Weekend Television

spudatospudato Posts: 1,596
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What a load of c**p,can't we have drama's etc instead of mind numbing the Voice etc.>:(

Comments

• darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Back in the day I used to love the likes of Airwolf and The A-Team at the weekend. No chance of that now.
  • BluejuBlueju Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spudato wrote: »
    What a load of c**p,can't we have drama's etc instead of mind numbing the Voice etc.>:(

Don't think theyd ever comtemplate putting drama on at prime time Saturday night in The Voice slot...it couldn't try to compete with Ant n Dec's type audience figures. They tend to shoehorn most weekend serial drama into Sunday evenings a la Cranford/Midwife/Downton stuff. I agree with you theres not much choice if you don't like the current menu.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet Saturday and Sunday night shows get some of the biggest audiences of the week suggesting a lot of people don't agree with you.

Anyhow here's an ITV schedule from Sunday July 26, 1981:

6.00 ITN News
    6.15 Appeal by Patrick Moore on behalf of Refresh
    6.20 Moses - The Lawgiver (TV film starring Burt Lancaster)
    7.15 Prince Charles talks about the Transglobe Expedition
    7.45 Vegas (US series)
    8.40 Bless Me Father - comedy with Arthur Lowe as a priest
    9.10 Tales of the Unexpected starring Andrew Ray,Elaine Paige
    9.45 ITN News
    9.55 Noddy(drama about a backward boy) A practical joke backfires
    10.55 The New Avengers
    11.50 Faith for Life
    11.56 Close
  • Tom_MullenTom_Mullen Posts: 893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spudato wrote: »

Agree 100% it really is awful, just rubbish like the voice and ant and dec's Saturday night takeaway. All the best TV is always during the week, I'm not really sure why they feel the need for saturday night tv in particular to be completely different to the rest of the week.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    Yet Saturday and Sunday night shows get some of the biggest audiences of the week suggesting a lot of people don't agree with you.

Anyhow here's an ITV schedule from Sunday July 26, 1981:

6.00 ITN News
    6.15 Appeal by Patrick Moore on behalf of Refresh
    6.20 Moses - The Lawgiver (TV film starring Burt Lancaster)
    7.15 Prince Charles talks about the Transglobe Expedition
    7.45 Vegas (US series)
    8.40 Bless Me Father - comedy with Arthur Lowe as a priest
    9.10 Tales of the Unexpected starring Andrew Ray,Elaine Paige
    9.45 ITN News
    9.55 Noddy(drama about a backward boy) A practical joke backfires
    10.55 The New Avengers
    11.50 Faith for Life
    11.56 Close

That looks better to me, especially Bless Me Father, Tales Of The Unexpected and The New Avengers, than most of the crud ITV put out now.

Tonight they've got :

News
    Dancing On Ice
    Mr Selfridge
    News
    Birds Of A Feather
    Football
    Rugby

- none of which interests me in the slightest.
  • Lisa_NaylorLisa_Naylor Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Voice bores me to close to tears. I was stuck in last night so I resorted to watching Saturday Night Take Away. That had some entertainment value. But then I turned over to The Voice and I couldn't last more than five minutes. I can't stand those talent shows. It's the TV equivalent of brain death.

I honestly don't understand the appeal of them. It's the same sort of thing every time.
  • A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well another weekend and another thread that TV isn't " tailored" to one persons likes and dislikes

The Voice is highly successful, seven million watched last night on a quite warm night against seven million on ITV..

Some other Saturday night shows can't even get two million.

A drama on ITV Friday night was under one and a half million.

The BBC has had an excellent start yo the year on Drama there is a lot about and the BBC takes up most of the top drama ratings slots.

There is a lot of choice, there are hundreds of channels and IPlayer if you do not want to watch it turn over.

It's always the same few moaning and dictating to the rest what we should watch,

After The voice last night was a great episode of Casualty a drama, so there is a mix.

There is a lot of sport on this afternoon, I do not like it but I do not complain as there are alternatives and everyone's tastes need to be covered.

Going back a few years, from January to August it was Saturday night at the movies shoeing true grit snd batman, people forget that and only recall The Two Ronnie's and Mike Yarwood.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A.D.P wrote: »
    Well another weekend and another thread that TV isn't " tailored" to one persons likes and dislikes

The Voice is highly successful, seven million watched last night on a quite warm night against seven million on ITV..

Some other Saturday night shows can't even get two million.

The BBC has had an excellent start yo the year on Drama there is a lot about and the BBC takes up most of the top drama ratings slots.

There is a lot of choice, there are hundreds of channels and IPlayer if you do not want to watch it turn over.

I think a chunk of those ratings have to do with lack of real choice. I know I only watched a few minutes of The Voice because the choice was limited. It's a lot of repeats and old stuff on other channels. If you want fresh UK TV you don't get many options on a Saturday night. Talent shows have killed weekend TV for me.
  • HoffmisterHoffmister Posts: 11,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bring back Wogan ...

Nah .. Top Gear is my only watch tonight..
  • Fish_and_ChipsFish_and_Chips Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose someone will mention ratings, and say this programme must be ok because 7 million watch it. But I think that's no measure of quality sometimes I think it might even be the opposite.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose someone will mention ratings, and say this programme must be ok because 7 million watch it. But I think that's no measure of quality sometimes I think it might even be the opposite.

You have to consider how long these shows are on. The Voice was on for 2 hours last night :o At prime time. It's inevitable that TV viewers would often end up watching that or Ant & Dec on ITV1 for 1hr 20 mins. They are the most watched channels in general. Peoples habit of that being the case adds to the ratings IMO. I find it difficult to believe every person watching is doing it willingly. And some aren't doing it because they're in the house and have nothing better to do.
  • Fish_and_ChipsFish_and_Chips Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it difficult to believe every person watching is doing it willingly. And some aren't doing it because they're in the house and have nothing better to do.
    True, I reckon a lot of it is laziness, people can't be bothered to try other options and just need to be spoon fed.
  • aquasplash3aquasplash3 Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a good time to watch DVD's or stuff you've recorded in the week.

Weekend tv has always been a bit rubbish. When I was a kid there was dross like Baywatch, Gladiators and Blind Date etc
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturday night TV is mostly awful. I do look forward to The X Factor each year though, but even that was losing its shine for me last year. The Americans is back on ITV next week - that's a good drama.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about this then, I can remember in 1979 getting up for Tiswas, then World of Sport, Final Score, Basil Brush, Doctor Who, Secret Army, The Generation Game, Mike Yarwood and Parkinson, all hugely popular and well loved shows that people still comment on. What do you get now, talent contests that if they vanished tomorrow no one would give a damn about, joyless Casualty, yet another bloody You've Been Framed, lottery game shows and some reality rubbish.
  • elle77elle77 Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    Sunday for me is not so bad at the moment with Call the Midwife and Mr Selfridge but I agree that Saturday is rubbish with The Voice, Ant n Dec, Casualty, The Cube etc which is why I spend it catching up with programmes that I have recorded during the week
  • Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elle77 wrote: »
    Sunday for me is not so bad at the moment with Call the Midwife and Mr Selfridge but I agree that Saturday is rubbish with The Voice, Ant n Dec, Casualty, The Cube etc which is why I spend it catching up with programmes that I have recorded during the week

:D Horses for courses. Sunday is a weak night for me.
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    God no more blahh twee sunday night dramas for old grannies please. I hate reality ITV TV as much as anyone, but I also cant stand some drama about an old rich fart and her castle or "mr twiddlebottom, the southern gentleman detective" that passes for Sunday night tv. Guess they cant have anything that gives Aunt Ida a fright in her ticker coming home from church can they?
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A.D.P wrote: »

If the drama on ITV was Edge of Heaven, its a wonder its getting any viewers.
    If someone only has freeview and doesn't have a smart TV there are not hundreds of channels.
    I only watch iPlayer on my computer if its something that I am gutted I missed.

Yes I can watch DVD's or do something else, but a lot of people just want something different and decent without flicking relentlessly on their remote.

At the moment If I want a lazy effort free slouch in front of the TV on a Saturday, I watch 3-2-1, celebrity squares and Stars in Their Eyes on Challenge.
    Old crap but a lot easier to watch than the wailing and screeching on the Voice and the poor man's Morcambe and Wise that are Ant and Dec.

Looking forward to Catchphrase coming back next Sunday though.:) Rude suggestion time again.
  • conceptasconceptas Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the drama on ITV was Edge of Heaven, its a wonder its getting any viewers.
    If someone only has freeview and doesn't have a smart TV there are not hundreds of channels.
    I only watch iPlayer on my computer if its something that I am gutted I missed.

Yes I can watch DVD's or do something else, but a lot of people just want something different and decent without flicking relentlessly on their remote.

At the moment If I want a lazy effort free slouch in front of the TV on a Saturday, I watch 3-2-1, celebrity squares and Stars in Their Eyes on Challenge.
    Old crap but a lot easier to watch than the wailing and screeching on the Voice and the poor man's Morcambe and Wise that are Ant and Dec.

Looking forward to Catchphrase coming back next Sunday though.:) Rude suggestion time again.

I only have freeview and can't get all the channels (have 15 channels), have never watched X Factor, Big Brother and there is no way I'm going to watch Ant n Dec, I really do not know what the appeal is with these 2 ?! Must be appealing to women.
    Weekend telly has always been a hit and a miss affair but I just turn the telly off when theres nowt worth watching. :)
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hoffmister wrote: »
    Bring back Wogan ...

Nah .. Top Gear is my only watch tonight..

Was Wogan ever on Saturday nights ?