LOST pointer on laptop ?

HDMIHDMI Posts: 1,346
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I can't get into my laptop as there is no little arrow pointer how do I get it back please? I can only power down the laptop with the power button no other buttons work

Comments

• stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    You don't say which operating system you have.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it like that on both the mouse and the trackpad (or whatever it's called)?
  • HDMIHDMI Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All I get is the opening page with the clock and date no sign of the curser arrow. operating system is windows 8-1
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Try pressing F8. Or whatever button is for the mouse on your laptop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None of the F buttons or any buttons do anything the only button that works is the power off button a neighbour has suggested that the synoptics pointer may have been deleted but he did not know how to check this out?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mac2708 thanks for the info unfortunately all those answers required use of the keyboard and none of the keyboard letters or numbers work on my hp laptop
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HDMI wrote: »
    Mac2708 thanks for the info unfortunately all those answers required use of the keyboard and none of the keyboard letters or numbers work on my hp laptop

Ah you see, you first of all said the cursor doesn't show, but now you say the keyboard doesn't work either.

Try booting up whilst continually pressing the F2 key or the Delete key (try both). That should get you to the BIOS screen, and will show that the keyboard is working.

TBH without the keyboard you can't even get into safe mode.
    Try to get hold of or borrow a computer USB keyboard, and see if it lets you use that to at least get into it.

It may well be though that your computer is freezing at the lock screen, so nothing to do with keyboard or mouse.
    You may need to use a recovery CD to get into it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Empty box thank you for the info idid as you suggested and got the bios screen the cursor was also there and I clicked on system check which took 14 minutes it said all was ok I then pressed exit only to find the keyboard still not working anything else I can do I don't have a recovery disc
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HDMI wrote: »
    Empty box thank you for the info idid as you suggested and got the bios screen the cursor was also there and I clicked on system check which took 14 minutes it said all was ok I then pressed exit only to find the keyboard still not working anything else I can do I don't have a recovery disc

Well the fact that you can get into BIOS shows the keyboard and trackpad are functional, and that the problem is a Windows problem.

If you can get hold of a USB keyboard then try that. It may be that the Windows drivers for the keyboard have been corrupted, although I think that's unlikely.
    It's more likely that something is up with Windows, although it's unusual for it to freeze at the lock screen.

It may be that your laptop has a Recovery Partition. To access you would have to tap one of the function keys after the BIOS screen has passed, but before Windows starts to load.
    It could be F10, but might be F12 or F8.
    That should take you to a menu that gives you various options to do with recovery. Troubleshooting may be one of them.

If the computer does not have a recovery partition, then you'll have to borrow a recovery disk or a Windows 8 installation disk from someone, and boot up with that in the drive, and choose the Repair option.

Either that or take it to someone else to repair it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emptybox.this morning I tried again what you suggested and this time I got a different page which stated that my computer was not working correctly and it gave me 3 options the first one was try computer refresh which it said may remove some if not all of my installs I clicked on that and after about 30 minutes or so everything was working again all I had to do was re-install my comp security etc.Many thanks to you and all the people who advised me on this kind regards david.