The Ratings Thread (Part 45)

Comments

• RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ronant wrote: »
    That's the first slot of the BBC One Christmas Day 2013 schedule filled then (presumably one will be on Christmas Day this year). Bad news for Downton!

Fourth series in the long grass then. They'd have announced that at the same time surely?

Christmas Day and New Years Day probably the obvious slots if no fourth series, but I do sense nervousness about Christmas Day.
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the 'Oh, Doctor Beeching' theme tune - a 7 year old could have done better post.

This was not written for the TV series. It is an older song by Flanagan and Allan from the time of the Beeching axe based on the even older comic rhyme 'Oh, Mr Porter.'

The same Flanagan actually sings the theme song of Dad's Army.

Some of their older songs are classics like Underneath the Arches and Run Rabbit Run. But their style is very old fashioned.
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    Fourth series in the long grass then. They'd have announced that at the same time surely?

Christmas Day and New Years Day probably the obvious slots if no fourth series, but I do sense nervousness about Christmas Day.

I know what you mean - given the rather bawdy humour it could end up being another Men Behaving Badly 'tissues'-type error to show it on Christmas Day. Boxing Day and NYD would be a better bet.

All we need now is Miranda confirmed - maybe that could be a more 'family friendly' Christmas Day shoe-in?
  • BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 23,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Wow. Viewers really hate the Dallas reboot, both here and in the US.

Only 819k (3.4%) turned out for the season premiere last night in the UK. It was beaten by the programmes either side of it, as Benidorm ER drew 1.17m (5.0%) at 8pm and the excellent new documentary series Brain Hospital managed a decent 884k (5.3%) at 10pm.
    Not too surprisinging considering how ratings fell across it's first series in almost all markets.

Revivals are always questionable - and as someone who grew up once Dallas was already a thing of the past I've always felt people looked back on it kind of mockingly rather than with affection.
    kwynne42 wrote: »
    If Dallas was on Channel 4 they would be making arrangements to show it at 5 past midnight by now.
    Not with the current bosses - it would hold out in it's slot until the bitter end. If C4 had any sense on how to fix ratings they'd have switched Countdown back to 3.15pm by now and either put Face the Clock at 2.45pm or booted it out of the schedules altogether.
    I hope Miranda gets to be on Christmas day as well, followed by a 4th series. It's finally gained a lot of recognition, so it definitely needs another series. :)
    With the fans wanting more but question marks over future series I hope the BBC don't just let her do what other shows have done and just have an annual Christmas special instead. The show has earned one this year but I really think they should push for at least one more series rather than letting Miranda dictate to them that they'll just do one episode a year.
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the 'Oh, Doctor Beeching' theme tune - a 7 year old could have done better post.

This was not written for the TV series. It is an older song by Flanagan and Allan from the time of the Beeching axe based on the even older comic rhyme 'Oh, Mr Porter.'

The same Flanagan actually sings the theme song of Dad's Army.

Some of their older songs are classics like Underneath the Arches and Run Rabbit Run. But their style is very old fashioned.
    Yes Oh Doctor Beeching had several nods to the past and the theme was certainly one of them. Oh Mr Porter was about the porter of a train who a woman explains to that she's gone past her stop.

This has nothing to do with ratings obviously. :D
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rivkin wrote: »
    how many years ago was it when itv had a regular tuesday winning line up before champions league moved from wednesdays and what was shown?? was it the bill at 8pm or ??

I remember Tuesdays containing Emmerdale and The Bill and top notch drama like Soldier, Soldier and Peak Practice.
  • rivkinrivkin Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    ITV has ordered ITVS to produce a second, extended series of treasure hunting series, Britain’s Secret Treasures.

The 8 x 30 minute series, made in partnership with the British Museum’s Portable Antiquities Scheme, will again be presented by Buerk and Hughes. Each episode will focus on historical finds in different parts of the country ending with the most important find in each area.

It will be broadcast weekly rather than stripped across a single week, as occurred with series one.

could be an 8.30 thurs show or would be better as a sunday evening show at 6pm etc
  • rivkinrivkin Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    I remember Tuesdays containing Emmerdale and The Bill and top notch drama like Soldier, Soldier and Peak Practice.

shame only emmerdale still alive and kicking, think the bill could still be revived and even soldier soldier
    shame tue nights itv even after the revamp of the channel still give up and make no effort!

still think regular shows the only way to temp ppl to watch id move champions league onto itv4 till the semi finals and try clebrity chase at 8pm for at least 4 weeks not keep changing line ups each week!!
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, the 1995 Christmas show was on Christmas Eve, but I wonder if it might be the 1996 special which was on Boxing Day right before the One Foot special (Andrew Marshall and David Renwick back together again), although that came off the back of the bog-standard 1996 run.
    Could well be the 1996 one. I was a bit starved of ratings in the mid-1990s. I think they still had an all-channel Top 10 on Teletext, but the main place for seeing ratings was Radio Times, and I can remember one of the show's Christmas ratings leaping out at me because it was high, but I can't remember how high it actually was or what year it was. :(
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

nick202 wrote: »
    I know what you mean - given the rather bawdy humour it could end up being another Men Behaving Badly 'tissues'-type error to show it on Christmas Day. Boxing Day and NYD would be a better bet.

Catherine Tate's Nan's Christmas Carol went out on Christmas Day (at 10.30pm in 2009) and I don't recall much fuss. It's not as if people don't know about the content of MBB and everyone from kids to grannies is watching it as the breakdowns reveal.

DS has alrady had an article about the likelihood of no fourth series of MBB airing before late 2014 due to Brendan O'Carroll's busy schedule.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rivkin wrote: »
    ITV has ordered ITVS to produce a second, extended series of treasure hunting series, Britain’s Secret Treasures.

The 8 x 30 minute series, made in partnership with the British Museum’s Portable Antiquities Scheme, will again be presented by Buerk and Hughes. Each episode will focus on historical finds in different parts of the country ending with the most important find in each area.

It will be broadcast weekly rather than stripped across a single week, as occurred with series one.

could be an 8.30 thurs show or would be better as a sunday evening show at 6pm etc
    I think the best that can hope for is the Tuesday 7.30pm slot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rzt wrote: »
    The Alan Titchmarsh Show: 973k (11.8%)
    I don't understand how this series carries on. It has never rated well, and the figures are still dropping.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was that the same continuity announcer who introduces Great British Railweay Journeys on BBC HD by saying it is time to join 'Hashtag sad man on a train' ?
    :D I don't know.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand how this series carries on. It has never rated well, and the figures are still dropping.
    Isn't Alan Titchmarsh on a ridiculously overpaid deal with ITV - I think only Ant and Dec and Simon Cowell get more.
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Was that the same continuity announcer who introduces Great British Railweay Journeys on BBC HD by saying it is time to join 'Hashtag sad man on a train' ?

A reference to Andrew Neil's intro to his regular contributor on This Week, in case anyone's wondering, but why the continuity announcer assumes everyone watches both shows I don't know.
    Phil 2804 wrote: »
    I just don't get what's up with Dallas, although I had to tell at least 5 of my fellow Dallas fans that it was back last night, including my parents who've loved the show since 1979. So what that says I don't know.

I loved the last series but watched the comedies last night and somehow forget to record it. There is a repeat on 5* on Sunday night at 10pm so I will either watch that or, more likely, go on Demand 5 and try to stream in HD on my shoddy internet connection.

For the real nostalgics (who also have free or pay satellite), CBS Drama are currently showing the back end of the last of the original series (1990-91) every weekday, before going right back to the beginning (1978) from 11 February,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I may have to start watching more ITV Studios programmes. I'm developing a soft spot for their new end credit ident. It comes complete with jingle. Well, I call it a jingle - it sounds more like a hippopotamus farting.

It looks like something STV might have produced forty years ago. Or LWT.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTB0EeKT_0E
  • Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,973
    Forum Member
    Those who were using the free ratings access, anyone got it back yet?
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a good stat from Jake Kanter about Sunday's Top Gear return.

"Top Gear’s audience of 929k (3.16%) on BBC HD is the highest the channel has scored for a non-sporting event. #tellyratings"
  • Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,973
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    This is a good stat from Jake Kanter about Sunday's Top Gear return.

"Top Gear’s audience of 929k (3.16%) on BBC HD is the highest the channel has scored for a non-sporting event. #tellyratings"

Good thing we included HD then. Would have been roughly 4.3m without HD and that would make it look pretty low.
    Forum Member
    iaindb wrote: »
    Catherine Tate's Nan's Christmas Carol went out on Christmas Day (at 10.30pm in 2009) and I don't recall much fuss. It's not as if people don't know about the content of MBB and everyone from kids to grannies is watching it as the breakdowns reveal.

Yes, I think 10pm or 10.30pm on Christmas Day would be fine for MBB. Just for safety, O'Carroll could use just "****" that night. :D [EDIT: I can't believe DS censors 'f.e.c.k.'!]

Meanwhile, from the BBC web page that SamuelW linked to:
    The third series, currently airing Monday nights on BBC One at 9.30pm, has seen viewing figures averaging at 14.4 million across all platforms. Two Christmas specials that transmitted on Christmas Eve and Boxing Day 2012, were enjoyed by an average audience of 15 million across all platforms.

Live + 7 stats presumably being used here - I guess it's:

Monday night consolidated ~9.5m + Saturday night consolidated ~4.5m + iPlayer ~400k = ~14.4m
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I now can see why Alan Titchmarsh is no longer on at peak-time, Move to ITV3 on the cards :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will ITV credit the increase in Lewis ratings to it being shown as 2 x 1-hour episodes instead of 1 x 2-hour episodes? Improved performance despite facing two popular sitcoms. If they do, will this mean they will do the same with their other 2-hour dramas? That would be a shame but could be good for the ratings.

I like the hour-long episodes of Lewis cos it takes up less of my time, but I'm currently enjoying the 2-hour long episode of Midsomer, the first I've watched for a while because I was finding some of the stories a bit silly and a bit racist in their stereotypical portrayal of country-folk. Sometimes a leisurely 2-hour crime mystery is just the thing.
    Forum Member
    I now can see why Alan Titchmarsh is no longer on at peak-time, Move to ITV3 on the cards :D

Is his programme pre-recorded? I guess it's pretty cheap aside from his fee.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The Alan Titchmarsh Show sponsored by Conservative Central Office.:rolleyes: And you know how popular they are at the moment.

Titchmarsh is a bit jingoistic and sychopantic and maybe daytime viewers prefer him in small doses.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks like ITV have given the go ahead for Millionaire to produce some more "The People Play" episodes with members of the public. Looking at the application form they are going to record them in July. Wouldn't be surprised if they do the same last year and have it live every night for three nights.
This discussion has been closed.