Top Up TV, will it survive past 2013?

Comments

• Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chronic lack of investment and a feeling that no one cares anymore. I expect this will be the final year for Top Up TV :eek:
  • freetoview33freetoview33 Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chronic lack of investment and a feeling that no one cares anymore. I expect this will be the final year for Top Up TV :eek:

That is on my 2013 Christmas list to Santa!
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I cancelled our Top Up TV service on New Year's Eve.

As i've now got BT Infinity, BT Vision+ Unlimited offers me free ESPN plus the other BT channels for less than I was paying for Top Up TV plus the addition of the HD Channels and the likes of BBC iPlayer, 4OD, etc. A "no-brainer" to be honest.

Sad, but Top Up TV hasn't evolved to keep up with the competition.
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think 2013 will probably be the year TopUp TV sells to a competitor.
    Quite a few unknowns at the moment to determine its value ie when do BT's DTT slots expire, will ESPN UK continue, how many people will/are defecting to NowTV/BT Vision/TalkTalk TV.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    I really liked the idea of TopUp TV, a contract-free premium option for people who can't afoord or can't access the bigger pay TV platforms is great. If they do collapse, is there any chance someone else swoops in to provide premium linear channels in their place? Only such possibility I can think of is Sky resurrecting the Picnic project and that seems impossibly unlikely with NOW's rollout underway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be good to know how many top up people have BT and TalkTalk BB
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In response to TVPaulD I doubt if anyone would want to take over from TUTV not with youview etc. It might have been possible a few years ago if say ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5 & BT had got together with TUTV then there might have been a reason to put together a TV and sports package on a pay platform but with all the changes in the last 2 yrs that just doesn't get much interest.

When TUTV was started the idea was to fill a niche market, with the costs of every day life rocketing and Sky & Virgin being so costly TUTV could appeal if there was a PVR for sale, if there was investment in advertising and getting more providers but as it stands the service is sadly on it's last legs and I really don't see anyone else being all that interested.

The company sold off it's broadcast space to make money, sold it's R & D unit so there isn't much left.

The really sad thing is I suspect there are still a lot of people out there who would see the value of this service if it had been more reliable when the anytime service started and if they had been able to keep up the qaulity of providers and scope of the service past Sept 2011.

All my own view and I am sure most people think it is silly.

But think how many people can't really afford main stream pay tv, don't have the internet or can't have cable or a dish and that was TUTV's target now the service, without investment and major change to the general view of the company, really isn't going anywhere.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,396
    Forum Member
    I cancelled our Top Up TV service on New Year's Eve.

As i've now got BT Infinity, BT Vision+ Unlimited offers me free ESPN plus the other BT channels for less than I was paying for Top Up TV plus the addition of the HD Channels and the likes of BBC iPlayer, 4OD, etc. A "no-brainer" to be honest.

Sad, but Top Up TV hasn't evolved to keep up with the competition.

If they want to have any chance of surviving, then they ought perhaps to consider moving to IPTV delivery of entertainment and sports channels as soon as possible. They've adapted to changing circumstances before but this time there's precious little sign of any action for whatever reason.
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    I think 2013 will probably be the year TopUp TV sells to a competitor.
    Quite a few unknowns at the moment to determine its value ie when do BT's DTT slots expire, will ESPN UK continue, how many people will/are defecting to NowTV/BT Vision/TalkTalk TV.

There might be a residual value of that business not least because of the subscriber/former subscriber list and I suspect that BT Vision and TalkTalk would probably be the most likely beneficiaries of any such Top Up TV subscriber list because they could wind down the Top Up TV side of things whilst doing some discount marketing to the remaining subscribers.
  • acoolwelshblokeacoolwelshbloke Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they want to have any chance of surviving, then they ought perhaps to consider moving to IPTV delivery of entertainment and sports channels as soon as possible. They've adapted to changing circumstances before but this time there's precious little sign of any action for whatever reason.

I doubt they have the money, backing or resources. They will go under just a matter of time.
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt they have the money, backing or resources. They will go under just a matter of time.
    They're owned by a massive company owned by a billionaire so if there was a business case then the money's there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    They're owned by a massive company owned by a billionaire so if there was a business case then the money's there.

But there is no will to make it work
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That I think hits the nail on the head.

The chap to owns it doesn't really care.

Much as some of us might say how much we hate Sky the bosses do care about the service enough to look at new ways to expand and move into new markets.

The owner of TUTV bought the company then left someone in charge more than likely with a remit to keep the company going sell any assests that might help to keep it afloat but there isn't the real investment in selling the product that would allow it's niche market to remain stable or even grow rather than shrink.

If they had sufficent broadcast space to bring GOLD back to a 6 pm to 11 pm slot and increase download hours, if they invested in development of a HD box and if they where willing to get rights to more content for the downloads then the company could still fill a much needed space.

As the above doesn't seem likely to happen TUTV will continue to decline until what's left is sold off and we will get more rubbish on the DTT platform and all wonder what's the point.

Personally if they had increased the subs to say £20.00 and had also ensured content and hours etc. I would have been happy to pay. As it is the service has got steadily worse since 2011 I can understand why none sports fans have dumped it in favour of BT etc.

But I don't want internet based TV as it still freezes etc. and it still costs every month with internet costs etc. so that leaves freeview, ah well could be worse.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And now for a nail in the coffin!

There appear to be no new downloads for GOLD after 15/01/13.

My friend emailed TUTV last week and they replied last Friday that they where not aware of any planned changes to the service, which is their stock response when either they don't know or aren't permitted to say what's going on.

Add to that the fact that there are no new GOLD downloads listed on the website after the 15th either so it makes you think that this is it!

Wonder if GOLD does go will they finally update the front page of What's on and take Jessie, Austin and Alley and GOLD off.

Now I admit a few months back US Drama listed no new updates then suddenly they where there again so it might just be a timing issue and the 14 day guide still lists GOLD on channel 20 running 11am to 2 pm after the 15th but that doesn't mean much as it still listed programmes 6pm to 11 pm right up until just before 06/12/2011 when GOLD changed the last time just before Channel 5+1 started.

I much rather lose C & I if it meant we could keep GOLD!

Anyway unless there is a change in the next couple of days this service looks set to go, which is a shame as there was a repeat of 2 point 4 children coming up and I haven't seen that in a while, since about this time last year I think.

It's at times like this I wish GOLD was the channel UKTV puts on freeview to replace Dave Ja Vue.
  • DXRulzDXRulz Posts: 4,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And now for a nail in the coffin!

There appear to be no new downloads for GOLD after 15/01/13.

My friend emailed TUTV last week and they replied last Friday that they where not aware of any planned changes to the service, which is their stock response when either they don't know or aren't permitted to say what's going on.

Add to that the fact that there are no new GOLD downloads listed on the website after the 15th either so it makes you think that this is it!

Wonder if GOLD does go will they finally update the front page of What's on and take Jessie, Austin and Alley and GOLD off.

Now I admit a few months back US Drama listed no new updates then suddenly they where there again so it might just be a timing issue and the 14 day guide still lists GOLD on channel 20 running 11am to 2 pm after the 15th but that doesn't mean much as it still listed programmes 6pm to 11 pm right up until just before 06/12/2011 when GOLD changed the last time just before Channel 5+1 started.

I much rather lose C & I if it meant we could keep GOLD!

Anyway unless there is a change in the next couple of days this service looks set to go, which is a shame as there was a repeat of 2 point 4 children coming up and I haven't seen that in a while, since about this time last year I think.

It's at times like this I wish GOLD was the channel UKTV puts on freeview to replace Dave Ja Vue.

If you look on this page, it lists GOLD but the "From:" and "To:" sections under GOLD's info are blank, but the rest all have dates?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True but the front page of the what's on section is wrong as it still lists Jessie and Austin & Alley on Disney which went off air after 30/11/12 then disappeared off the TUTV selection on the PVR about a week later.

So I really don't know what's right and what isn't.

Equally if you look at the comedy section if the 14 day guide there is nothing new listed for GOLD after 15/01/13 but drama and factual have new programmes but then again the kids section is blank and there are programmes downloaded weekly via the freeview picking service they set up to replace the other kids programmes.

My friend emailed TUTV again this week to see if there will be a response confirming that GOLD is on the way out.

Plus does anyone know if people with the Sports package still get access to GOLD because if they do then surely TUTV will need to send them out letters confirming that the service is to be pulled.

I am also wondering if this has anything to do with the fact that TUTV timeshares the space for GOLD with Marketplace, Home, ESPN. Maybe they ahve brought the contract to an end with UKTV and sold the three hour slot to Marketplace or have expanded ESPN to the same length seven days a week. But then again that wouldn't work as who would be watching where with GOLD the shows are downloaded so you can watch them later in the day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Given the limited hours Gold transmits and the even more limited amount of subscribers its unlikely to be worth while it continuing as part of TUTV. Its available full time on other subscription platforms so it will make little to no impact on them.
  • tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has it been confirmed that GOLD,is leaving Topuptv? I don't think we should go by the EPG as it been wrong in the past and could be updated soon.
  • NightdeamonNightdeamon Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given the limited hours Gold transmits and the even more limited amount of subscribers its unlikely to be worth while it continuing as part of TUTV. Its available full time on other subscription platforms so it will make little to no impact on them.

Even though it probably wont, it adds to the mystery of what will replace Dave Ja Vu. If Gold doesn't replace it they may swap LCN25 for LCN20 when they finally decide what they are going to do with it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lets assume top up closes down or GOLD and Home leave Top Up. Whatever the new channel is it will go on 20, then 2 other channels probably Dave Ja Vu back on 25 for a few hours a day and I Guess Yesterday+1 for a few hours a day on 26 just to keep the slots!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well Gold programmes like Last Of The Summer Wine still seem to be listed on the website till 22nd Jan for what its worth. Not that the website is kept up to date!

http://www.topuptv.com/whats+on/tv+favourites/in+detail#
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The new programmes are only downloading upto the 15th and will disappear off the box unless saved after the 21st. The layout of the data can be confusing and the front page still hasn't been updated.

The 14 day epg on my PVR still lists GOLD programmes upto the 28th but that doesn't always mean much plus the website isn't very often kept fully upto date and there has been no response from TUTV to the last email sent by my mate so I'm darned if I know. I just though that we might keep going with the last few providers until at least the autumn of 2013.

But will keep waiting to see what happens, it would be nice if GOLD went free to air but I think the general view is Blighty will be the new channel with a different schedule.
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,418
    Forum Member
    Well Gold programmes like Last Of The Summer Wine still seem to be listed on the website till 22nd Jan for what its worth. Not that the website is kept up to date!

http://www.topuptv.com/whats+on/tv+favourites/in+detail#

Last of the Summer WIne is a Yesterday programme. I don't think they show it on GOLD, at least not within the hours it broadcasts on TUTV.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Summer Wine is on both GOLD and Yesterday, with two shows on GOLD round 11am to 12:20pm week days then My Family, One Foot in the Grave etc following.

The 14 day guide still shows GOLD programes on channel 20 until Tuesday 28th Jan but no new downloads and now there are no new Picture Box films listed after Friday 25th Jan. But then again the guide can take until the end of the week to fully update sometimes so it doesn't always mean very much.

The banner on the PVR continues to hearld TV Fav's, Picture Box and sports with the monthly rate noted.

We still haven't heard anything back from TUTV.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally if they had increased the subs to say £20.00 and had also ensured content and hours etc. I would have been happy to pay. As it is the service has got steadily worse since 2011 I can understand why none sports fans have dumped it in favour of BT etc.

But I don't want internet based TV as it still freezes etc. and it still costs every month with internet costs etc. so that leaves freeview, ah well could be worse.

I didn't have the Sports Package when I was subscribed to TUTV because £40+ a month for the three channels was too much for me to justify with how much I would use it as I'm a rugby and cricket fan with no interest in football.

However with BT Vision+ I pay £12.50 for the Unlimited service, so a similar price to the TUTV TV Favourites Package, and get ESPN included in that price, and for an additional £20 a month I can have Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports 2 as well, so half the price for a far better service..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hello again folks

Well my 14 day guide has now updated and both GOLD and Picture Box are listed as having new downloads upto Jan 30th so far.

Sorry if everyone saw this as a good omen that GOLD was going free to air, it still might down the line but I don't think that will be for some time.

Once again sorry folks and thanks for all your input.