what does a white poppy mean

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,122
Forum Member
Nicole is wearing one

Comments

• DoubleOrchidDoubleOrchid Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    It is used to signify peace, although it is also linked to conscientous objectors. I prefer to put think of the first meaning, although I also believe that Rememberance Sunday should be about remembering those that have died in all of the wars and therefore the red one should be worn at this time of year.....
  • twsstwss Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    Pretty much "thanks for putting your lives at risk for us but I'd rather we didn't go around the world starting fights".
  • etamineetamine Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're remembering the people who died but you don't agree with going to war.

It's a nice message but I don't think the people wearing red enjoy war any more than the ones wearing white.
  • PorkchopExpressPorkchopExpress Posts: 5,534
    Forum Member
    It is used to signify peace, although it is also linked to conscientous objectors. I prefer to put think of the first meaning, although I also believe that Rememberance Sunday should be about remembering those that have died in all of the wars and therefore the red one should be worn at this time of year.....

I don't like the military, and I don't like war. I detest the annual celebration and glorification of war that the Poppy drivel has become.

Remembrance itself has it's place, but when it becomes indulgent, mawkish, jingoistic and agenda driven I don't want to know. And there should come a time when people move on and stop "remembering".

This year's poppy drivel has been more low key in the media than in recent years. A welcome development and hopefully a sign of things to come.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    It means you don't like Haigian politics.
  • twsstwss Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    The glorification of our Armed Forces was brought into perspective yesterday.
    Forum Member
    I don't like the military, and I don't like war. I detest the annual celebration and glorification of war that the Poppy drivel has become.

Remembrance itself has it's place, but when it becomes indulgent, mawkish, jingoistic and agenda driven I don't want to know. And there should come a time when people move on and stop "remembering".

This year's poppy drivel has been more low key in the media than in recent years. A welcome development and hopefully a sign of things to come.

Stop remembering? What about the people that are out in Afghanistan right now, that have died this year, is it time for us to stop remembering them too? I have a huge amount of respect for the military, I served in the Army for 7 years, I have lost friends and one of my soldiers who I commanded, but no-one "likes" war.
    The rememberance parades, and the Festival of Rememberance on tonight, is not mawkish, but if viewed in an open minded way is also uplifting to some.
  • AMS13AMS13 Posts: 1,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The poppy is a symbol of remembering those that died for our freedom and those that are still dying for the freedom of others. I hope I never forget or take for granted what the men and women in the Forces are prepared to sacrifice for those that sent them to war. One such person who comes to mind is Lee Rigby....
  • Leanne 83Leanne 83 Posts: 344
    Forum Member

Are you actually serious. It's not about celebration of war but of bravery. Defending your country and everyone in it watching your friends murdered and having to murder. The stress, the fear, the longing to be with your family and children never knowing if you would see them again! They didn't start a war they defended their people the way a mother would defend a child. They lost their lives trying to protect and I am honored to wear my poppy.
  • Malc LondonMalc London Posts: 2,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Men, women and children starved then sent to gas chambers. Lamp shades made out of their skin. The red poppy signifies the debt owed to the people who sacrificed their lives to stop it.

The white poppy says they are glad it stopped, but wouldn't do anything to stop it.

Equivalent to a white feather.
  • patricia50patricia50 Posts: 3,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not a "celebration or glorification" of war. It's called remembrance day for self evident reasons. It's when we remember the thousands and thousands who have died and being able to have freedom to speak and give our opinions about anything let alone on a forum is a direct result of people who have fought to allow us that right in this country. We should never "move on and stop remembering" rather we should thank our lucky stars everyday that we have the freedom we have. I'm honoured to wear my poppy too.
    Forum Member
    Stop remembering? What about the people that are out in Afghanistan right now, that have died this year, is it time for us to stop remembering them too? I have a huge amount of respect for the military, I served in the Army for 7 years, I have lost friends and one of my soldiers who I commanded, but no-one "likes" war.
    The rememberance parades, and the Festival of Rememberance on tonight, is not mawkish, but if viewed in an open minded way is also uplifting to some.

See, this is exactly what people mean by politicisation of the Poppy. Using it as a propoganda tool for the current armed forces and their adventures abroad.

I'm not interested in the military in Afghanistan. I don't want them there, I didn't send them there and I'm not happy about the things they do there. The Poppy certainly isn't worn to remember the lives of Afghan civilians killed by the UK military.

You chose to be a soldier. That doesn't give you any right to expect my respect.
    Forum Member
    Men, women and children starved then sent to gas chambers. Lamp shades made out of their skin. The red poppy signifies the debt owed to the people who sacrificed their lives to stop it.

The white poppy says they are glad it stopped, but wouldn't do anything to stop it.

Very well put!
    Forum Member
    AMS13 wrote: »
    The poppy is a symbol of remembering those that died for our freedom and those that are still dying for the freedom of others. I hope I never forget or take for granted what the men and women in the Forces are prepared to sacrifice for those that sent them to war. One such person who comes to mind is Lee Rigby....

I don't want UK soldiers sacrificing their lives in Afghanistan, or Iraq. I'm not keen on them killing people in these countries either.
    Forum Member
    Leanne 83 wrote: »
    Very well put!
    Except nobody who wears a white poppy or who chooses not to wear a poppy is opposed to UK military involvment in WWII, so it's not really very well put.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    nvm...
    Forum Member
    See, this is exactly what people mean by politicisation of the Poppy. Using it as a propoganda tool for the current armed forces and their adventures abroad.

I'm not interested in the military in Afghanistan. I don't want them there, I didn't send them there and I'm not happy about the things they do there. The Poppy certainly isn't worn to remember the lives of Afghan civilians killed by the UK military.

You chose to be a soldier. That doesn't give you any right to expect my respect.

You are right, I did choose to join the Army. Not for any particularly patriotic notion, more because as I grew up loving sport and following uni I hated the idea of getting a job in an office, so took a role that allowed me to have sport and an outdoor lifestyle and travel as part of my working life. But I am also very proud of what I did in the Army.
    I also, neither expect or ask for your respect. Respect is earned, and we do not know each other so why should you respect me?

I think we should agree to disagree, for me personally, the poppy is a symbol of remembrance of what people have done for this country past and present, but for you it is something else entirely, that is fine, it is a benefit of us all being able to hold our own opinions.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well said. I'd rather people didn't wear a poppy at all than wear a white one, it's an insult to those to whom we owe a huge debt of thanks.
  • icic Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Then you have no idea of what the Poppy represents .You should go educate yourself .
    Forum Member
    You are right, I did choose to join the Army. Not for any particularly patriotic notion, more because as I grew up loving sport and following uni I hated the idea of getting a job in an office, so took a role that allowed me to have sport and an outdoor lifestyle and travel as part of my working life. But I am also very proud of what I did in the Army.
    I also, neither expect or ask for your respect. Respect is earned, and we do not know each other so why should you respect me?

I think we should agree to disagree, for me personally, the poppy is a symbol of remembrance of what people have done for this country past and present, but for you it is something else entirely, that is fine, it is a benefit of us all being able to hold our own opinions.

No problem.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's important to remember the war, and the poppy is a symbol of that remembrance, but I do agree that in the past ten years or so, it's been used in some quarters as a pro-war symbol to justify the far-flung misadventures in the Middle East and Central Asia.

The brutal truth is that soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan have not been dying for our freedom. These are futile struggles that have harmed us more than helped us. Remembering the Great War and the wars since should instill in people a reluctance to go to war, to remind people that blood is precious and it must not be spilled carelessly.

When I see the Poppy, I'm reminded of Wilfred Owen.

The old Lie; Dulce et Decorum est pro patria mori (it is sweet and right to die for your country).
    Forum Member

There is a difference between giving respect and showing disrespect. Just because you dont respect them doesn't mean you have to disrespect them even if you dont agree with what they did. At the end of it all, men died fighting for what they truly believed was right.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,122
    Forum Member

Agreed
    Forum Member
    Leanne 83 wrote: »
    There is a difference between giving respect and showing disrespect. Just because you dont respect them doesn't mean you have to disrespect them even if you dont agree with what they did. At the end of it all, men died fighting for what they truly believed was right.

The UK military has killed thousands of civilians in these countries, countries which at no time attacked or threatened the UK. I actively disrespect those who have gone to Iraq and Afghanistan and killed people, on order, in exchange for payment.

What's wrong with that?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree.