What external drives work with the ps3 slim?

steveOooosteveOooo Posts: 5,001
Forum Member
So after getting the slim, I was delighted to find out it has issues with some external drives, by the looks of it, WD USB 3 drives.

See my moan here - http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-Technical-Help/New-Slim-wont-recognise-external-WD-2TB-USB-3-drive/m-p/18178036/highlight/false#M29361

I do want to keep the slim rather than return as faulty (more 'design flaw' than faulty, which of course sony deny any knowledge off!)

What external harddrive are you using with the Slim? Ideally I'm looking for a 2tb usb2 drive

Comments

• HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Currently I use a 320GB Maxtor drive on my Slim, I have also used couple of 500GB Maxtor drives but these are both formatted to NTFS and used on my PC.

Until putting it inside the slim a couple of months ago I was using a Western Digital 320GB drive in a USB case which I originally used to upgrade my old Phat 60GB. When I can get around to it I will be using the old 120GB drive from the Slim in the case the 320GB was in.
  • ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm currently using my old 500GB Samsung Spinpoint M2 as an external drive. That lived in my PS3 from 2008 - 2011.

I have never recommended a WD HDD to anyone whether it's for a PC or PS3 (just personal preference). If someone is looking for a 2.5" SATA, it's Samsung or Seagate. If they're after a 3.5" SATA, then usually all of the big names (Samsung, Seagate, Maxtor etc) except for WD.

The largest partition supported by FAT32 is 4TB however I have never tried connecting an external HDD larger than 1TB to a PS3 and mine is a launch model.
  • steveOooosteveOooo Posts: 5,001
    Forum Member
    Have tried formatting the drive on windows 7, using 3-4 apps to do so, the ps3 slim still doesn't recognise the drive?..,
  • steveOooosteveOooo Posts: 5,001
    Forum Member
    Any further drive recommendations?
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only issue I have had with external drives on my PS3 is one of the USB cases I uses never liked the PS3 for some reason, it was also dodgy when connected to the PC so I put it down to it been a shit case.

Sadly I have no idea what you problem is :( it sounds like you have tried all the obvious steps of using different software to format. (For the record I used the "Disc Utility" program on Ubuntu to format my drives).
  • cmooncmoon Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Doesn't the drive have to be formatted to the FAT32 file system before the PS3 will recognise it?