"Bedroom Tax" and people on wait list - a possible solution that works for all?

Comments

• KNIGTHOUTKNIGTHOUT Posts: 779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The tax man will wonder where his money is.
    No a owner occupier or tenant can rent out a furnished room in their home and make £4,250 per year tax-free under rent a room relief.
    https://www.gov.uk/rent-room-in-your-home/the-rent-a-room-scheme
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    KNIGTHOUT wrote: »
    No a owner occupier or tenant can rent out a furnished room in their home and make £4,250 per year tax-free under rent a room relief.
    https://www.gov.uk/rent-room-in-your-home/the-rent-a-room-scheme

The problem is council and HA tenants are not allowed to sublet, it is written into your tenacy agreement
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    You are not allowed to sublet a social housing property

Taking in a lodger is not subletting. Council tenants can usually take in a lodger as long as it doesn't make the house overcrowded, they do have to ask permission first and there are exclusions such as managed accommodation.
    Forum Member
    bobcar wrote: »
    Taking in a lodger is not subletting. Council tenants can usually take in a lodger as long as it doesn't make the house overcrowded, they do have to ask permission first and there are exclusions such as managed accommodation.

Yes but for anyone claiming any benefit it gets very complecated and you need good advice first from CAB because you have to deal with landlord, HB, CT, DWP and your own insurace company, and if not done carefully the tenant can be alot worse off.plus tax office
  • KNIGTHOUTKNIGTHOUT Posts: 779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Are you saying that all current tenancies are below 80% market value? We've had plenty of FMs, in other threads, state that they actually worked in HA, or for the council, and there was definitely, definitely no subsidy on social housing.

Mind, we've also had FMs who say that they're in social housing, and can't afford private rentals in their areas.

How do we reconcile these two statements?
    Reconcile what?
    Private sector rental rates are irrelevant as to if social housing rents are subsidized.
    Charging below market value for something is not subsidizing it.
    Subsidizing it would mean paying money to reduce the cost.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem is council and HA tenants are not allowed to sublet, it is written into your tenacy agreement

That doesn't stop many people doing it on the hush-hush.The OP's suggestion would just be to legalise it.
  • Glyn WGlyn W Posts: 5,819
    Forum Member
    Much simpler would be to exempt people who are on a waiting list for a downsized property to become free rather than blanketing everybody regardless of availability of appropriately sized social housing,
    Forum Member
    Glyn W wrote: »
    Much simpler would be to exempt people who are on a waiting list for a downsized property to become free rather than blanketing everybody regardless of availability of appropriately sized social housing,

I agree if people are looking and trying to move someware smaller
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you saying that all current tenancies are below 80% market value? We've had plenty of FMs, in other threads, state that they actually worked in HA, or for the council, and there was definitely, definitely no subsidy on social housing.

Mind, we've also had FMs who say that they're in social housing, and can't afford private rentals in their areas.

How do we reconcile these two statements?

Social housing is not subsidised, but unlike the private market, it is not run for a profit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes but for anyone claiming any benefit it gets very complecated and you need good advice first from CAB because you have to deal with landlord, HB, CT, DWP and your own insurace company, and if not done carefully the tenant can be alot worse off.plus tax office

That is a different point, I was correcting your statement about subletting.

However under the new rules coming in benefit claimants will be able to keep all the income from lodgers though they will still be subject to the "bedroom tax", hence they will be better off.
  • gavinfarrellygavinfarrelly Posts: 6,195
    Forum Member
    Glyn W wrote: »

Now this I would find fair(er)

Unfortunately the whole point of this isnt to free up larger properties...its to save more on the welfare bill. So no chance of seeing any common sense like the above idea.
    Forum Member
    That is a different point, I was correcting your statement about subletting.

However under the new rules coming in benefit claimants will be able to keep all the income from lodgers though they will still be subject to the "bedroom tax", hence they will be better off.

Can you please tell me were you have read that, because its something i have not heard about, as this means there has been big law changers from the DWP, TAX office, and HB laws.
  • PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can you please tell me were you have read that, because its something i have not heard about, as this means there has been big law changers from the DWP, TAX office, and HB laws.

I have seen this also.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/tenancies/lodger-rules-to-ease-impact-of-bedroom-tax/6522846.article

They are at the moment just proposals but they seem likely to become law.
    Forum Member
    http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/tenancies/lodger-rules-to-ease-impact-of-bedroom-tax/6522846.article

They are at the moment just proposals but they seem likely to become law.

Yes i will keep a eye on this, the problem i see is the bedroom tax comes in april but the universal credt looks like will not come in till 2014, so the old laws apply. to take a lodger in to cover the bedroom tax but you also lose benefit for having a Non-Dependant living in your home plus you still have to deal with the DWP because there rules are differant
    Forum Member
    The uk has the biggest housing shortage since WW2, more low paid jobs since the 60s and is increasing, but goverment after goverment have not learnt anything, we need housing that people can afford .more low paid workers = cannot afford to buy 2 million council and HA homes sold and lets not forget the thousands of military homes sold off. This bedroom tax is not going to change any of that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The uk has the biggest housing shortage since WW2, more low paid jobs since the 60s and is increasing, but goverment after goverment have not learnt anything, we need housing that people can afford .more low paid workers = cannot afford to buy 2 million council and HA homes sold and lets not forget the thousands of military homes sold off. This bedroom tax is not going to change any of that.

do you have a link to these figures. I keep seeing them bandied around but cant find the links ever.
    Forum Member
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    do you have a link to these figures. I keep seeing them bandied around but cant find the links ever.

try this link en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_Buy news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/december/.../4017019.stm
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    try this link en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_Buy

nothing about low paid workers or a housing shortage sorry.
    Forum Member
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    nothing about low paid workers or a housing shortage sorry.

Which figures do you mean, DWP figures show more people that are working are claiming benefits then ever before because of low pay. And the housing shortage well the goverment and every council have said this, Some councils have stoped acepting people one there lists
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which figures do you mean, DWP figures show more people that are working are claiming benefits then ever before because of low pay. And the housing shortage well the goverment and every council have said this, Some councils have stoped acepting people one there lists

yes, some links to those thanks.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KNIGTHOUT wrote: »
    Reconcile what?
    Private sector rental rates are irrelevant as to if social housing rents are subsidized.
    Charging below market value for something is not subsidizing it.
    Subsidizing it would mean paying money to reduce the cost.
    Social housing is not subsidised, but unlike the private market, it is not run for a profit.

Good points. But are you suggesting that social housing is completely self-sufficirnt, without any money from local or national tax payers?

Including, of course, the salaries and other costs of those who administer, support, etc. social housing.
    Forum Member
    Good points. But are you suggesting that social housing is completely self-sufficirnt, without any money from local or national tax payers?

Including, of course, the salaries and other costs of those who administer, support, etc. social housing.

social housing rents have been raised every year and are being brought closer to the private rental, but cost is not the only concern people have about private rental, having a secure tenacy is important,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Apparently it even has surpluses which have in the past gone to the treasury.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/housing-network/2011/jun/09/purse-councils-control-housing-finance
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for those replies. the situation is obviously better than I thought it was. However I notice that, in the article, surplus is defined as income less outgoings (obviously), so it depends what's included in "outgoings". Is it just maintenance?