Any way to calibrate the Wii controller?

Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
Forum Member
Back in the mists of time I had a Playstation (before it was even called a PS1) and my favourite game was Time Crisis.

When it started up you could "calibrate" the light-gun by aiming at on-screen targets and firing so that the game knew what point on the screen related to a particular point of aim.

The Wii doesn't seem to have any kind of similar feature (on any of the light-gun games I have, at least) the point of aim is always roughly half a screen too high or too low, depending on whether the sensor bar is on the top or bottom of the telly.

Might sound a bit petty but it kind defeats the object of using a light gun if you can't actually aim down the sights and, instead, you just have to wave the gun around and rely on an on-screen crosshair to show the point of aim.

So, is there any way to adjust the point of aim for the Wii controller or are there any Time-Crisis style games that offer this facility?

Or, alternatively, am I going to have to modify the sights on my light-gun so they co-witness the on-screen crosshair?

Comments

• -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Ghost Squad, House of the Dead 2+3 Return & House of the Dead Overkill all have calibration settings where you shoot at the targets.
    Other non-Sega games have different sorts of calibration where you adjust sliders.
  • BinaryDadBinaryDad Posts: 3,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Back in the mists of time I had a Playstation (before it was even called a PS1) and my favourite game was Time Crisis.

When it started up you could "calibrate" the light-gun by aiming at on-screen targets and firing so that the game knew what point on the screen related to a particular point of aim.

The Wii doesn't seem to have any kind of similar feature (on any of the light-gun games I have, at least) the point of aim is always roughly half a screen too high or too low, depending on whether the sensor bar is on the top or bottom of the telly.

Might sound a bit petty but it kind defeats the object of using a light gun if you can't actually aim down the sights and, instead, you just have to wave the gun around and rely on an on-screen crosshair to show the point of aim.

So, is there any way to adjust the point of aim for the Wii controller or are there any Time-Crisis style games that offer this facility?

Or, alternatively, am I going to have to modify the sights on my light-gun so they co-witness the on-screen crosshair?

Where is your sensor bar, and what have you set the position to in the Wii Menu?

If you have the bar on top of the TV, but the system settings have it set as being "below", this an cause some accuracy issues.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    BinaryDad wrote: »
    Where is your sensor bar, and what have you set the position to in the Wii Menu?

If you have the bar on top of the TV, but the system settings have it set as being "below", this an cause some accuracy issues.

Yep, tried all that.

I'm guessing that the Wii targets the sensor bar, itself, rather than also applying a vertical offset to account for the size of the telly screen.
    You'd think they might have set up some kind of "screen calibration" function in the system menu's somewhere but I'm guessing, perhaps, the calibration would change depending on the player's position relative to the telly.

I did think about building a pair of small IR LEDs and positioning them at the mid-point on either side of the screen but, from what I've read, if you put the sensor LEDs 30-odd inches apart it'd make for a playing distance of 50ft from the screen.

Just getting back into playing with my Wii and this was always something which has bugged me so I wondered if there was some way to fix the problem.

I think I'll just modify the sights on the light gun though.
    Seems like the simplest solution (even if it is a bit of a bodge).

Thanks for the suggestions though. Ghost squad IS on my shopping list. :)