it leaves them with very little where else to go once the initial fanbase grows up.

Its a big statement to make but I do feel Geri changed pop in the UK after a period of it becoming very stale. I mean you have likes of Adele and Jessie J citing Geri as their idol. That's only a good thing right? She was spokeswoman for a generation of young girls. That is when you know someone has left a legacy and that Union Jack dress is one of the most iconic moments, not just in pop history but of the 90s as a decade.

I agree with all that you say. Geri shoved an impressive bundle of excellent pop songs at us in a relatively short space of time. I love Circles Round The Moon- what a song!
  • BumbleSquatBumbleSquat Posts: 7,176
    Forum Member
    Listening to Geri's solo albums really does make you realise what a huge influence she was in the writing of the Spice Girls material. She really delivered with the campy fun pop - isn't that what pop music is supposed to be? Mind you, whilst the other girls totally changed direction by working with American producers for an R&B sound on their third album, Geri stuck with the writers and producers who helped make the group a success.

I'll give Geri this though, she always knew how to create a buzz or pull a publicity stunt when her singles were released. Remember when she went head-to-head with Emma Bunton in the charts and suddenly the story ''leaked'' that she was dating Chris Evans!

As for 'Bag It Up', I always considered it a sequel to 'Who Do You Think You Are'. It hasn't really stood the test of time, however. It's not a memorable number 1 single. It's not even a memorable Geri single!
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was more pap than camp. One of Geri's many many many problems is she just doesn't have the personality to carry off anything memorable. She was okay as part of the Spice Girls, but as a solo artist she's really quite generic, and camp needs a larger than life diva to do it right (with the exception of Kylie, who's an anomaly as far as camp icons go).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with all that you say. Geri shoved an impressive bundle of excellent pop songs at us in a relatively short space of time. I love Circles Round The Moon- what a song!

Circles Around The Moon and Love Is The Only Light should have both been single releases from Scream.

I think her very first album was pure pop at its best. Like someone said. You can tell from Geri's albums that she had the most imput into the writing of the Spice Girls songs.
  • Judas82Judas82 Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    Geri's first two albums are very good 'pop' albums and I do like all the tracks on them including Bag It Up but they are very much of their time.
  • swordofomensswordofomens Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    Love Never Loved Me from her third album is the best thing she ever put to CD.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You guys ever heard Breaking Glass ?

It was just a b side but one of her very best pieces of work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNlwLMg9coQ
  • Judas82Judas82 Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    Just listened to both Love Never Loved Me and Breaking Glass for the first time. I can't believe these tracks were wasted as a b-side and album track. They should have been released as singles.
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a great pop song. Those Lady Gaga "plagiarisms" are ridiculous though.
  • WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    I actually like most of Geri's singles. Her albums were nothing amazing, but her singles were all pretty decent. Bag It Up is one of her best - along with Look at Me and the underrated Calling.

That Brits performance was just brilliant.

However, in terms of Spice solo career, Mel C is hands down the best imo. All 5 of her albums are really good.

Actually, some of Geri's best songs were kept as album tracks or b sides. She always released strong overall albums, rather than just 4 good songs to release as singles and the rest filler - IMO, of course!

I remember the buzz of watching this BIU performance on tv. I really wanted her to win that "Best British Female" award but she was beaten by Beth Orton. Also, the rumours were rife that she may join the girls on stage to collect the "Contribution To Music" award at the end. It was all so exciting as a 15 year old gay boy lol