Genres, or styles of music, you'd like to see back in the charts?

Jay BigzJay Bigz Posts: 5,338
Forum Member
Electronic dance is in right now - everything else is out apparently...

Which genres, or styles, would you like to resurface in the mainstream this year?

For me, I miss real soul music, and traditional R'n'B - beautiful arrangements, and harmonies, with touching chords, and powerful vibes.

Comments

• mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'real' music, not bothered about the genre as long as its honest and not a manufactured product.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    FYI most of the crap you hear is not really "Electronic Music" its just cheaply made pop dance.

New Age Ambient like Enigma and Era - Ameno, Deep Forest - Sweet Lullaby that sort of stuff.

Proper Dance music, Proper trance,house and techno.
  • BigDuckBigDuck Posts: 4,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want some cheesy euro pop/dance that has a special dance to go with it.

I'm looking out for the next Macarena! :D
  • TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is 'good' a genre? If it is I'd like to see some of that in the charts.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    R&B needs to make a comeback. Sick of too many R&B artists going all dance like Kelly rowland, Ne-Yo etc
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jay Bigz wrote: »
    For me, I miss real soul music, and traditional R'n'B - beautiful arrangements, and harmonies, with touching chords, and powerful vibes.

Me too. It is out there but it isn't popular in the mainstream for some unfathomable reason. The terms seem to be used to describe very watered down, soul/r&b influenced pop these days and it makes me a bit sad tbh
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    BigDuck wrote: »
    I want some cheesy euro pop/dance that has a special dance to go with it.

I'm looking out for the next Macarena! :D

Although it wasn't European, we already had that in a way with Gangnam Style.
  • TranceClubberTranceClubber Posts: 2,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would love to see a mixture of Trip Hop , Down Tempo and some uplifting feel good Dance tunes again just like what we had from (1999 to 2006) :)
  • BigDuckBigDuck Posts: 4,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although it wasn't European, we already had that in a way with Gangnam Style.

Yeah, we did have Gangnam style, and it was great to see that!

But I feel the time is right for once of those summer tunes, that everyone listens to holiday, and learns the dance to. Which in the past has always been done best in the Euro Pop genre.
  • Jay BigzJay Bigz Posts: 5,338
    Forum Member
    R&B needs to make a comeback. Sick of too many R&B artists going all dance like Kelly rowland, Ne-Yo etc

Agreed - it's the labels that make these artists to do it though. They are forced to stay 'current' and keep up with 'trends'.

I think it's easy to blame the artists for selling out, but then it's a double edged sword really, because like most other jobs, if your boss demands something, you have to do it, or face the consequences....
    Forum Member
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Me too. It is out there but it isn't popular in the mainstream for some unfathomable reason. The terms seem to be used to describe very watered down, soul/r&b influenced pop these days and it makes me a bit sad tbh

Definitely - business men are ruining music.

The youth of today listen to what they're told is hot. I would bet my life that teenagers and young adults would enjoy the sounds of bygone eras, if they were presented and packaged accordingly.

Music has been around for 100's of years. There's countless amounts of instruments, and 100's of chords, and progressions that can be used to create beautiful music - I'm not sure who, or what, decided that we should now disregard centuries worth of styles of music because it's too 'dated' to be popular - what do we get in replacement? A few idiots tapping a few keys, or chopping a few samples, to produce LOUD, synth based, rubbish, because it's 'trendy' and 'cool' and thats what people want - reality check, it's not.

A quick story - As a music producer, and artist myself, I played some of my stuff to my sister - her comment was 'it's good, and I like it, but it sounds like how music used to sound, don't you want to keep up with the times?' - My answer was 'no', and the comment was the biggest compliment I could hope for :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 229
    Forum Member

That damn David Guetta started this. Kelly, Neyo, usher, Jennifer Hudson. it's just so unneeded
    Forum Member
    Sky_Fire wrote: »
    That damn David Guetta started this. Kelly, Neyo, usher, Jennifer Hudson. it's just so unneeded

Usher used to make really cool music - I think confessions (2004) was his last good album, although abit ropey in parts. Really enjoyed '8701' from 2001.

I think 2005/2006 was a real turning point for urban music (R'n'B, Soul, Hip Hop) and it's place in the mainstream. From about 2007, I lost interest in all current music, and all my favourite artists completely, because everything from that point was just rubbish - so I began a journey of collecting as many albums as I could from the 60's, 70's, 80's and early 90's - After experiencing all that great music it completely changed the way I view music, and explains the way I feel about current music in comparison.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 229
    Forum Member
    I agree 100% jay about the turning point for r&b, soul. I feel Justin Timberlake's album may help change that judging from his latest songs. The irony is Robin Thicke has been making the EXACT same type of music but is nowhere near as popular.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Traditional R&B and Soul need to make a comeback big time. I was so disappointed how Ne-yo hyped up his album as bringing back R&B saying that it is a 100% R&B album then releases Let Me Love You. Like, wtf?
    Forum Member
    I agree 100% jay about the turning point for r&b, soul. I feel Justin Timberlake's album may help change that judging from his latest songs. The irony is Robin Thicke has been making the EXACT same type of music but is nowhere near as popular.

Hope so - he's definitely influential enough to make an impact. Talented guy, both musically, and as a performer (was really surprised by his acting ability)
    sjp07 wrote: »
    Traditional R&B and Soul need to make a comeback big time. I was so disappointed how Ne-yo hyped up his album as bringing back R&B saying that it is a 100% R&B album then releases Let Me Love You. Like, wtf?

LOL - never really been fan of a ne-yo, but I'm guessing once again, his label probably forced him to both make, and put that out, as the greedy gits want their dollars!

I think the problem is - you can have the greatest lyrics in the world, and an amazing voice, but if the backing music is not up to scratch, or complimenting the words, and emotions, it's going to fall on deaf ears.

I think people under-estimate the power of the sound within actual music (melodies, notes, rhythm, and chords) - it's no secret that certain notes, and progressions, on an instrument, like the piano for example, are almost designed to represent emotions, such as 'major' chords for happiness, 'minor' chords for sadness, half stepping to create 'scary' music, and so on...When labels just knock cheap crap together, it completely goes against everything music should, or was designed to be. As human beings, we're almost programmed to react a certain way to different sounds we hear, that induce certain emotions. An epic scene you remember from a movie, will almost certainly have the 'right' music to accompany it, which makes you remember it, because you 'felt' it.

I hope things change soon, and artists, and 'real' music lovers can take control of the music industry.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's really funny because the radio edit of Suit & Tie sounds exactly like a Robin Thicke record, but I can't really say any Robin record sounds like a Justin one. It's just similar types of music. Robin is pretty big in the urban scene in the US, but he has had only one mainstream hit on his own. He writes for a lot of people and his music is great. It only works for Justin because he is Justin Timberlake of NSYNC. It really has nothing to do with his music. He isn't any better than Robin. I think Robin enjoys where he is at anyway. You'd never see JT invited to perform at the BET awards or hip hop honors, but Robin Thicke does.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jay Bigz wrote: »

LOL - never really been fan of a ne-yo, but I'm guessing once again, his label probably forced him to both make, and put that out, as the greedy gits want their dollars!

The Ne-yo thing really bugs me more than it normally would because now he is the face of Motown. His record was supposed to be the comeback of Motown as a major label and that is what he puts out. Not to mention he has Smokey Robinson's old job from when he was at Motown.
    Forum Member
    The Ne-yo thing really bugs me more than it normally would because now he is the face of Motown. His record was supposed to be the comeback of Motown as a major label and that is what he puts out. Not to mention he has Smokey Robinson's old job from when he was at Motown.

Just downloaded and skimmed through the R.E.D album - Hmmmm, I must admit, there's a couple of pleasant sounding beats on there, but the face of Motown? Noooo way - there's nothing motown about that album at all. A couple of the old 3/4 style beats wouldn't have hurt, but there isn't any. I just can't connect with this dude as an artist either - just seems rather manufactured and insincere. Even the first track 'Cracks in Mr Perfect' seemed arrogant. Ok, admitting your flaws is admirable, but the way he did it was just contrived 'hey everyone, look at me, I'm admitting I've been a complete asshole - please praise my integrity, and deepness' for this.' - doesn't quite wash with me lol - abit of a rip off of Ushers confessions pt2 track aswell...(which was done far better than this)

Also had to include some housey dance beats too....Fair enough, but a complete turn off really. Motown artists put out entire of albums of their craft, doing what they know best - not trying to please 'everyone' for cash. Variation is good, when done properly. If you try to appeal to everybody, it takes away from your signature sound, and alienates fans - if we like something, or a certain style, we want to hear 'lots' of it - this way you can purchase an album and know what you're getting. Weird comparison, but it's like a bag of revels - if you don't like the coffee, or the raisins, but only the malteasers, you'd be better off buying a bag of malteasers :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    I much prefer Rnb from the 90's and before that. I couldn't stand the stuff post 2001 stuff. Guys like Ne-Yo and Usher, Justin Timberlake hurt my head.

Eminem I wish he would write more serious song he was so much better at that.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Traditional R&B

eh?.... traditional r&b ?... what do you mean by that? 1950's american black rhythm and blues? british rhythm and blues from the early/mid 60's? (that was inspired by the american sound).
  • dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guitar orientated music the likes of The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, 10CC, Free, Queen type stuff

Soul Music, the likes of George Benson, Alexander O'Neal, Luther Vandross, Jocelyn Brown types
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    I quite like dance music and electronic music, not necessarily the poppy stuff that's big now though. Think Madeon, Zedd, Azari & III, Katy B, Justice, Daft Punk, Rustie, SBTRKT, William Orbit. We're living in such a technological and electronic age, where real innovation is possible, and I think electronic music is where this could happen.

I'd also like to see a little bit more of some 90s-style R&B and Frank Ocean-y R&B.

Some good, unusual pop music would be amazing. Think Grimes, Jessie Ware, Lana Del Rey, Ellie Goulding, Foster the People, La Roux, The xx, Miike Snow.

I'd also be willing and glad to here more music from the following acts, provided that it was of a high quality, and not just generic, bland and unimaginative: Azealia Banks, Iggy Azalia, Brooke Candy, Bruno Mars, Calvin Harris, Florence + The Machine, Lady Gaga, Lily Allen, M.I.A., Madonna.
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eh?.... traditional r&b ?... what do you mean by that? 1950's american black rhythm and blues? british rhythm and blues from the early/mid 60's? (that was inspired by the american sound).

If those vintage styles of R'n'B crept their way back into the chart it would be brilliant.

If other vintage genres like Jazz, Swing, Rock 'n' Roll, Doo-wop, Surf, Psych and Punk did so also, it would be the icing on the cake.

Unlikely though, unfortunately. :cry:
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodger0703 wrote: »
    Guitar orientated music the likes of The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, 10CC, Free, Queen type stuff

Soul Music, the likes of George Benson, Alexander O'Neal, Luther Vandross, Jocelyn Brown types
    ^^ This!