Recommended Anti Virus For PC

Hi, could anybody recommend an anti virus for a Packard Bell PC Vista 64 Bit? I would like the type you can block certain categories of websites where viruses can be downloaded, like file sharing, shareware etc.
A few months ago I tried Mcafee Total Protection where you could block a certain type of website but the problem was it used to block the internet connection for 10 mins on startup. So I gave up on this, although it does work ok on my Windows XP mini laptop.
Since then I have been using the free Microsoft Security Essentials of my PC which works great to be honest but you cannot block websites with it. The problem is there is another young PC user in my house who occasionally likes to download music from Bear Share, Limewire, 4 Share. The downloaded viruses from these file sharing websites actually messed up my mini laptop when I had MSE in it and it had to be reinstalled with a new XP programme.
Thanks in advance for any recommendations or suggestions.

Comments

• jayzee786jayzee786 Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's already many threads on the forum If you use the search function you can find loads of them regarding this topic.

I personally use MSE and the built in Windows Firewall. I used to use K9 Web Protection which was really good at blocking websites based on categories and user defined blacklists.

http://www1.k9webprotection.com/

I think some anti virus and internet security suites also offer web site blocking but haven't had any experience with them so can't recommend any. :)
  • dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,910
    Forum Member
    I use AVG Free, it's fantastic at catching viruses before they land on my PC
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd use an antivirus like MSE along with OpenDNS. It's designed to block the type of sites you describe.
  • radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    www.cloudantivirus.com
    Its free & does not need up dating
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used Avira for a very short time.
    Got fed up with the nag screen asking me to go Pro
    Could not be bothered with the fix to get rid of it
  • pericompericom Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    Had Avira on before.

Two problems with it:

1. It creates input lag for gaming about 2 frames. It was enough for me to ditch it. Since then my gamings improved. You cant disable or quit it.

2. The pop up ads are annoying as hell.

Gone back to Windows Defender for now. Need a gaming friendly virus killer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Hi, This is my first time on the PC forum and I have tried to look for a relevant thread and this one seems the closest to what I need to ask.
    I have brought a Samsung laptop (delivered tomorrow ) and am looking into what anti virus etc to use, some information says there is a built in "defender" others say install a seperate one.
    I have always used Norton on my old XP.
    Any advice please.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi, This is my first time on the PC forum and I have tried to look for a relevant thread and this one seems the closest to what I need to ask.
    I have brought a Samsung laptop (delivered tomorrow ) and am looking into what anti virus etc to use, some information says there is a built in "defender" others say install a seperate one.
    I have always used Norton on my old XP.
    Any advice please.

Is it a Windows 8 PC? In that case it will have Microsoft's Defender software, which used to be called Microsoft Security Essentials.

Did you ever see a virus on your old XP PC? If not, you may be quite 'safe' in your browsing habits, and Defender will be more than adequate for you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    www.cloudantivirus.com

Ditto here. It runs very light and has very good detection rates.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Hi Stig, Thanks for reply, yes it is a windows 8 pc, I do download games and do my banking on line- do you still think Microsoft Security Essentials would be enough.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would think MSE would be enough plus maybe a weekly scan with something like Malwarebytes. Your bank will also probably recommend Trusteer rapport which adds another layer of security when banking online
  • user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    www.cloudantivirus.com

I use this and technically it does update but it works very differently to other AV protection as it used the Internet to do most of the work, though it does not eat huge chunks of bandwidth :)

You just install it and forget it, it just sits there in the background taking very very resources :)
  • TadpoleTadpole Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those running Microsoft Security Essentials:

Microsoft Security Essentials loses AV-TEST certification
    Microsoft Security Essentials, Redmond’s free antivirus tool for home users and business with up to ten PCs, can detect just 64 per cent of zero-day threats when running under Windows 7.

That low detection rate has cost it the AV-TEST Institute’s seal of approval, a certification it hands out to products that meet 11 of 18 criteria it assess
    Or in other words, Microsoft Security Essentials is not that effective at fighting malware, and may be seen now as encouraging a sense of false security. The tests were carried out on Windows 7.

Full report here
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Can't go wrong with AVG...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AVG. Another with a nag screen
    Also slows down boot time on some PCs
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No AV is perfect as some nasties are deliberately designed to get past anti virus software so unless you have some sort of mega checking proxy server group that checks every packet going in/out using multiple anti viruses theres going to be a chance that some will get past
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replies, I might try the AVG or Avira.

But wondered if anyone knows if McAfee Total protection would be ok to use with Windows Firewall turned off.
    Last time I tried it it took 10mins before the internet connection came on. Would turning off Windows Firewall make it better if only using the McAfee firewall?

Can you do this?
  • dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,910
    Forum Member
    I've been using AVG for a while but most recently noticed that when scanning, it reaches 100% but just sticks on "Finishing.." and never actually completes. I researched this and many other AVG users have been having the same issue with no fix from AVG themselves.

I'm tempted to try Panda Cloud Antivirus.
  • user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kargo wrote: »
    I've been using AVG for a while but most recently noticed that when scanning, it reaches 100% but just sticks on "Finishing.." and never actually completes. I researched this and many other AVG users have been having the same issue with no fix from AVG themselves.

I'm tempted to try Panda Cloud Antivirus

For the price you cannot go wrong :)
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    pericom wrote: »
    Had Avira on before.

Two problems with it:

1. It creates input lag for gaming about 2 frames. It was enough for me to ditch it. Since then my gamings improved. You cant disable or quit it.

2. The pop up ads are annoying as hell.

Gone back to Windows Defender for now. Need a gaming friendly virus killer.

You can disable avira from the icon in the tray.
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    Avira is the best free av. In fact its up there with the top paid AVs too. V high detection rates consistently.