A Good Day To Die Hard Rated 12A By BBFC Uncut

Comments

• pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm going to start upgrading to BluRay soon after I get my BluRay player. Want to sort through my DVD's, see which ones I'd like to have on BluRay and which I can live with just on DVD, then sell the ones I'm gonna upgrade to Blu and use the money from the sale to fund part of it.

I might buy them individually rather than as box sets though. I see Sainsbury's were selling Die Hard, Die Hard 2 and Die Hard 4.0 in brand new 2 disc editions on DVD with some lovely new cover art for £4 each. Not surprisingly, Die Hard 3 was nowhere to be found so I would hate to buy 1, 2 and 4 and have 3 sitting inbetween them on the shelf looking different! I'm very particular about stuff, probably more OCD than particular but hey!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    well another crap decision by the distributors.. it's put me off completely.. the movie studio need their arses kicking for wanting the UK to get the watered down crap version and the US get an uncut version.. this is shades of Terminator 3 all over again.. they may as well given Bruce a paintball gun instead!!!! Enough is enough.. we need to start a website campaign against the PG-13 films coming across from Hollywood.. we want 18 rated, uncut films.. I'm absolutely sick of these mØtherƒuckër$.. yippee-ki-yay! :mad:
  • Theo_BearTheo_Bear Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dttuser wrote: »
    well another crap decision by the distributors.. it's put me off completely.. the movie studio need their arses kicking for wanting the UK to get the watered down crap version and the US get an uncut version.. this is shades of Terminator 3 all over again.. they may as well given Bruce a paintball gun instead!!!! Enough is enough.. we need to start a website campaign against the PG-13 films coming across from Hollywood.. we want 18 rated, uncut films.. I'm absolutely sick of these mØtherƒuckër$.. yippee-ki-yay! :mad:

While I entirely agree with you, few 18 rated action films make any money these days. Just look at Dredd. Most of them go straight to DVD like the Segal and Van Damme B movie crap.

The truth is that Fox could release the AGDTDH uncut in the US because the R rating doesn't stop the kids from going in with mummy and daddy. In the UK, child entrance stops at 15. With the UK being a major source of box office revenue, Fox can financially tolerate uncut versions with 15 certs in countries like the Irish Republic where the gross will always be small.

If British cinema goers are being refused uncut films by the distributors, and are generally being treated like the children which Fox so seem to obsessed to cater for, then don't pay to see the film. The likes of Fox will soon learn.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

The teenage market rules the multiplexes, I'll wait for the Blu-Ray.
  • TremseTremse Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not good news, this means I'll have to go to a much later screening to avoid all the annoying teenagers in with their mates and more interested in checking Facebook on their phones than watching the film. :rolleyes:
  • fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    Tremse wrote: »
    Not good news, this means I'll have to go to a much later screening to avoid all the annoying teenagers in with their mates and more interested in checking Facebook on their phones than watching the film. :rolleyes:

I have see old grannies doing that anyway, was at the cinema and some guy walked out of the movie to answer the phone, why would you talk on the phone when you are at the cinema, just switch it off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I do remember Terminator 3 being rated 12A here but R there: was it cut over here?
  • fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    PR0J3CT wrote: »
    I do remember Terminator 3 being rated 12A here but R there: was it cut over here?

On the BBFC website it says it passed with no cuts.
  • PriliclaPrilicla Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well i won`t be going to the cinema and just wait for uncut dvd !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    well another crap decision by the distributors.. it's put me off completely.. the movie studio need their arses kicking for wanting the UK to get the watered down crap version and the US get an uncut version.. this is shades of Terminator 3 all over again..

At least Terminator 3 was completely uncut and the same as the R rated US version over here, it was one of the strongest 12A certificates at the time (with three uses of the F word, two of which were in quick succession, and some fairly bloody violence).

I've spoke to a few friends tonight about this, some of which were supposed to be going to see it on release day, and they're all appalled that it's been cut, all of them have said how they're not even bothered about seeing it now. Hopefully this attitude is more common than just my friends, Fox need to get the message that we wont put up with watered down shit. If i'd not already got tickets booked for Thursday morning i'd be avoiding this like the plague (you can't get refunds for pre-booked tickets from Cineworld though unfortunately, so i guess i'll have to suffer it...at least it's an early bird screening so they're getting less of my money).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    12A or not the film sounds like a piece of s*** anyway so let's just all do ourselves a favour and avoid it. Unfortunately I have a feeling this film will still do well at the box office regardless.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A quick note to those waiting on the uncut BluRay, you may never see it.

Die Hard 4 was only released on DVD in it's "ultimate action" version, you can't get it on BluRay, so who's to say that the same won't apply for Die Hard 5?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Paddy C wrote: »

Die Hard 4 was only released on DVD in it's "ultimate action" version, you can't get it on BluRay, so who's to say that the same won't apply for Die Hard 5?

Because if that's the case, you could just pick up the uncut blu ray from somewhere else in Europe (not Ireland, they get the same DVDs as us normally)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, sadly, Ireland get the same DVD's and even the same movie cuts as the UK. The Irish version of Bridget Jones's Diary has the C word removed which was done by Universal for the UK release, but every other country got it. It's annoying how movie companies treat the territories the same instead of two separate countries with different rules and regulations regarding content and ratings.
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    Yes, sadly, Ireland get the same DVD's and even the same movie cuts as the UK. The Irish version of Bridget Jones's Diary has the C word removed which was done by Universal for the UK release, but every other country got it. It's annoying how movie companies treat the territories the same instead of two separate countries with different rules and regulations regarding content and ratings.

I generally go for the US version provided it's region free, which most are theses days.

What surprises me is that US TV is heavily censored yet their DVD and BD are not. UK TV is much more relaxed, anything normally goes after the watershed, I have heard many comments from actors saying can I say &#@% on UKTV, with the interviewer saying you already have, so a more relaxed view for TV yet the UK has so many cuts on movie releases, to me it makes no sense.

The only thing I can think of is, the lower the rating the larger the perceived audience.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member

That's a bit different though since the Ultimate Action Edition was a rush job to try and satisfy the people who felt 4.0 was too tame for a Die Hard movie, it's also not been released on Blu Ray anywhere in the world, whereas the theatrical version was the same cut everywhere. The Ultimate Action Edition really is quite embarassing to watch since half of the time Bruce Willis's lips don't even move to the swear words that he's saying (although saying that, even the theatrical version has moments where charcters blatantly don't say the words that their mouths move to) , and the blood is ridiculously poor CGI. As far as Fox are concerned, the theatrical version is the true version, hence why only that version is available on Blu Ray.

I've no doubt that Fox will release the uncut version on Blu Ray in a few months, Fox also butchered Taken 2 for it's UK theatrical release, similarly being downgraded from a 15 to a 12A, but the recent Blu Ray release is now the uncut 15 rated version, marketed as the "Extended Harder Cut". Fox will blatantly do the same thing with A Good Day to Die Hard.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    I generally go for the US version provided it's region free, which most are theses days.

What surprises me is that US TV is heavily censored yet their DVD and BD are not. UK TV is much more relaxed, anything normally goes after the watershed, I have heard many comments from actors saying can I say &#@% on UKTV, with the interviewer saying you already have, so a more relaxed view for TV yet the UK has so many cuts on movie releases, to me it makes no sense.

The only thing I can think of is, the lower the rating the larger the perceived audience.
    That's because the rules on American TV are tighter than the rules for films. The FCC has very loose guidelines on what's acceptable on TV and what isn't, and tends to apply them erratically. Whereas the MPAA just behave erratically, not that it matter since their system isn't legally enforceable...
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    fhs man 2 wrote: »
    On the BBFC website it says it passed with no cuts.

Terminator 3 was really pretty strong for a 12A IMO and should have been a 15.
  • roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,894
    Forum Member
    I know. My (at the time) 12yo niece had to cover her eyes and look away at the bit she punches her hand through that guys chest - in full grisly detail. Was pretty shocking to see it in a 12.

Not sure what the BBFC were thinking with that. It's a 15-rated film all day long.
  • bgtensionbgtension Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    roger_50 wrote: »
    I know. My (at the time) 12yo niece had to cover her eyes and look away at the bit she punches her hand through that guys chest - in full grisly detail. Was pretty shocking to see it in a 12.

Not sure what the BBFC were thinking with that. It's a 15-rated film all day long.

It's a shame they haven't shown the same leniency with Die Hard 5:mad:
  • filmfan7filmfan7 Posts: 3,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree !... this annoys me so much in films like The Woman in Black and The Lovely Bones should have been a 15 but as usual the dollar and pound signs come up in front of film executives and everything is about profit and what do you get ?...screaming kids at a important moment in the film aaaaaaaaaaahhh ! what about the paying public !...the Die Hard films should always be an 18 ! to keep the kids out of the cinema !...and leave this classic franchise to people who really what to see it in peace and quiet !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fhs man 2 wrote: »
    If this film fails, Bruce's dream of a 6th a final film will be over.

What happened to the days when the BBFC used to give their own opinion like Gremlins they were going to cut that to receive a PG rating instead of a 15 rating but they managed to get the company to make no cuts and release it as a 15.

According To what Bruce said on The One Show last week theres is gonna be a DIe Hard 6 !..probbaly call it Die Hard PG 13 ! or Die Hard with a nappy on ! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've no doubt that Fox will release the uncut version on Blu Ray in a few months, Fox also butchered Taken 2 for it's UK theatrical release, similarly being downgraded from a 15 to a 12A, but the recent Blu Ray release is now the uncut 15 rated version, marketed as the "Extended Harder Cut". Fox will blatantly do the same thing with A Good Day to Die Hard.

Well its the same about having to pay more to see extra stuff on Blue Ray than standard Dvds ..another case of squeezing every penny out of of the hard earning pubic ! and you can bet there will be another box set with the 5th one on then another when the 6th Die Hard comes out !
  • Dar WDar W Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching Die Hard 2,i blame this film on getting lower classifications for films.I remember seeing it at the cinema with a 15 cert and it was liking watching a tv version with overdubs on some of the F**Ks and it took the 18 cert Widescreen video that you had all the sweary/violence in uncut glory
  • Nolan DeckardNolan Deckard Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well this film is taking a drilling from critics.

Started at 0, now upto a whopping 9% on RT. Seems like it is going to be terrible no matter what the rating.