My iPad Suddenly Died

LysandarLysandar Posts: 1,240
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Abroad and my beloved iPad 3 died, screen went black, tried everything, pushing all buttons, putting on charger, nothing!!
I still had about 52% charge left.
Panic!!
Went into a PC Speciialist Shop, lucky to find one here in Crete, they simply did a 'restart. ie holding down the on/off button and at the same time, the Home button.
iPad immediately came back to life.
Greast, marvellous.
My question - why did it die in the first place? Is my iPad damaged in some way? Does it harm the iPad to do this restart?
Many thanks.
PS
I had never, in fact, heard of 'restart' perhaps I should have known this.

Comments

• psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All they did was rebooted it. Sounds like it had crashed. Rebooting is quite safe and doesn't lose data, and tablets do occasionally (but thankfully rarely!) need it. Nothing to worry about unless it needs rebooting regularly.

However it's a good idea to make sure it is backed up via iTunes and iCloud just in case.

If rebooting is needed regularly - the next thing to try is a total wipe and factory restore. But this is a drastic step.
  • Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was it in the sun too long if it got too hot it might of went into recovery.
  • LysandarLysandar Posts: 1,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many thanks.
    And, no, not in the sun too long.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's always good to try a reboot every now and then, even if you just think your tablet is getting a bit sluggish. But I'm surprised you hadn't read about it ?
    It's also useful to clear the history regularly, and the cookies and data a little less often. Delete old uwanted emails, and don't let those updates hang around for ever. Just general good housekeeping really.
    But I have no idea why it went blank on you, it's never happened to me and I flog mine to death every day. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's always good to try a reboot every now and then, even if you just think your tablet is getting a bit sluggish. But I'm surprised you hadn't read about it ?
    It's also useful to clear the history regularly, and the cookies and data a little less often. Delete old uwanted emails, and don't let those updates hang around for ever. Just general good housekeeping really.
    But I have no idea why it went blank on you, it's never happened to me and I flog mine to death every day. :)

Many thanks, Rich.
    Is your second para all that I should be doing in way of regular maintenance?
    Must say Apple manual isn't very good or it's me.:)

I flog mine to death as well.
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Might be your internal flash memory. It has limited lifetime which means your ipad has a limited lifetime.
  • ParkerParker Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Might be your internal flash memory. It has limited lifetime which means your ipad has a limited lifetime.

Even if there was something constantly writing/erasing data an iPad 3 should be new enough to not die out just yet!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parker wrote: »
    Even if there was something constantly writing/erasing data an iPad 3 should be new enough to not die out just yet!

Since rebooting after it died, my iPad3 has been absolutely fine.
    So my 'internal flash memory' must be OK.
    Excuse my appalling ignorance but is that a part which can be easily replaced?
    How limited lifespan? One, two, three years?
    My iPad is 18 months old.
  • Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lysandar wrote: »
    Since rebooting after it died, my iPad3 has been absolutely fine.
    So my 'internal flash memory' must be OK.
    Excuse my appalling ignorance but is that a part which can be easily replaced?
    How limited lifespan? One, two, three years?
    My iPad is 18 months old.

No it can't be replaced (at least not by you).

I'd say around 4-5 years and that's based on you constantly writing to your internal flash memory. If your an average user it will probably last longer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr. Cool wrote: »
    No it can't be replaced (at least not by you).

I'd say around 4-5 years and that's based on you constantly writing to your internal flash memory. If your an average user it will probably last longer.

When you say no, do you mean yes but only by an expert?
    Or does it mean a wholly new iPad?
    Sorry to be rhick.
  • Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you say no, do you mean yes but only by an expert?
    Or does it mean a wholly new iPad?
    Sorry to be rhick.

I mean it would have to go to Apple or be replaced by someone who is knowledgeable enough. I am 98% sure (even if you were knowledgeable) you still realistically couldn't do it though as it would require soldering and you'd also have to find an equivalent chip.

Just don't worry about it. It will probably be a good while yet (another few years) before you notice even a slight degradation in performance due to worn a out eMMC NAND chip.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr. Cool wrote: »
    I mean it would have to go to Apple or be replaced by someone who is knowledgeable enough. I am 98% sure (even if you were knowledgeable) you still realistically couldn't do it though as it would require soldering and you'd also have to find an equivalent chip.

Just don't worry about it. It will probably be a good while yet (another few years) before you notice even a slight degradation in performance due to worn a out eMMC NAND chip.

Thanks.
    I looked at iPad repairs and replacements etc. on You Tube.
    Hellishly diificult, and many special tools needed.
    Only for the highly qualified!
    Wonder why Jobs made the iPad so inaccessible and complicated?
    :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Was it contacted with water or in the sun for long time?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was it contacted with water or in the sun for long time?

No to both.
    Nothing untoward.
    Restarted in seconds, when, operative word being when, I knew how to restart it..
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many thanks, Rich.
    Is your second para all that I should be doing in way of regular maintenance?
    Must say Apple manual isn't very good or it's me.:)

I flog mine to death as well.

There are a number of free books you could download, some more useful than others. But there's also plenty of information online..very little in any product manual these days, but don't get me started in that. :)