Virgin media packages and how much?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
Forum Member
Hi I wanted to ask what virgin media packages people are on and how much do they cost?

I have got medium phone, V+ HD xl tv and 10mb broadband. I am not happy with my broadband speed and im not due to be upgraded until next year. When I called VM to ask about getting a larger broadband they told me I would have to pay an extra £18 per month. They say I get a large discount already.

I am already paying £41.29 for my package and wondered if there are any better offers

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VHD XL - 10mb BB. M Phone, so slightly less than you, and I pay £45.40 - I too am supposed to be on a fantastic permanent deal since the Sky 1 fiasco.

We are all getting it in the pooper-shooter, me a little more than you.
  • Toby53Toby53 Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Ernie_CErnie_C Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doomy wrote: »
    VHD XL - 10mb BB. M Phone, so slightly less than you, and I pay £45.40 - I too am supposed to be on a fantastic permanent deal since the Sky 1 fiasco.

We are all getting it in the pooper-shooter, me a little more than you.

...and just why do you think that you should be on a permanently discounted price because of the Sky1 'fiasco' which was resolved many, many moons ago?

If you are unhappy with the price you are paying, do as so many have been recommended before and discuss your options with the 'I am leaving' option people. If you can't negotiate a mutually agreeable price then go elsewhere.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ernie_C wrote: »
    ...and just why do you think that you should be on a permanently discounted price because of the Sky1 'fiasco' which was resolved many, many moons ago?
    Because that was what was offered me by retentions when I called to complain. They promised a permanent deal, that at the time gave me a decent deal. Seems to me that during one of the "price restructurings" that deal has been renagued on, I cant tell, they obscure the bill too much for a normal person to follow.
  • Nick_LondonNick_London Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    nikki702 wrote: »
    Hi I wanted to ask what virgin media packages people are on and how much do they cost?

I have got medium phone, V+ HD xl tv and 10mb broadband. I am not happy with my broadband speed and im not due to be upgraded until next year. When I called VM to ask about getting a larger broadband they told me I would have to pay an extra £18 per month. They say I get a large discount already.

I am already paying £41.29 for my package and wondered if there are any better offers

They wouldn't give me any decent retentional deals so I split my services between BT and Sky and my phone bill is so much cheaper

BT line rental,BT Broadband(12mb at its lowest) and unlimited anytime calls to UK landlines and 0845 and 0870 numbers plus with free caller display and BT Answer comes to £23.75 per month, I do not pay by direct debit so they charge me an extra £1.80 per month

I have Sky entertainment extra with HD which costs £25 plus Sky Movies collection for an extra £8 for the first 3 months and an extra box(Multiroom) for £10.25 and now get some of the channels I was missing all in one place.

So for:

BT line rental
    Unlimited Anytime calls
    Caller Display
    BT Answer
    BT Broadband (up to 16mb)
    Sky Entertainment Extra HD
    Sky Movies Collection
    Sky Multiroom(1 HD box)

So in total I pay: £67 per month

With Virgin Media I was paying £83(with Sky movies collection) before any 0845/0870 call charges and they also charged me £5 per month for not paying by direct debit

When my contract is up with BT, I will ask them for the same contract to be re-newed but upgrade the Broadband to Infinity for the same price I paying now.

I do miss Catch up tv as well TV on demand, however BT have offered the basic package of BT Vision for £4 plus free box which I could put in a 3rd room.

The Sky movies offer for £8 per month will expire in 2 months and I will cancel it, and therefore I will be paying £59 per month for all of my TV,internet and phone services or £63 if I add BT Vision
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,025
    Forum Member

Phone up Customer Relations and negotiate a deal

I am only paying £4 a month extra for Size XL TV having been on Size M (Starter) TV for about 2 years, since it came out in former NTL areas,
    now I have got 1TB Tivo boxes so they upgraded my TV pack for me, was on the highest Phone and Broadband packages anyway, so those did not change

In Virgin's Booklet I got last week, it says if you take out or upgrade to 60MB or 100MB Broadband you can take out the Size XL Phone package for £5 a month extra
    instead of £8 a month currently - a saving of £3 a month
    Forum Member
    They wouldn't give me any decent retentional deals so I split my services between BT and Sky and my phone bill is so much cheaper

BT line rental,BT Broadband(12mb at its lowest) and unlimited anytime calls to UK landlines and 0845 and 0870 numbers plus with free caller display and BT Answer comes to £23.75 per month, I do not pay by direct debit so they charge me an extra £1.80 per month

I have Sky entertainment extra with HD which costs £25 plus Sky Movies collection for an extra £8 for the first 3 months and an extra box(Multiroom) for £10.25 and now get some of the channels I was missing all in one place.

So for:

BT line rental
    Unlimited Anytime calls
    Caller Display
    BT Answer
    BT Broadband (up to 16mb)
    Sky Entertainment Extra HD
    Sky Movies Collection
    Sky Multiroom(1 HD box)

So in total I pay: £67 per month

With Virgin Media I was paying £83(with Sky movies collection) before any 0845/0870 call charges and they also charged me £5 per month for not paying by direct debit

When my contract is up with BT, I will ask them for the same contract to be re-newed but upgrade the Broadband to Infinity for the same price I paying now.

I do miss Catch up tv as well TV on demand, however BT have offered the basic package of BT Vision for £4 plus free box which I could put in a 3rd room.

The Sky movies offer for £8 per month will expire in 2 months and I will cancel it, and therefore I will be paying £59 per month for all of my TV,internet and phone services or £63 if I add BT Vision

You forgot to mention that Sky charges an extra £10.25 a month for their HD channels making the Entertainment Extra pack £35.25 a month and NOT £25 a month
  • Tom123Tom123 Posts: 1,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's currently an offer for new customers: Free HD pack for 3 months.

Virgin's major drawback are the high phone charges (if you use your phone). I guess it all depends what's important for you personally and how you configure your services
    Forum Member
    Tom123 wrote: »
    There's currently an offer for new customers: Free HD pack for 3 months.

Virgin's major drawback are the high phone charges (if you use your phone). I guess it all depends what's important for you personally and how you configure your services

I have the Virgin Add-Ons added to my Phone Line and I do not pay anything now for my Calls, I use a very clever way of Dialling International Numbers
    so that I do not need the Talk International Add-On and still get these Calls Free of ANY Charges, you just need to use your head

Other Posters on here the 18185 Number I think it is for their calls
  • Tom123Tom123 Posts: 1,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which if you add it all up works out more expensively if you actually use your phone a lot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I am going to ring them today and see what they say, I hardly use my landline phone, I am more concerned about the broadband and making sure I have the kids channels for my daughter :)
    Forum Member
    I am going to ring them today and see what they say, I hardly use my landline phone, I am more concerned about the broadband and making sure I have the kids channels for my daughter :)

Phone up Virgin Customer Retentions up and ask them to put Baby TV in the Size XL TV pack like I did, it will save you £3.50 a month on your Virgin Bill,
    if you do not have Size XL TV upgrade to it and tell them that you want Baby TV on there as well, they will enable it without you being charged,
    if you do get charged, then when you get your Virgin Bill and say that you were told as a special offer you can have the Baby TV channel as well
    and they will refund you the £3.50 back off your next bill

The Disney Cinematic channel is only Free if you have the Sky Movies Collection or you can add it for £5 a month, I have the Sky Movies channels on Sky,
    so I do not need this channel and will be not watching it in that room, my Sky box and Virgin TiVo boxes are in different rooms
    that is why I have asked Virgin Customer Retentions to add the Baby TV channel
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm on standard mates rates with Tivo: which includes (I think)

XL Phone (inc. free local calls, cheap mobile & international)
    XL Broadband (60 mb)
    XL TV
    Tivo box
    Additional V+ box.

I pay a total of about £48 a month - which I know if pretty good for my package however the problem is that I don't use my home phone at all (well I receive maybe 2/3 calls a month), my wifi on my laptop can only handle 20 mb connection speed and as I live alone my additional box is never used.

I do like having XL tv though so I doubt I could get cheaper . . . . .
    Forum Member
    I'm on standard mates rates with Tivo: which includes (I think)

XL Phone (inc. free local calls, cheap mobile & international)
    XL Broadband (60 mb)
    XL TV
    Tivo box
    Additional V+ box.

I pay a total of about £48 a month - which I know if pretty good for my package however the problem is that I don't use my home phone at all (well I receive maybe 2/3 calls a month), my wifi on my laptop can only handle 20 mb connection speed and as I live alone my additional box is never used.

I do like having XL tv though so I doubt I could get cheaper . . . . .

I think that you may find that you cannot get a cheaper deal because if you take out the Premier Collection for £45 plus the £13.90 Phone Line Rental =£58.90 it will cost you more
    then you need to add £5 a month for the Size XL Phone package, another £2 for the Mobile package and another £2 for the International package

Your total is therefore £67.90 a month including the Phone Line Rental but without any discounts so you have to phone Virgin up for the exact price and see which is better

For your wife's Laptop you need to Install a USB N Adapter/Stick to get the fastest speeds or a N Network card for the inside of her Laptop unless she has one of these already
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Old(ish) thread I know, but im on XL TV, 30MB Broadband, and M phone (so weekends only). Thats £59 includng the line rental. Thats for the TIvo 1GB main box and a standard box upstairs. Im still on my 6 month discount though so currently its only £39.

i dont have the Sports or Movies - but comming from Sky paying £76 (with those two packages admittedly) which didnt include a phone line, phonecalls ot braodband Im fairly happy at present. uincluding the BT calls/broadband i was paying a grand total of £132/month for all services with a slower Broadback (usually around 18Gb) though as I say that included sky sports and Movies.

Im thinking of upgrading my phone to XL though. No idea of the extra costs (and cant find it from Vigin - there only quoting for an upgrade to L). Virgin calls are blinkin expensive if outside your package, and as ill be looking for work soon i may have to use the phone in the day. As it is - if the wife rings here dad for a hour in an evening thats £6 - against £4.90 extra for free weekend calls. she only has to make one call a month to be worth while.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh - my only real issue. i used to use a USB hard drive as a network drive on my old routers (both a BT one and aa AOL one before that) but with the virgin router THERES NO USB SOCKET !!!!!! Thats really not good. I cant see a way round it either - i tried a USB/Ethernet adaptor but although the drive has its own power - it needs a signal (power) from the router to turn on from standby (it senses its attached). The Ethernet outlets dont carry that power. If I want the same service Ive got to buy a proper NAS drive - thats £100 i really didnt/dont want to spend. Grrrr all for the sake of no USB socket on the router.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im thinking of upgrading my phone to XL though. No idea of the extra costs (and cant find it from Vigin - there only quoting for an upgrade to L).

£8 per month:

http://store.virginmedia.com/phone/phone-fibre-optic/compare-fibre-optic/index.html
    Forum Member

£5 a month if you have their 100MB Broadband package, soon to be their 120MB Broadband package
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get mine for about £95.

<--
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £5 a month if you have their 100MB Broadband package, soon to be their 120MB Broadband package

Irrelevant to the question posed but useful information if you can provide a link to this information on the Virgin Media website.
    Forum Member
    Irrelevant to the question posed but useful information if you can provide a link to this information on the Virgin Media website.

Just go the Virgin Basket on their website and select 100MB Broadband on the dropdown options and do the same for the Size XL Phone
    and you should get both for £30.50 a month

I cannot Link it because it just goes to the start of the Basket process
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just go the Virgin Basket on their website and select 100MB Broadband on the dropdown options and do the same for the Size XL Phone
    and you should get both for £30.50 a month

I cannot Link it because it just goes to the start of the Basket process

Just for your information, the same seems to apply if the BB is only BB XL 60Mb.
  • plumsplums Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    M phone,XL TV,V+HD box,,10MB broadband = £57.90

Now reduced for phone by paying £120 upfront

Looking at other posts seems like I need to call Retentions ! :eek:
  • CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Currently we pay £28.90 for 10Mb internet and Phone M.

However, as of Wednesday we will be getting SuperHub 30Mb internet, V HD Box TV M+, Phone M [free installation] for £28.40.

We were offered the 30Mb internet and Phone M for £20.40 as well, but thought for the £8 extra we may as well add TV [and we still save 50p!]
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    I don't know how much they cost but yes you can definitely get the best international parcel delivery service from wesendparcels.