T-Mobile increasing my Monthly Bill by £11.00!!!

douknowotimean?douknowotimean? Posts: 1,799
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Has anywhere here had a letter relating to T-Mobile's latest price rise?

I currently pay £21.00 per month for the Full Monty Sim Only (Unlimited everything) which I signed up to in August last year and being on the 12 Month contract I was under the impression I would pay them £21.00 per month.

I could understand if my bill went up by a £1 or £2 as the rate of inflation has increased by 4% and in all fairness they do say in the T&C's that prices may rise due to inflation, but surely to god that shouldn't mean my bill should increase by 50%. That's absolutely scandalous!!

Has anyone else had the same trouble?

Comments

• legends wear 7legends wear 7 Posts: 2,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can cancel the contract in that case
  • douknowotimean?douknowotimean? Posts: 1,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I might go ahead and do that, or would I have much chance of getting an iPhone 5 from them, if I tell them how p***ed off I am with them. The only reason I'm asking is because my dad is gagging for an iPhone and I could give him the one I'm currently using now.

Also if I was to cancel Will I need to get a solicitor involved, and by cancelling the contract would I have to pay off the rest of the contract? IMO I shouldn't they should waive the charges for that scandalous Price rise.

I should have said by the way that my monthly bill with them will be going up to £32.00 per month.
  • Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely thats some kind of mistake? and also the absolute LEAST they can do is send a letter before hand? cant really seeing it increasing that amount though? id be wanting to know exactly what this extra £11 is for
  • Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're on a £31/month tariff with a £10/month discount (check your bills).

The £31/month tariff is being increased by (I think) 3.3% in line with APR, the £10 discount will remain though.
    The problem is that the letters are produced by an automated system that simply fills in the new tariff price, it doesn't see any discounts you may have.

There's no reason or grounds to cancel.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got the same letter and I think it's a mistake. They say it's increasing by £1.00 and then say the new monthly price will be £32. That's the standard Full Monty pricing. You'll notice on your bill that they currently charge £31 and then take £10 off as a discount. I assume they'll continue to take the £10 off, but have confusingly listed the standard FM price in the letter.

EDIT: Similtaneous explanations there!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But even if i can't cancel and they still give me the £10.00 per month discount, they shouldn't send out letters misleading customers! Even a public sector organisation is more competent than T-Mobile.

I will be ringing to make my point clear, even if I cannot cancel or change my contract.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    I can confirm the letter is done by a stupid machine.. Discount still counts.
  • InTheLoopInTheLoop Posts: 6,595
    Forum Member
    OMG me too! But not by that much, im going to ring them and say its illegal, I signed a contract for 26.00 a month, you CANNOT just change it half way through in line with inflation- its simply robbery. I didn't agree to it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    InTheLoop wrote: »
    OMG me too! But not by that much, im going to ring them and say its illegal, I signed a contract for 26.00 a month, you CANNOT just change it half way through in line with inflation- its simply robbery. I didn't agree to it

you signed a contract that says they can put prices up with inflation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But even if i can't cancel and they still give me the £10.00 per month discount, they shouldn't send out letters misleading customers!
    Does the letter say you will be paying £32/month or that the tariff will be £32/month?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The letter actually says I will be paying £32.00 per month and no mention of a discount.
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The letter actually says I will be paying £32.00 per month and no mention of a discount.

I'm on the same plan and have received the same letter. Don't worry - the increase is to the price before our £10 discount, so we'll be paying £22 per month from May onwards.

The letter is badly worded and doesn't mention the fact that we're currently on a £31 plan with a £10 discount. I'm not surprised that some people have misunderstood it.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have the full monty but my increase doesn't make sense either. I am only going up by 34 pence but the new monthly price is not 34 pence more than the existing price.

(there are a couple of discounts applied to my account)

Go back and read the contract you agreed to as it's clear that you either didn't read it in store or just blindly clicked "I agree".

All of the networks have clauses in their contracts permitting them to raise the price without your agreement provided it is in line with inflation (either RPI or CPI, I forget which).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    Mine are also going up by 3.3% and on the back of the letter it says i can cancel my contracts but will have to pay any cancellation charges?

Is this just a one off charge or is it there way of saying i have to pay the monthly amount back multiplied by the months left in contract?

Does this mean i can cancel or not?

cheers
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Unfortunately that's not how it works. All monthly payment contracts these days say that they do have the right to increase the monthly amount mid-term, up to but not more than RPI.

Every single one of the main networks have increased prices for contract customers and it is in the network terms, which were available for you to view on the website.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Everyone can cancel at any time.. but you still have to pay the remaining amount left on your contract (sometimes with an extra early termination fee)

And it is not 'Illegal'.. If anything it is a civil matter, but you signed a contract (in pen or electronically or by accepting/using the phone) to say it is OK for them to do this.
  • Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If my price went up sometime last year(I forget when) but does that mean it won't go up this year?

I'm with Three.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lidtop2013 wrote: »
    If my price went up sometime last year(I forget when) but does that mean it won't go up this year?

I'm with Three.
    Unlikely.

My price went up with T-Mobile last year and it's going up again.
    In all likelihood, networks will keep raising their prices yearly now unless Ofcom steps in and puts an end to the practice.
  • advidadvid Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ..I've only been with T-mobile on a contract for only TWO MONTHS. I took out a 2 year payment plan and like others i'm getting an increase soon....
    I've got a LETTER going out tomorrow (not an email or phone) telling them to cancel or i'm off...Want their reply in WRITING...
    Suggest everyone complains no matter what their contract small print says...they make enough profit as it is without putting prices up any more (to cover their costs -- LAUGH ! - they must be laughing all the way to the bank...at your expense...)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    advid wrote: »
    ..I've only been with T-mobile on a contract for only TWO MONTHS. I took out a 2 year payment plan and like others i'm getting an increase soon....
    I've got a LETTER going out tomorrow (not an email or phone) telling them to cancel or i'm off...Want their reply in WRITING...
    Suggest everyone complains no matter what their contract small print says...they make enough profit as it is without putting prices up any more (to cover their costs -- LAUGH ! - they must be laughing all the way to the bank...at your expense...)

Expect them to tell you to foxtrot oscar - as far as they are concerned you agreed to it. If they say no and you unilaterally decide you're going to stop paying the direct debit or whatever then good luck with the debt collectors.

It doesn't matter how far you are in to the contract. I guess they could say "sure, you can cancel. Just pay us 22 months line rental, as you agreed to in the contract"

Personally I am glad I don't lock myself in for two years. Buying my own phone outright and getting a SIM only contract means that if they do want to play games I can leave pretty much immediately.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three are unlikely to put up prices mid contract again based on the recent hypocrisy they have been spouting about it being "Wrong"
  • advidadvid Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    Expect them to tell you to foxtrot oscar - as far as they are concerned you agreed to it. If they say no and you unilaterally decide you're going to stop paying the direct debit or whatever then good luck with the debt collectors.

It doesn't matter how far you are in to the contract. I guess they could say "sure, you can cancel. Just pay us 22 months line rental, as you agreed to in the contract"

Personally I am glad I don't lock myself in for two years. Buying my own phone outright and getting a SIM only contract means that if they do want to play games I can leave pretty much immediately.

.....'they' know how long customers have been with them and what month their contracts began - if there is to be an increase it should be applied 12 months after their contract start date (or at the earliest - perhaps 6 months)..
    'They' time and cost our phone calls down to the last millisecond - it's not too much to ask them to check what month or year it is !

(11 months - 23hours - 59minutes 59.999 seconds - THEN they can increase the next months payments from then on until another 'customer year' has passed. lol)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three are unlikely to put up prices mid contract again based on the recent hypocrisy they have been spouting about it being "Wrong"
    A lot of stuff was said the first time round but, one by one, each of the networks followed suit.

The only network I'm aware of to have come out and made a definitive statement on the matter is Tesco, who are publicly pledging not to increase prices mid-contract.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm sure I read something in one of the papers this week, where Three are now saying that they will change their contract clauses to state that customers are able to abandon contract if they receive a price rise, or something along those lines.

As for T-Mobile, I tweeted them and funnily enough they sent a direct message saying discounts are not taken into consideration, so why have they my phone up to £32.00? I did respond to them via a private message or something on twitter, this morning, and they are yet to get back to me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    advid wrote: »
    .....'they' know how long customers have been with them and what month their contracts began - if there is to be an increase it should be applied 12 months after their contract start date (or at the earliest - perhaps 6 months)..
    'They' time and cost our phone calls down to the last millisecond - it's not too much to ask them to check what month or year it is !

(11 months - 23hours - 59minutes 59.999 seconds - THEN they can increase the next months payments from then on until another 'customer year' has passed. lol)

Why should they do it that way? Price increases can be applied at any time during the contract as per the terms and conditions. I bet if there was a price decrease (practically improbable I know) you'd want it immediately and not in 10 months time.

There's still the argument that you can avoid all this hassle by not voluntarily agreeing to a 2 year contract. If you're willing to buy your own phone that is.