o2 LTE speeds

danielmeahdanielmeah Posts: 461
Forum Member
Was wondering this morning about what speeds they will offer. could not find the info anywhere.

So I took to my speed test servers and I have found the info!.

Pretty impressive

Looks like they where done in Slough

http://i.imgur.com/fgD0iX2.png

Comments

• japauljapaul Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the speed is pretty much what you would expect for 10MHz given that there must be very few people using it. Those pings look good though.

As you said, this is near Slough where they are based but now that their coverage map shows 4G, although they are saying 3 cities (or for Vodafone just 1) it would seem that their definition of the city is quite wide. If this was EE then they would be claiming more towns and cities e.g EE (correctly I would say) has Slough listed as separate to London in their number of towns and cities total.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    japaul wrote: »
    I think the speed is pretty much what you would expect for 10MHz given that there must be very few people using it. Those pings look good though.

As you said, this is near Slough where they are based but now that their coverage map shows 4G, although they are saying 3 cities (or for Vodafone just 1) it would seem that their definition of the city is quite wide. If this was EE then they would be claiming more towns and cities e.g EE (correctly I would say) has Slough listed as separate to London in their number of towns and cities total.

In fairness that may be due to 800MHz and they have said they were doing blanket coverage.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Dat Ping! :eek:

Nice speeds to start off with.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First reports are starting to come through of speeds, and surprisingly are the opposite of what I was expected!

O2 - averaging 45Mbps download & 15Mbps upload
    Voda - averaging 10Mbps download & 2.5Mbps upload - some reporting speeds of only 8Mbps download and only 1 bar of signal wherever you are in London.

Have Voda rushed the rollout to launch the same date as O2 I wonder?
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    Impressed with the O2 speeds although nobody on it at the mo.
    When EE launched they were getting 30-35 mostly. Interesting that O2 showing over 40 considering the lower (slower) frequency.
    Vodafone probably just a glitch. I hope to god it's not their 4G network mimicking the shambles that is their 2&3G networks at the moment!
    Not sure its really possible to run 4G over outdated 90s kit! :)

It will be interesting to watch O2. They have a large chunk of 800 spectrum and if they roll out blanket, they could well end up with the best coverage by far.
    EE will need to make sure the 1800 is as dense as possible and then fill the gaps with 800 to compete (on coverage at least).
    Forum Member
    Sounds like Voda are just sorting everything out.

@Devon- bear in mind there is only like 2 people using O2 4G right now. (well you know what i mean) People on EE were getting 60mbps+ at the start of the their roll out.
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »

@Devon- bear in mind there is only like 2 people using O2 4G right now. (well you know what i mean) People on EE were getting 60mbps+ at the start of the their roll out.

This is true, I just added a bit to the end of my last post. You beat me to it! :)
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this is because no one is using it. Time will tell.

It'll be interesting to see how Three are since they will have over 1 million 4G customers at launch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seen some tests done today on Voda and they've all been in the range 30 - 50 Meg except one which was 57 down. If you look at the coverage map there is some significant 4G London holes still (although in fairness they do seem to fill in if you click the future in 3 months coverage). O2's map looks to have less London holes but it may just be a different model.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »

Its a bit like new road that has just opened and only a few cars know its opened and are able to use it. No congestion and fast speeds can be achieved.

Please note that O2 have the least amount of dedicated 4G spectrum out of all the networks 2 X 10MHz at 800MHz.

Anyone who is testing O2 4G can you report if they are still using Image Compression?
    Forum Member
    this is because no one is using it. Time will tell.

It'll be interesting to see how Three are since they will have over 1 million 4G customers at launch.

1.5m customers as of Jan 2014.
    Its a bit like new road that has just opened and only a few cars know its opened and are able to use it. No congestion and fast speeds can be achieved.

Anyone who is testing O2 4G can you report if they are still using Image Compression?

I'm guessing they still are. Gotta make that 100mb 4G allowance.... i mean 2GB allowance last some how :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Please note that O2 have the least amount of dedicated 4G spectrum out of all the networks 2 X 10MHz at 800MHz.

If I remember right if we going go completely factual

Three have the least at moment 2 x 5 MHz of 800MHz [2x10MHz of 1800MHz by end of next month and further 2x5MHz in Q4 2015].

O2 is 2x10MHz of 800MHz

Vodafone is 2x10MHz of 800MHz, 2x20MHz of 2600MHz and 1x25MHz of unpaired 2600MHz.

EE is 2x5MHz of 800MHz, 2x45MHz of 1800MHz [2x20MHz in use] and 2x35MHz of 2600MHz.

Pretty sure that is right.
  • wrexham103.4wrexham103.4 Posts: 3,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    o2's 4G coverage on the map is the same in as there 3G , in the same way as you have to zoom right in to see it. I wonder if when they start rolling out 'rapidly' they will let us see the whole country?
    Forum Member
    enapace wrote: »
    If I remember right if we going go completely factual

Three have the least at moment 2 x 5 MHz of 800MHz [2x10MHz of 1800MHz by end of next month and further 2x5MHz in Q4 2015].

O2 is 2x10MHz of 800MHz

Vodafone is 2x10MHz of 800MHz, 2x20MHz of 2600MHz and 1x25MHz of unpaired 2600MHz.

EE is 2x5MHz of 800MHz, 2x45MHz of 1800MHz [2x20MHz in use] and 2x35MHz of 2600MHz.

Pretty sure that is right.

Yeah that's about right I think.
    Since we know that 2x10 can do up to 60Mbps uncongested but around 25-40Mbps on a moderately loaded cell, does that mean EEs 2x5 would max out at around 30Mbps but generally do about 10-15Mbps?
    Meaning that Three will have a faster 800 network than EE?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    Since we know that 2x10 can do up to 60Mbps uncongested but around 25-40Mbps on a moderately loaded cell, does that mean EEs 2x5 would max out at around 30Mbps but generally do about 10-15Mbps?

Interesting point I hadn't considered that I think on 2x5MHz 800MHz we likely going get same but perhaps bit more reliable speeds and lower ping than we do on 2100MHz at moment. Just the benefit of having far greater range and indoor coverage. Probably EE will be faster than Three as Three are going have a lot of more customers on 4G at start.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any members forked out for O2 4G yet then? any speedtest.net screenshots and details of what it cost you to get 4G?
    What time was 4G turned on? I assumed it was going to be tonight.
    Forum Member
    Can someone explain the upgrade procedure for an existing customer with a 4G ready handset.

I can find no mention of this on the O2 website anywhere?
  • danielmeahdanielmeah Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Any members forked out for O2 4G yet then? any speedtest.net screenshots and details of what it cost you to get 4G?
    What time was 4G turned on? I assumed it was going to be tonight.

8PM i think

http://www.o2.co.uk/4g/launch-gigs
  • interactiv-ukinteractiv-uk Posts: 627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's been on since this morning. both O2.co.uk and the coverage checker were live when I looked at 6am...

Just need to get some coverage where I am. Shouldn't be long as most of the cells in this area have been replaced/updated in the last few weeks!
  • sethpetsethpet Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    Vodafone turned on just after midnight i think they said on news this morning
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC did some tests of the new 4G networks. Unfortunately due to coverage they did them on 3G. Well he does say it's not very scientific. Tech journalism at it's finest.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23878111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    japaul wrote: »
    The BBC did some tests of the new 4G networks. Unfortunately due to coverage they did them on 3G. Well he does say it's not very scientific. Tech journalism at it's finest.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23878111

Haha...
    But the real surprise was the smartphone on Three's network - which is not yet 4G. It provided a very impressive download speed of 21 Mbps. Three has been claiming that its souped-up 3.5G phone can give customers the 4G experience without needing a new phone or a more expensive contract
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    DevonBloke wrote: »

Devon: Not quite sure how you came to the conclusion that Three will have a faster 800 network than EE.. Three will actually have more phones active for LTE if they activate every sim as stated... Three's LTE equipped user base is larger than EE4G sign up... so in theory it would be more congested on Three's 800.

Not that it matters as both will only have 1800 LTE for a good while yet..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who's actually the fastest when we're talking over 30 Megs doesn't really matter to me. I'll be looking at price, reliability, data allowance, stuff like that.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Who's actually the fastest when we're talking over 30 Megs doesn't really matter to me. I'll be looking at price, reliability, data allowance, stuff like that.

Add coverage into that and I don't think anyone is going to argue with you. If we use the history of the 3G years as a base.. There are only two real options!