Is the council right to demand that ivy removed from front of house ?

Comments

• CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    Well i know when I go looking for a new house to buy, I inspect the neighbours.

I look in the bins to see what they eat and how much alcohol they drink.

I check on their reading material.

I sniff clothes for signs of drug use and smoking.

Gardens have to be neat and tidy. No barking animals. Peace and quiet.

Houses have to look like houses.

Quoted for the hilarity and just in case you have second thoughts and delete it.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ivy is also invasive and can spread underground and pop up elsewhere unless looked after properly
  • swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh my God, LOL. That picture is fantastic.

“Their daughter has gone off to university. I can’t imagine her coming back – that’s an embarrassing place to bring your friends or boyfriend back to.”

...really?!
    Jesus, those residents sound like fun.
  • CasualCasual Posts: 2,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My first genuine LOL of the day
  • LH1LH1 Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's up to him. He probably grows it like that so he can't see his stuck up neighbours!
  • KennedyCKennedyC Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ivy will go into every crack, under the eaves, into the roof and will then slowly dislodge tiles and bricks. It may already be too late to prevent the house from having to be demolished. There is going to be a substantial cost to remove the ivy and carry out any repairs.
  • housegirlhousegirl Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member

You sound like your going to marry it :D
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Caldari wrote: »
    Quoted for the hilarity and just in case you have second thoughts and delete it.

I was being earnest.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KennedyC wrote: »
    The ivy will go into every crack, under the eaves, into the roof and will then slowly dislodge tiles and bricks. It may already be too late to prevent the house from having to be demolished. There is going to be a substantial cost to remove the ivy and carry out any repairs.

Indeed and as I said earlier it can also spread underground and take hold in the neighbours properties if not properly maintained.

We had Ivy in our garden and even 3 years after removing it and paving over we still get shoots coming up between the slabs!
    Forum Member
    Ber wrote: »
    Indeed and as I said earlier it can also spread underground and take hold in the neighbours properties if not properly maintained.

We had Ivy in our garden and even 3 years after removing it and paving over we still get shoots coming up between the slabs!

Imagine what that does to the house in the photo with the roots pushing upwards. Subsidence and all kinds of things.
  • MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,973
    Forum Member
    I don't know why everyone is scoffing at Stud. When considering a house for purchase, the neighbourhood is one of the things to be considered in your decision in the same way as whether there are good schools in the area etc. I don't go to the extent as Stud but I do look at the cars found in the area as well as how the neighbouring houses generally look and the road layout to get a feel of what the area is like.

You may call me stuck up if you wish but I do this to minimise potential problems in the future.
    Forum Member
    housegirl wrote: »
    You sound like your going to marry it :D

Well you do have to live with your neighbours,sometimes for years.

You do have to discover very quickly what they are like and the fastest way is the dustbins and bookcases.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course the council are right. Who would want to live next door to that eyesore?

The neighbours have rights too. I'm all for keeping the nanny state off our backs as much as possible but we have to be reasonable and take everything into consideration.
  • spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The order and fine is from a (criminal) court.
  • scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    Ivy is also invasive and can spread underground and pop up elsewhere unless looked after properly
    I'm glad my wifes name ain't Ivy then.
  • miaowmiaow Posts: 8,495
    Forum Member
    Galaxy266 wrote: »

Another one! :eek: I wonder how many more there are!
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D It's that old 'it's my land I'll do what I want attitude' spouted by eccentrics, crap DIYers and would be extension builders everywhere. Unfortunately for them they can't.
  • domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    If they are that concerned why don't the neighbours offer to help?
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the council were correct to do this.
    Forum Member
    dome wrote: »
    If they are that concerned why don't the neighbours offer to help?

They usually do. It is usually recluse types who live like this and they do need a push when the sewers go mad, there is a gas escape or the trees need a good lop.

A lot of the times, things are organised for them by neighbours and the council.
  • domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    They usually do. It is usually recluse types who live like this and they do need a push when the sewers go mad, there is a gas escape or the trees need a good lop.

A lot of the times, things are organised for them by neighbours and the council.

When you have quotes like the ones in the article you can bet your life they haven't even thought about helping out. They don't deserve good neighbours unless they have imo.

Trouble is these days people are too ready to moan and complain and expect someone else to step in.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Galaxy266 wrote: »

Unsurprisingly at that price, and in quite an ordinary area, it's still for sale ~ link
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Unsurprisingly at that price, and in quite an ordinary area, it's still for sale ~ link

I can't help thinking that despite the 'make-over', the roots of that growth must have damaged the structure in some way. I could be wrong of course.