Jimmy Saville to be revealed as a paedophile? (Part 7)

Comments

• daveyfsdaveyfs Posts: 1,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did distinguish between mild "groping"/bottom pinching/ cuddle types and full sexual abuse. Bottom pinching was regarded as the norm if you visited Italy in the 60s/70s. Don't tell me it isn't the same now as I am fully aware of that. PC is now crazy and as a feminist in the 60s who fought for equal pay and equal rights I find the current pathetic attitude to being whistled at or having your bottom pinched very silly. Grow up and take compliments. There is no feminism today. It has died and been taken over by women who cannot be feminine.

I find your general comments patronising. I was in private with Rolf as it was in a TV studio and there were times when no one else was around. You don't know so don't comment.

I would rather see some of the alleged politicians questioned. What has happened re the North Wales care home investigation? This side has gone quiet and yet the celebs are still being brought in. It is easy to get them and hard to get through the walls protecting the political and public figures.

Well said SC4.

The bit in bold is extremely important and, in my view, the key to why the media are so nervous about this whole issue.
  • AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IzzyS wrote: »
    (Rolf Harris) its been documented that he suffers from depression

I remember him having a meltdown on TV-AM or GMTV or whatever one of the BBC/ITV morning things was called at the time, when they played Mike & The Mechanics "The Living Years".
  • sozzled2daysozzled2day Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Press intrusion: Don't name suspects in the media until charged, urges MP.
    Robert Buckland calls for reporting restrictions to be imposed as controversy over 'secret arrests' grows.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/apr/21/press-intrusion-name-suspects

Totally agree. It's non productive and hugely unfair and stressful for any innocent people being named.
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    The naming by The Sun is nought to do with 'press freedom', the 'right to know', 'public interest' or so called 'secret arrests' it's to do with the tabloids campaign against regulation.

The papers want to present the image of the 'rich & powerful' censoring the press, when it's about running any old story that sells.

Take the arrests within the scope of 'Operation Yewtree', the tabloids and some saliva dripping contributors to this thread are eager to the name and shame the 'celebs' arrested but it's not deemed in the public interest to name the non celebs that have been arrested?

The tabloids and the investigative truth seeking shape shifting lizards are exactly the same, if it ain't a celeb or a notorious case their interest wanes.

The Mail & Sun want to return to the days when they had the freedom to write whatever they like about whoever they dodn't like...the 'extremely rich and powerful' owners of The Sun & The Mail believe they should be above the law and be allowed to hold the courts and fairness of trials in contempt.

Christopher Jefferies was plucked out of obscurity to have the 'dots joined up' and have this publicly flung at him....

I'm guessing the apology was buried away on page 10? :rolleyes: I heard one of the recommendations of the Levenson report includes making such apologies much more prominent in newspapers, which is a good thing.
    Asmo wrote: »
    I remember him having a meltdown on TV-AM or GMTV or whatever one of the BBC/ITV morning things was called at the time, when they played Mike & The Mechanics "The Living Years".

Really? wow :(
  • lemonbunlemonbun Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    Asmo wrote: »

I cry when I hear that song - even when I'm driving. It is a very emotional song. No other song has that affect on me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemonbun wrote: »
    I cry when I hear that song - even when I'm driving. It is a very emotional song. No other song has that affect on me.
    Me too. Mike Rutherford couldn't even bring himself to sing it which is why Paul Carrack took the lead. What makes it so sad is it's how Mike really felt about his dad, but never got the chance to tell him while he was alive. Very sad song.
  • lemonbunlemonbun Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    Me too. Mike Rutherford couldn't even bring himself to sing it which is why Paul Carrack took the lead. What makes it so sad is it's how Mike really felt about his dad, but never got the chance to tell him while he was alive. Very sad song.

I defy anyone to get to the end of that song without having goose pimples. It is so emotional.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Actually Mike Rutherford was never really the singer in Mike and The Mechanics, He was the writer and guitarist. Paul Carrack and the Late Paul Young (different one), were the main singers, It was also written with BA Robertson. Most of the Lyrics came from him as like mike he too had lost his father at the time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Actually Mike Rutherford was never really the singer in Mike and The Mechanics, He was the writer and guitarist. Paul Carrack and the Late Paul Young (different one), were the main singers, It was also written with BA Robertson. Most of the Lyrics came from him as like mike he too had lost his father at the time.
    I didn't know BA Robertson wrote it!! I just read on Wiki that "The Mike + The Mechanics version was initially promoted to give the impression about the disagreements between Rutherford and his father, who had recently died." That's why I'd always assumed it was about Mike's father. A moving song no matter who it was about though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemonbun wrote: »
    I defy anyone to get to the end of that song without having goose pimples. It is so emotional.
    I know. It really is.
  • Early BirdEarly Bird Posts: 2,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-22244494
    Sinn Fein president Gerry Adams has denied withholding information about alleged child sex abuse to save his political skin.

Child abuse is "above politics" and saving his skin was "no consideration whatsoever," he told Belfast Crown Court.

He was giving evidence at the trial of his brother, Liam, who denies 10 charges of sexually abusing his daughter Aine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Detectives on Operation Fernbridge are investigating their own watchdog over claims that it failed to examine allegations of child sex abuse at Richmond.

http://www.exaronews.com/articles/4936/met-investigates-police-watchdog-over-richmond-paedo-ring#.UXV9p5lm5p0.twitter
  • cotton tailcotton tail Posts: 474
    Forum Member
    A man has been arrested by Operation Pallial officers conducting an investigation into recent allegations of historic child abuse in North Wales
    The man was arrested in Ipswich, Suffolk, on suspicion of a number of serious sexual offences against a number of individuals.
    The man is being taken from Ipswich to a police station in North Wales, where he will be interviewed.
    This is the first arrest by Operation Pallial, which began investigations in November 2012. The investigation is led by Detective Superintendent Ian Mulcahey of Merseyside Police, supported by officers and staff from the Serious Organised Crime Agency, Child Exploitation and Online Protection centre and forces across the country.
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Freddie Starr has been arrested on suspicion of further sexual offences, reports @lucymanning: http://itv.co/15Hzyjp

https://twitter.com/itvnews/statuses/327140179204767745
    Freddie Starr has been arrested again on suspicion of further sexual offences. He has been bailed until June #yewtree

https://twitter.com/lucymanning/statuses/327139334992044032
  • occyoccy Posts: 64,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems it will not end
  • occyoccy Posts: 64,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose the police have a time limit to release or charge all who have been arrested so far for these allegations. So if they need time to look through the information or fresh claims will lead to rearrests. I guess all those arrested will need to either be charged soon or charges dropped.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,802
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    I suppose the police have a time limit to release or charge all who have been arrested so far for these allegations. So if they need time to look through the information or fresh claims will lead to rearrests. I guess all those arrested will need to either be charged soon or charges dropped.

Apparently not.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I find the current pathetic attitude to being whistled at or having your bottom pinched very silly. Grow up and take compliments. There is no feminism today. It has died and been taken over by women who cannot be feminine.

There is a big difference between being whistled at and being groped. I've experienced both and whilst being whistled at didn't bother me at all, in fact it made me laugh, being groped did. Why should I have to tolerate a stranger invading my personal space and touching me intimately just because I happen to be walking past them? I don't go around doing it to others, I keep my hands to myself, so why should they do it to me? I certainly don't take it as a compliment and I don't see that it makes me unfeminine to respect my body and make my own decisions as to who touches it or not.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • soundchecksoundcheck Posts: 351
    Forum Member

Some questions on that report, which I think are needed to make sense of it.
    1) how many of those 98 priests are still alive?
    2) how many were still alive at the time the first allegation was made to the police?
    3) how many of those accused have only one allegation made against them?

It's hard to see how a conviction could be obtained when it is simply the word of one person against another and relates to events that are decades old. Even harder if the accused is dead. Or to put it another way, how many of those 98 men are still alive and have multiple allegations made against them? They are the most troubling cases.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,802
    Forum Member
    BBB, The Media Show, should people arrested be named.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01s0dkp

Trevor Kavanagh Associate Editor of The Sun explained why the paper did not originally name Rolf Harris.
    "The reason we did not publish his name when it became widely known is because we did not have enough evidence. We weren't sure until the last moment when we finally decided to go ahead with the publication, that was the reason we did not publish. Once we did know we did not see why this should not be in the public domain."

So was former Surrey police officer Mark William Thomas shooting from the hip last November?

Bearing in mind numerous colleagues of Kavanagh have recently been arrested, some of whom have been charged, he asked why do the police always have to arrest, rather than calling people in to help them with their enquiries. In that case he said there would be no reason to name a person.

He's arguement about a secret police state falls flat on its face, as there's nothing to stop an arrested person themselves informing the media.

To dismiss the idea newspapers imply there's no smoke without fire when someone is arrested. Kavanagh said police do not arrest smoke. He seems to have forgotten his own papers treatment of Christopher Jefferies.
This discussion has been closed.