Multi-point access of 2x Sky boxes in one location

Hi all,

I am planning an installation and need your help / advice. We are moving into a house that currently has the Sky box in the study connected by long HDMI through the wall to the main TV in the lounge, controlled by magic eye, and shared via an RF DA in the loft to bedrooms and the kitchen, complete with magic eye controls in each. Obviously this is only analogue SD / not great quality and means everyone has to watch the same programme.

I would like to use 2x HD boxes so that different programmes can be watched in different rooms, IE wife watching dull period drama in the lounge, me watching footy in the spare bedroom. However, I am not allowed to drill any holes an the newly decorated walls or run 'unsightly' wires. So here is what I am thinking:

Put 2 Sky HD boxes in the study, connected to the 4LMB dish on the wall just outside. Connect each Sky box HDMI to a Juicebox sender to deliver HDMI around the ring main and stick a receiver at each point I want to watch HD Sky. I think this will work but how will I control the two boxes remotely? Can I use magic eyes on both boxes or will they intefere with each other as they share the same RF network? Even if they will work alongside each other I am going to have issues with having 2x magic eyes seeing the same remote IR signal as the remotes are not tethered to individual Sky boxes.

Any suggestions as to the best way to achieve this would be gratefuly received.

Thanks

Comments

• grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,453
    Forum Member
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    Juicebox sender is a nasty powerline device like homeplugs and should be avoided for the same reasons. You don't want to annoy your new neighbours with interference.

As long as your neighbour isn't Winston you'll be fine, he continually sprouts his interference nonsense every time someone mentions Homeplugs or similar.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Juicebox sender is a nasty powerline device like homeplugs and should be avoided for the same reasons. You don't want to annoy your new neighbours with interference.

The SPC4 unit looks interesting but of course it will only be SD via RF.

You really need to put your foot down and drill the holes (they can be made good afterwards) or run wires neatly.

You don't have to use the RF PAL output from the Sky Boxes , the unit allows you to control multiple Sky boxes using an existing Magic Eye installation. No reason why you can't use alternative means of sending the video and audio
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Thanks Guys,

I like the SPC4; just thejob for the control part of my requirements, cheers Nigel I am not sure about Winston's steer away from powerline kit. I have all my home automation and internet access using powerline-based solutions. My current neighbour has a very similar setup (network and AV). I am not aware of any problems between us and we are semi-detatched. It was him that pointed me in tye direction of Jucebox, which gets pretty good reviews of 1080i up to 30m. Can you tell me more pease?
    Forum Member
    boggie wrote: »
    Can you tell me more pease?

Powerline adaptors are perfectly legal for use in the UK, but under certain rare and specific circumstances can cause interference to a nearby radio ham - and that's about it.

Winston has this bee in his bonnet for some reason?, and has repeatedly posted links that actually disprove what he claims, and instead prove that the supposed 'problem' is extremely small.
    Forum Member
    Nigel for some reason does not accept established and proven facts.

It's rather you who doesn't, ALL the official links you've provided prove exactly the opposite to what you keep claiming.

Boggie you may not be aware of problems, but I assure you they are there. Read this link thoroughly.

http://www.ban-plt.co.uk

Is this Winstons personal website? :p

If not it must be a close friend, and is just a personal site with someone's personal opinions - all the official sites say any problems are miniscule.
    Forum Member
    Why can't you accept the proven facts?

Because what you claim aren't proven facts - the 'proven facts', which YOU have posted links to show that there are almost no problems in the UK, and the few that that do occur are almost all to radio amateurs.
    Forum Member
    I keep telling you it is nothing to do with radio amateurs, their frequencies are notched out.

Yet almost all (if not ALL? - I haven't seen any mention of any non-radio ham complaints) of the tiny number of complaints have been from radio amateurs - as you obviously know nothing about how radio works why do you keep posting your incorrect ideas?.
    Forum Member
    Perhaps people who have been getting interference have approached their nearby radio ham thinking he is causing it. The helpful ham then puts in a complaint on their behalf.

Perhaps you should try reading the links you post?.

Why do you think I know nothing about how radio works? I achieved 98% in radio communication when I took my HND many years ago.

Mainly because you expect 'notching' frequencies out to completely eliminate the signal :p